Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Kenwood KDC-X591 (car stereos)?

  1. #1
    Default Kenwood KDC-X591 (car stereos)?
    I'm looking for a good solution to plug my iphone into for my car, and while I like the idea of the convenience behind something like an FM-Tranmitter/charger (like the iTrip), I really dislike the sound quality and the fact that the stations have to be changed during longer drives between regions....

    SO I started looking at some in-dash solutions... one of the local places suggested the Kenwood KDC-X591, and would install it into my car for about 250 (parts, labor, and tax).

    Anyone have any experience with Kenwood's iPod integration? Are you happy with them? What's their overall quality like? Any other suggestions?

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    probably won't work ive plugged by phone into many things and it never works , but they work great with iPods

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    probably won't work ive plugged by phone into many things and it never works , but they work great with iPods
    I just got off the phone with Kenwood - they said that the compatability problems were resolved with the July update to the iPhone firmware...


    SO... I wonder if anyone can confirm that...

  4. #4
    Default Dice
    I have a Dice Electronic in my BMW Z4.

    http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm

    It says its for the iPOD, but it works with my Cry-Phone(cried when I let go of the money!) (LOLOL) Anyways, it works like a champ in my car. It comes up when dropped in the cradle, You want to go into airplane mode? I press NO, and it works. Steering wheel controls, everything. Calls come in, It pauses the music and then i can talk.

    Thought I would help alittle.

    VaRMiT

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Varmit View Post
    I have a Dice Electronic in my BMW Z4.

    http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm

    It says its for the iPOD, but it works with my Cry-Phone(cried when I let go of the money!) (LOLOL) Anyways, it works like a champ in my car. It comes up when dropped in the cradle, You want to go into airplane mode? I press NO, and it works. Steering wheel controls, everything. Calls come in, It pauses the music and then i can talk.

    Thought I would help alittle.

    VaRMiT

    What kind of cradle did you get?

  6. #6
    i have been thinking about getting an fm transmitter too. I actually didnt even think about a solution like this.

  7. #7
    It depends on what they are offering to install on how well it will work with your iPhone. I have used the kenwood iPod interface and love it. I had this installed using an iPod. It controls your iPod from the stereo itself. It also charges the iPod as well. And also displays mp3 data tag info on the screen.

    This is done using the kca-ip500. This unit is $50 which is $30 more than their cheaper USB option which accomplishes about the same thing, but the ip500 uses the single data plug on bottom of your iPod. I feel it gets a better sound when it uses this alone. The cheaper USB option also connects to your headphone plug. It also connects to your stereo via a USB plug which is usually on the front of your stereo. I am not a fan of wires everywhere. It just looks cluttered. I prefer a more clean installation. My ip500 is installed under the center console and the wire comes out inside of the little hidden compartment in the center console.

    Now the iPhone works fine with the iPod connector. It will pause your music if a call comes in. Though if you have your phone connected and receive a call but are not listening to the music from your phone but rather Sirius Radio or AM/FM tuner, I am unsure if that pauses your music to alert you of the call. I can test this further if requested.

    Add in Kenwoods KCA-BT100 and you get even more functionality. This is a wireless bluetooth adapter for your Kenwood deck. Now this is only compatible with newer Kenwood head units. Check compatibility. This device allows you to pair your iPhone via bluetooth. This is a handsfree car kit. It has a mic you mount at or near your lip level. Your head unit pauses all audio and chirps to alert you of an incoming call. Your caller ID information displays on your head unit. Push numbers 1-6 (any of them) to accept the call. You are now talking hands free. The conversation is coming through your car stereo speakers. Control volume on the stereo. You can use your kenwood remote to dial a call.

