Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Read this If your App WON'T RUN ANYMORE

Default Read this If your App WON'T RUN ANYMORE
    READ THIS IF your iPhone Bought/Free Apps no longer updates or won't even run.

I have read numerous threads regarding this problem and have came up with some observations. I tried to put them together so the problems might get heard sooner.

Apple Inc. This is a very serious and very frustrating problem that is totally intolerable in any sense of business forms.

The Steps I took in attempt to fix the problem
    ================================================== =======================
    1. iPHONE'S APPSTORE UPDATE ERROR
    Problem first started when I tried to get updates from iPhone's Appstore. It says that I am not eligible for the update and would need to buy it at full price (Free and Paid Apps have same results). I even tried buying it but the a messages says the item is being modified and is not available.

2. iTUNES'S APPSTORE UPDATE ERROR
    So I tried to update it through iTunes, it says I am not eligible again and need to buy it. It also won't let me buy the app. (Free and Paid Apps the same results)

3. iPHONE'S FREE/PAID APPS WOULD NOT RUN ANYMORE
    I tried running some apps I've bought or free from the appstore. They worked before but now after launching the apps, they would close after about 3 seconds and does not work at all. Ugly enough.

4. DELETE APP ON iPHONE, TRY RE-SYNCING FROM iTUNES
    After deleting a app on the iPhone, I tried to sync with iTunes to get it reinstalled on the iPhone. The apps still does not run on the iPhone after reinstallation.

5. DELETE APP ON iPHONE, DELETE APP ON iTUNES (COMPUTER), REDOWNLOAD/REBUY, RESYNC TO iPHONE
    After deleting the apps on iTunes, I am now allowed to buy/free the apps from the Appstore. After syncing to iPhone. Free apps would now work again! Pay apps work as well BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO PAY AGAIN SINCE YOU REDOWNLOADED THE APP!!! Also, the app settings are LOST.

================================================== =

CONCLUSIONS
    So I do not consider the above to be an actual fix.

I have made some observations, it appears that the apps on the iPhone and iTunes are NOT PROPERLY AUTHORIZED. I did not make any abnormal changes to my computer or accounts. Even that the apps I've bought or downloaded free exists on iTunes, they are not really authorized and it sends a signal to my iPhone that I am not allowed to run the apps. Resulting in the serious problems. This is explained by why the apps work after you DELETE THEM FROM YOUR COMPUTER, REBUY/FREEDOWNLOAD AGAIN and transferring to the iPhone.

APPLE, DO YOU REALLY WANT US TO BUY THE APPS AGAIN WHILE RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE? DO YOU WANT US TO LOSE ALL THE APP DATA (Like wine pad, Todo etc.) DO YOU EXPECT US NOT TO GET THE PAID APPS COS WE GET CHARGED AGAIN? (I have verified double charging took place in purchase history)

Please feel free to discuss on this and correct me if you have a solution.
    Use the "Thank you" option if someone helped you solve your problems!

Migrated from Windows Mobile to iPhone 3G.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iAddict For This Useful Post:

Rivest (2008-08-14)

uhhh...you shouldn't have to re buy the app. I deleted a app and when i clicked buy it it prompted me saying i already purchased that app click ok to download again.

for me only 1 app is not working. Wow Characters. It was working just fine and it will still load up but when i refresh the character it crashes to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Travace View Post
    uhhh...you shouldn't have to re buy the app. I deleted a app and when i clicked buy it it prompted me saying i already purchased that app click ok to download again.

for me only 1 app is not working. Wow Characters. It was working just fine and it will still load up but when i refresh the character it crashes to home.
    You are lucky, just one app not working. 95% of my apps are not working cept for monkeyball and bomberman (at least they are my most expensive ones)

I know what you mean when it says you have already purchased it. My point is, i tried deleting the non working app from my phone and then resyncing it to iPhone from iTunes, but it still wont run. I got it to run by deleting the app from BOTH iPhone and iTunes, rebuying it from iTunes and syncing it to iPhone then it worked. For one day, now it doesnt run again!

I am really going crazy now...
    Use the "Thank you" option if someone helped you solve your problems!

Migrated from Windows Mobile to iPhone 3G.

Went through the same problem and routine. The only difference is that after deleting all my apps from both iTunes and iPhone, I re-downloaded one by one on the iPhone and made sure to have "Sync Applications" set to OFF (unchecked) in iTunes before reconnecting the iPhone for my next sync. Everything still works fine.

Note that even with Sync Applications turned off you can still backup and transfer purchases from your iPhone to iTunes - it just avoids iTunes screwing with your iPhone's DRM permissions and nuking all your apps, as far as I can tell.

Thanks

one app i can think of that crashes as soon as it starts : columbs by saga

how do i fix this? Its not even listed on my computer after a backup but yet its on my iphone.

A backup wont necessarily copy apps you downloaded on your iPhone over to your desktop. You need to have "Transfer Purchases" turned on in the iTunes settings, or right click the iPhone under iTunes and choose that option manually.

