Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Connect iPhone 3g 3.0 to TV

Default Connect iPhone 3g 3.0 to TV
    Ok i know some of you will say i need to search before i ask but i did and it seems there are just to many answers and im getting confused.

What i want to do is connect my iphone 3g on 3.0 to my tv and have sound to watch movies?

Would a dock with a S-Video in it work?
    No signature spam or links... Thanks

nope, im pretty sure you have to buy the designated iphone av cable. im not 100% sure, so maybe someone else can back me up.

Apple av cable it is. And you can't just enable audio only anymore like you used to be able to. It's audio and video or nothing. Actually, if all you want is audio, all of the 3rd party cables do audio. Just not video.

you obviously searched soooo hard

Let me google that for you

but not to be a complete a$$hole, i've tried the monster A/V tv out cables, and it doesn't work with the iphone. your only option is to buy an apple branded tv out cable.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

on 2.2.1 I was able to use a dock that had s-video out and also use the audio out. Not sure about 3.0. Keep in mind that the only thing that will display will be movies on you ipod app and you will be able to hear your music. if you wanted to display everything you can use Screespltr, but there is considerable lag.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You're in luck- I purchased this dock just days ago...

Dynex iPod Dock Review

Otherwise, you're going to be looking for the Apple component cables, or something like this dock from RichardSolo.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

There must a cable for tv output my friend. Connect your cable and simply enjoy. I am quite sure you do not need any tool for that. It is so simple as that.
    mod/edit links removed

surely someone can put an app on cydia that makes 3rd party ones work or something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I actually ended up buying a $9 dock from eBay too. They are of marginal quality- I had to repair one of the two I purchased for the project (in-dash iPod dock) but it was a simple fix. Also it doesn't come with the a/v 3.5mm cable, and has no remote control capability, but it works for charging and audio-out just fine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bryberg's Avatar
    Thanks

they are great

They sell an AV kit at any Apple store for $49. It plugs into the bottom of the phone and there are 2 versions... composite or RCA. The boxes look identical so be careful or you'll end up with the wrong one like I did at first. The composite has 6 wires are connects to an HD TV. The RCA has 3 wires... left/right audio and video.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cafini8ted's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Get the Resupported app from Cydia
    Use the resupported app from Cydia - then you don't need to worry about weather the cable system is a TRUE "iPhone Compatible" cable

i used the apple cables

definitely the apple cables
    Last edited by mobay; 2010-06-10 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost