Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MicroSIM Cutter, New iPhone 4 Hype

Default MicroSIM Cutter, New iPhone 4 Hype
    The MicroSIM Cutter at http://qyg-online.com/product.php?id_product=2 seems to be the right solution at the right time for iPhone 4 coming with MicroSIM that most users are no ready for.. I personaly have tried to cut my normal SIM card into MicroSIm with scissors to fit in a friend`s iPad and found it almost impossible to cut exactly to clip in the SIM tray socket that holds the SIM inside the tray. Just wondering how many people will damage their SIMcard and the frustration the MicroSIM concept will cause many people

More info http://qyg-online.com/product.php?id_product=2
    Last edited by Tangui; 2010-08-22 at 10:29 AM. Reason: correction

What's the point to cut the sim to use it in the ipad ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJM AutoWerkz View Post
    What's the point to cut the sim to use it in the ipad ?
    If you didn't want to have a separate plan for your iPad and your iPhone.

It would probably be easier to use a razor knife to cut the sim cleaner and more accurate.

i saw this before
    its supposed to be $30
    i think....

I think the Sim cutter actually does exactly what I want.....but in reverse. After it cuts out the microsim, I want the leftover as a sim adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by overjjrk View Post
    I think the Sim cutter actually does exactly what I want.....but in reverse. After it cuts out the microsim, I want the leftover as a sim adapter.
    I see it comes with free 5pcs Microsim Adapter.. thats a lot already for you

For reverse, just create the sim card shape from the micro-sim card keycard.

How to make a micro sim adapter ( for non micro sim phones)

Don't punch out the microsim from the card just cut around it to the shape of a sim card, use another simcard to line up the shape correctly the a pen knife to cut the sim card shape out. That's what I did and I now have unlimited ipad data on my iPhone 3gs ( I live in Australia and they don't have unlimited data plans for the iPhone, but they do for the ipad, so I just did this method to get unlimited data,
    I could instead also possibly get a dual sim card holder which essentially holds two micro sim cards, cut my iPhone sim to micro sim size and use the dual sim card so I don't have to externally switch between simcards for data or phone use. But the first idea is what I did and am happy with that.

By keycard I mean when u originally get the microsim, it comes attached to a keycard that u would normally punch the micro sim out to use. Don't do this, just cut the simcard shape from the original keycard state to use the ipad sim in the non micro sim type iPhones such as 3gs etc or any data using device that requires the normal sim cards like 3g modem USB drives.
    Last edited by Remember God; 2010-07-23 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Remember God View Post
    For reverse, just create the sim card shape from the micro-sim card keycard. Don't punch out the microsim from the card just cut around it to the shape of a sim card, use another simcard to line up the shape correctly the a pen knife to cut the sim card shape out. That's what I did and I now have unlimited ipad data on my iPhone 3gs ( I live in Australia and they don't have unlimited data plans for the iPhone, but they do for the ipad, so I just did this method to get unlimited data,
    I could instead also possibly get a dual sim card holder which essentially holds two micro sim cards, cut my iPhone sim to micro sim size and use the dual sim card so I don't have to externally switch between simcards for data or phone use. But the first idea is what I did and am happy with that.

By keycard I mean when u original get the microsim it comes attached to a keycard that u would normall punch the micro sim out to then use. Don't do this, just cut the simcard shape from the original keycard state to use The ipad sim in the iPhone.

By keycard I mean when u original get the microsim it comes attached to a keycard that u would normall punch the micro sim out to then use. Don't do this, just cut the simcard shape from the original keycard state to use The ipad microsim in the iPhone 3gs or any data using device that requires the normal sim cards
    Cannot make a point from what you are trying to say.. Feeling dizzy trying to read your post..

1. where will you get a microsim template to align with your sim to cut??

2. where will you get a keycard??

3. which Pen Knife.. you mean butchers knife??

4. Dual sim card holder is not same shape as MicroSIM.

5. YOU HAVE ONLY ONE CHANCE NO ROOM FOR ERROR

1. Use another simcard, line up the chips horizontal and vertical lines with the micro sim ( leave the microsim in the attached card), there is a few milimetres room for error, if u look at ur old sim and the three lines that is made when sliding the sim in the phone, those lines go over three seperated areas that can be clearly seen on the chip, so u do hav a little room for error. So align the chip's x and y alignments to get the cutout of the actual simcard external shape.
    2. By keycard I mean the card the microsim is attached to, or if I've already punched the microsim out and don't have it anymore use any card at the same thickness that u don't need.
    3. A fine art knife,
    4. There are dual sim card holders that hold two micro sims, so it holds two micro sims within the shape of a full simcard, see if u place a micro sim sidways it is half the length of a full simcard,
    5. You have many chances, ur not downsizing a simcard, ur upsizing a micro sim. So if u stuff up the size, just use anothe card to try again. The reverse doesn't destroy any chip. Ur only cutting a sim card shape (and if needed cutting the negative microsim shape within the cutout sim card.

1. Continude ur not making a micro sim template ur making a sim template... If ur doing the reverse as stated in the beginning of my post reply.
    As in fittin a micro sim to an iPhone 3gs, not a sim into an ipad, the latter would require actually cutting a sim but is easy to align as long as you don't have thumbs for fingers

If ur still confused, I'll try to post som pics later today.