As far as the crash goes, you may get lucky with a restart (as it's only one app crashing) or you may have to bite the bullet and re-download it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

300bowl won't work on my phone for some reason which sucks because I liked it. It's the only one that won't run out of all the apps strangely enough. It's just froze on the menu screen when I turn it on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

possible solution:

i had this problem as well. it became apperent when i tunes wanted to update a couple of my apps, but then wouldn't resync them!

i deleted the offenders from my phone and then trashed (but kept a backup on computer) the following plist files from the phone:

/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.composite_trust.plis t

/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist

immediately after trashing those, i tried syncing again and the apps went back in without a hitch...

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AAAARRRRRRGGGGG View Post
    possible solution:

i had this problem as well. it became apperent when i tunes wanted to update a couple of my apps, but then wouldn't resync them!

i deleted the offenders from my phone and then trashed (but kept a backup on computer) the following plist files from the phone:

/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.composite_trust.plis t

/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist

immediately after trashing those, i tried syncing again and the apps went back in without a hitch...
    Many of my appstore apps stopped working, so I tried this. A very laborious process. After reconnecting to iTunes, the deleted apps all reinstalled, but the same problem exists. I open an app, it starts to open, but after just about 30 seconds, crashes back to the home screen.

Is there any fix for this? I did a total restore, and then things worked. But, a day later, and they are broken again. You surely can't be doing a daily restore!

Thanks

Sonofa.....

you're right. see for me, it's inconsistent, i'll play majong for 20 minutes one time then the next time it'll crash out before i can even start playing... so it's hard to diagnose...

in any event, though, i did get the updates without having to pay out to apple unnecessarily.

has anyone updated to the new firmware (2.0.2)?
    I am having the same problem and I suspect that it is because I am still on 2.0.1
    I will pwn 2.0.2 later today and let you guys know...

Note: this is only a problem with my updated apps.

Also, I did not have to pay for my apps again.
    They all updated without a problem, and i was not charged double... tho most are free anyway.
    Last edited by drosera; 2008-08-28 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you out please hit Thanks!

Already discussed and solved. It has nothing to do with any updates, it's a recurring account problem.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/apple-a...dia-issue.html

downgrade iTunes to 7.7 I haven't lost my music and all apps still work been a week so far. Had lots of trouble found this solution from the apple boards. This is the only permanent solution.

i hate this problem so much.....i was gonna buy an app after trying a few of the free ones i dont really want to anymore it seems like a waste

Solved problem is SOLVED. Any further discussion is pointless.

Thanks

No, the problem is NOT solved. It may temporarily address the issue, but the problem will indeed reoccur. Thankfully, I have not had this issue for over a week, but since there has not been an update to either iTunes nor the iPhone itself, the problem then has not been solved. No one can simply waive a magic wand and say it won't happen again. There is some software issue creating the problem. And "deauthorizing and reauthorizing" may make the problem seem to disappear, but it will return. It's only a question of when.

Thanks

This whole routine ended for me once I downgraded iTunes to 7.7 (from 7.7.1) and went up to 2.0.2 on both my 3G and my original iPhone (well over a week ago, issue would happen to me starting either the same day as a restore or the next).

Even after the occasional OS freeze up and occasional failed app download, everything works. Of course I did the deauthorize/authorize trick before my restore to attempt to help.

For me it's not seeming to be account-related, it's more code signing-related to iTunes.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

I had the issue with the apps that would try to load but then crash to the springboard/home screen. Also, my music disappeared from my iPod section of the phone. My phone and text messages were functioning. This is what I did to get everything working again.

I first authorized iTunes again (under Store, Authorize Computer on the Windows version of iTunes), then I synced the phone, and I still had the same problem. Finally, I checked off the "Sync only checked songs and videos" in the Summary tab for my iPhone and hit "Apply" (this is on a Windows computer - I am not sure if the iTunes version on the Mac has the same options). It synced iTunes with the phone - which took about 5 minutes. I went back to the phone and my music was back in the iPod and the apps began to run again! No retore or deletion or download of apps needed! I hope that this works for others as well!

I really hope that Apple fixes these issues. They should be minor in nature in terms of fixing them, but they really cause major issues and headaches to users, especially because Apple does not suggest how to rectify these issues in the meantime. Their only solution is to backup and restore, and that doesn't work sometimes, and it takes forever to complete.

My apps are working after this simple procedure:

install a new app, shut down my iPhone and reboot it.
    After rebooting, everything is working fine.

I hope I could help, good luck!

Thanks

Any number of the "solutions" shared will work... temporarily. Just today, a few apps stopped working... would crash back to the home screen, and no music would show in the ipod app, although there is plenty there. Did a total reboot of the phone, deauthorized the computer, reauthorized it, synced the iPhone with the computer telling it to NOT sync any apps, so all apps were removed. Then I synced again, telling to to sync apps, so they were all then re-installed. Now everything is working fine... again... until when, who knows? This is a bug, and it hasn't been solved. All solutions I have seen are temporary fixes, without totally addressing whatever the problem is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast