Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Aftermarket car charger that works with the 4 + bumper? / iPhone 4 bumper RANT!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Aftermarket car charger that works with the 4 + bumper? / iPhone 4 bumper RANT!
    I have found that almost no aftermarket chargers (car or otherwise) will fit the iPhone 4 with its bumper on. They made the opening at the bottom of the bumper so small that only Apple-brand charging cables/connectors will fit. In fact, I just purchased and received 3 of THESE, which look identical to the Apple-branded white versions, and although the connector looks exactly the same size, even when held with a white one side-by-side, the black connector is just a hair larger and won't fit through the opening on the bottom of the iPhone 4 bumper. So, they are useless to me.

Before I go wasting any more money, can someone please confirm an aftermarket car charger that fits the iPhone 4 + bumper?

I have a similar problem, i am planning to use dremel.

Dummies .. They have car chargers that have an open USB port .. And u just use ur apple cable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to timmyinpajamas For This Useful Post:

kadinh (2010-07-12)

I don't know why everyone is getting that crappy expensive Bumper case. More and more cases are coming out every day that are 10x better. I even found a better on at best buy the day after I picked up my iPhone 4 on launch.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyinpajamas View Post
    Dummies .. They have car chargers that have an open USB port .. And u just use ur apple cable
    I want black.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick G. View Post
    I want black.
    Understandable.. Accept my apologies my lord

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timmyinpajamas View Post
    Understandable.. Accept my apologies my lord
    hahaha
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Green Apple
    Thanks

While I was trying to cheap out, I found the Belkin dual USP adapter last year. I have no less than 15 Dock Cables in my room, so it worked out well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick G. View Post
    I have found that almost no aftermarket chargers (car or otherwise) will fit the iPhone 4 with its bumper on. They made the opening at the bottom of the bumper so small that only Apple-brand charging cables/connectors will fit. In fact, I just purchased and received 3 of THESE, which look identical to the Apple-branded white versions, and although the connector looks exactly the same size, even when held with a white one side-by-side, the black connector is just a hair larger and won't fit through the opening on the bottom of the iPhone 4 bumper. So, they are useless to me.

Before I go wasting any more money, can someone please confirm an aftermarket car charger that fits the iPhone 4 + bumper?
    I basically just took a knife and cracked the plastic off the dock connector so that I Just had the metal connector attached to a tiny circuit board with 4 wires soldered to it. Then I wrapped everything but the metal in electrical tape (black electrical tape, so it matched the cord). Viola. Now it fits great. It looks a little fugly (but not too bad), but it beats taking off the case to use the dumb thing.

Of course mine was an FM transmitter/dock too. If I only needed to charge the phone I'd just suck it up and use an Apple cable (surely you have extras). So what if its not black?
    Last edited by Faxmonkey; 2010-07-17 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iop9000 View Post
    I have a similar problem, i am planning to use dremel.
    I did exactly this. Used a Dremel to enlarge the opening in the iPhone 4 bumper. Works now.

Smile Found GadgetBoost.com with iPhone 4 Extender
    It looks like that company went out of business but I found this site with the same thing: DockExtender Boost iPhone iPad iPod Dock Extender - GadgetBoost.com I bought one and it works just fine