Sorry I know it may be a bit easier to understand with pics, my writing may seem confusing abit, writing in stages while at the same time am working.
    Last edited by Remember God; 2010-07-23 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

FWIW I used an old Cingular 3G to make my adapter because the inner contact points lined up perfectly with the microsim. To actually make the cuts I used a dremel and a utility blade.

-photo-4-.jpg

this is the final product after cutting the simcard shape out of the microsim keycard with the micro sim still attached.

-photo-2-.jpg

-photo.jpg

these next two photos are how I lined up the shape of the sim card around the micro sim, notice how the horizontal and vertical or x and y angled lines on the chip are aligned, this is how to get the correct positioning, mark the simcard perimeters then cut out with a fine art knife. I found cutting slightly inside the line i made gave the perfect size as the line made is slightly larger than the actual sim size, but when cutting best to cut too large than too small, as u can always shave it down abit after.

-photo-3-.jpg

this is a keycard with the sim already punched(not a micro sim keycard, sorry i threw the microsim keycard away after i was done with it weeks ago). this is what i mean a keycard, but with mine the micro sim was still attached, as seen in the first photo.
    Again this was just added to explain what i ment by a sim keycard.
    if by chance you stuff up cutting out the sim shape or accidently punch the micro sim card out, still keep the keycard to use as the cut out, just shape the sim shape from one of the corners then cut the negative microsim shape out of the cutout sim (if u have to go down that path, having the micro sim is the easiest of the two.

i hope this helps people wanting to use the ipad sim on their 3gs.
    p.s u'll need to change the apn settings in setting>general>network> cellular data network
    if u dont have this u should be able to get access with a cydia app, i used "vodafone au gprs fix". in Australia vodafone still block access to the apn settings even after you officially unlock, even though their online help says you should have access to it, as does apples help site, when i enquired on via phone to bothe voda and apple they just throw the blame of who is to fix this problem on eachother. vodafone expected me to call them up every time i wanted to change apn's from a post pay to prepay even after i unlocked the iphone officially through them and apple. i couldnt believe it!!
    but any who, ..... the apn code for vodafone's ipad prepay microsim in australia is vfprepaymbb, username and password is left blank or left as it is, it doesnt matter.
    Last edited by Remember God; 2010-07-23 at 08:42 PM.

just to add, you should only need to change the apn settings if your iphone is changing from a plan sim to a prepay data sim on the same provider or if you swap from one provider sim to a different data sim provider. apparently the straight data prepay sims are slightly different in its setup and dont automatically change the apn settings, normal prepay sims for phone and data do, but straight data only sims do not.
    Last edited by Remember God; 2010-07-23 at 08:55 PM.

-photo-4-.jpg

this is the final product after cutting the simcard shape out of the microsim keycard with the micro sim still attached.

-photo-2-.jpg

-photo.jpg

these next two photos are how I lined up the shape of the sim card around the micro sim, notice how the horizontal and vertical or x and y angled lines on the chip are aligned, this is how to get the correct positioning, mark the simcard perimeters then cut out with a fine art knife. I found cutting slightly inside the line i made gave the perfect size as the line made is slightly larger than the actual sim size, but when cutting best to cut too large than too small, as u can always shave it down abit after.

-photo-3-.jpg

this is a keycard with the sim already punched(not a micro sim keycard, sorry i threw the microsim keycard away after i was done with it weeks ago). this is what i mean a keycard, but with mine the micro sim was still attached, as seen in the first photo.
    Again this was just added to explain what i ment by a sim keycard.
    if by chance you stuff up cutting out the sim shape or accidently punch the micro sim card out, still keep the keycard to use as the cut out, just shape the sim shape from one of the corners then cut the negative microsim shape out of the cutout sim (if u have to go down that path, having the micro sim is the easiest of the two.

i hope this helps people wanting to use the ipad sim on their 3gs.
    p.s u'll need to change the apn settings in setting>general>network> cellular data network
    if u dont have this u should be able to get access with a cydia app, i used "vodafone au gprs fix". in Australia vodafone still block access to the apn settings even after you officially unlock, even though their online help says you should have access to it, as does apples help site, when i enquired on via phone to bothe voda and apple they just throw the blame of who is to fix this problem on eachother. vodafone expected me to call them up every time i wanted to change apn's from a post pay to prepay even after i unlocked the iphone officially through them and apple. i couldnt believe it!!
    but any who, ..... the apn code for vodafone's ipad prepay microsim in australia is vfprepaymbb, username and password is left blank or left as it is, it doesnt matter.
    I did not see iPhone 4 or iPad SIM tray in your experiment..

If u read the earlier posts i wrote this was for a reverse cut idea for my 3gs apose to cutting a normal sim to make it a micro sim, this method I wrote is to use a micro sim in a normal sim phone or 3g modem.
    Last edited by Remember God; 2010-07-21 at 11:23 PM.

If u read the earlier posts i wrote this was for a reverse cut idea for my 3gs apose to cutting a normal sim to make it a micro sim, this method I wrote is to use a micro sim in a normal sim phone or 3g modem.
    @Remember God..

will be more simple and easy to label your post how to make a MicroSIM Adapter..

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought one off ebay from a guy in Texas and it looks more heavy duty and you get 2 microsim adapters and it makes a perfect cut real simple!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

There are micro sim adapters you can purchace fo around 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    There are micro sim adapters you can purchace fo around 10 bucks.
    10 bucks too high price to pay for adapters they give free on the internet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast