Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Car stereo head units

I have been looking around and comparing my options on head units and what to get since getting a 3Gs and by far this one has me hooked!
    It has everything you could need other then not being about to see your screen while using it(this is to the best of my knowledge and what i have read without some modification)
    Parrot killed it on this device and while looking around I have found it for as much as half off of the msrp

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...parrot-rki8400

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    I was hoping this thread wasnt dead yet since I am now in the market for a car stereo that works great with the 3g and 3gs .
    Been on ebay and pricewatch trying to get an idea and read reviews . Cant find a head to head comparison chart anywhere to check the features of each . Looked at about a hundred different head units and want to be sure I get something I will be satisfied with . Most say the work with the ipod but no mention of iphone .
    So here are the features I am interested in and maybe someone can clear things up .

Integrated Bluetooth. No add on BS and must be able use phone with it.

USB (front)- not mini usb . also must be able to charge iphone and play mp3's on thumb drives.

Aux Jack (front)

Control ipod/iphone from head unit or remote.

either 2 or 4 inch head unit din size .

Easy controls on head unit .

Overall sound quality not as important since I have the stock speakers .

Hope thats not too much to ask .
    Thanks to all that can help on this .
    Look up a JVC KD-BT1

It doesnt have a aux input on the front, but you can get a cord that plugs into the back for it

It has the rest of the features

Thanks
    Cool head units
    i currently have the jvc kdbt1 and it is a good system, but it is very complicated and not user friendly at all...
    The display is pointless during the day as it is not bright enough.
    the bt calling features are the worst part... call quality is terrible background noise is terrible, and to hear the other party though the car stereo speakers you have to crank up the volume and then its so loud the other party can hear a clear echo of everything they say. the ad2p (?) bt streaming works well tho.and OMG once you figure out how to pair the phone it is almost impossible to switch the audio back to iphone during a call. you have to pull up the audio menu on the iphone and select the iphone as the audio device then 3-5 se4conds later the jvc retakes the audio so you have to choose iphone again, again the jvc takes the call back in 3-5 seconds, finally on the 3rd try the call will stay on the iphone. this is a major PITA and is why i have unpaired my phone and stopped using the bt all together.
    does anyone have the parrot RKi8400? ive used the installed car kits by parrot b4 and know they work well. since they have added the dual mics for noise cancellation the other party cant even tell im on a hands free device.

I have found that petra is the cheapest place to get the parrot (250.00) and have been considering trying one.
    Im looking for a hu that will allow me to make and receive good quality calls, stream music w/bt,and stream with Pandora and slacker and the Sirius app if they ever fix it. Ive read that the parrot also will display album artwork but that may only work if you have the cable plugged in. it also has an sd card, a line in jack, and a usb plug. also it has an odd hollow design so you can hide your device inside the unit (behind the faceplate)

One thing ive seen so far that i really like about the parrot is that it's firmware is upgradeable. this may solve the issue many people had with bt connection to their pioneer hu when the 3.0 update dropped. pioneer pretty much said tough, parrot could fix any potential future issues with a simple fw update. (keyword: could) Parrot dose not have much of a reputation here in the US but it seems that they are much more popular in Europe.

I haven't played a cd in my vehicle in years, so im ok with a solid state unit.
    Ive also looked into purchasing other units such as kenwood, alpine, pioneer (a few models actually have parrot branded bt circuity)among others, but pretty much all of them have poor reviews when it comes to iphone comparability. parrot is advertising the RKi8400 as being made for the iphone. so maybe it is different than the rest.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I would really love to have something like the parrot in my car, but my head unit is unconventional. The display is only 1" wide so normal headunits would never fit. I don't know if you can cut the center console to make them fit due to a useless 6 CD changer built into the dash. I don't even own CDs.

Thanks
    Default unconventional
    what kind of vehicle do you have? there are adapter kits for most cars. ive seen some pretty odd setups before ie, ford tarus (the hu is in the trunk, the display and kb are the only things in the dash, and the mitsu eclipse (the display is separate from the hu and is mounted on the top of the dash) but they all have kits available to make installing an aftermarket hu easy.

Thanks

Nissan Armada. Fortunately I have an in-dash Auxillary input, but I want to move to handsfree preferably via a head unit.

Thanks
    I did a quick search and found this kit at crutch field. it may or may not be the correct one (depending on the year and options your truck has installed)if you were to have a pro install an aftermarket unit they would use a kit similar to this. i also found a Nissan armada forum specifically for aftermarket stereo installs. looks like you could fit a single or double din radio in your dash.

Nissan Titan/Armada Dash Adapter Package Lets you install a brand-name car stereo in your 2006-up Nissan Titan/Armada at Crutchfield.com

Thanks

Sweet! Thank you very much. That is exactly what I need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12