    Now I just connected my BT100 today. I got it for christmas last year. I just got around to it. I love it. I am still playing with it. You are suppose to be able to download the phone book to your stereo. If it is, it displays the name of the caller. The iPhone has a known issue and cannot download the phonebook to the stereo. If we could send contacts via bluetooth it would work. But we can't. I have Sirius radio, iP500, & BT100. I always have an iPod hooked in. I am not using my iPhone for an iPod currently. I will be hooking it up as the iPod in my system as well as using the bluetooth function. I will report back as I learn more.

  8. #8
    are you guys getting any gsm feedback? I had the iPod interface cable control hooked up on my kenwood indash LCD, and if I don't put it on airplane mode, I get feedback like crazy! Plus I couldn't search for songs with my touchscreen either. I can see the song titles and stuff, but couldnt browse, only skip track by track.

  9. #9
    I have a KDC-X891 with the ipod usb connector. It works great with my ipod but haven't tried the iphone yet. I'll try it tomorrow and post the results.

    Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    I'm looking for a good solution to plug my iphone into for my car, and while I like the idea of the convenience behind something like an FM-Tranmitter/charger (like the iTrip), I really dislike the sound quality and the fact that the stations have to be changed during longer drives between regions....

    SO I started looking at some in-dash solutions... one of the local places suggested the Kenwood KDC-X591, and would install it into my car for about 250 (parts, labor, and tax).

    Anyone have any experience with Kenwood's iPod integration? Are you happy with them? What's their overall quality like? Any other suggestions?

    Thanks guys!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    What kind of cradle did you get?
    I got the one for the BMW Z4. Snaps right on the dash.

    Very nice.
    iPhone 4 Quote: Its so easy, a caveman can use it!

  11. #11
    Doesn't work with mine

    Quote Originally Posted by norcalmike View Post
    I have a KDC-X891 with the ipod usb connector. It works great with my ipod but haven't tried the iphone yet. I'll try it tomorrow and post the results.

  12. #12
    i guess another solution, prob the cheapest would be:
    RCA to 3.5mmheadphone adapater.
    3.5mm to 2.5mm headphone adapater. plug into iphone.

    I used to do this, minus the headphone adapter for my older MP3 Players. Sound quality seemed up to par...and for those that are wondering wtf is up with the RCA jacks...most newer decks, and some of the old ones (even cheap garbage like the sony xplods) had them in the back of the deck...

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalmike View Post
    Doesn't work with mine
    I have partial functionality on my KDC-X891 after loading the most recent firmware (which is ostensibly to support iPod Classics and the new Nanos). I still can't navigate but it will now play from wherever the audio was last paused and displays track information on the head unit. The pause function works. So nowhere near full control, but something; OK for audiobook listening.

  14. #14
    I run the Kenwood X891 I get the same functionality: controllable thru the deck, but not (expecpt on rare occasion) controllable through the iphone. I wish i could controll the music through the iphone, any thoughts on how I can do this?

  15. #15
    Unhappy Works intermittend
    I,ve bought the Kenwood double Din DDX8032BT because i wanted fullsize GSM. It came with a free Ipod Adapter kca-ip300 (Video)
    Installation of the handsfree via Bluetooth was easy and works fine. You have control of your Telephone Books and can send even SMS with the large Keypad on you Radio Screen.
    Cable Connection with the Iphone works like my Dog.
    (If I call my Dog : are you coming now or not,- than he is coming or not)
    I cant find a reason that is is sometimes not reading the Phone.
    I tried everything,: plugging it in before i start the Radio, starting the Phone when the DVD (CD) is runnning, connecting and disconnecting.

    I hope that the Problem will be solved with the next software update from Apple.
    P.S. I,ve tried just now and it works. I can see all Folder and it plays wonderfull. When it works it works fine.
    PPS. the Controls in the Steering Wheel dont work.

  16. #16
    Default now everything works fine
    Quote Originally Posted by McGee View Post
    I,ve bought the Kenwood double Din DDX8032BT because i wanted fullsize GSM. It came with a free Ipod Adapter kca-ip300 (Video)
    Installation of the handsfree via Bluetooth was easy and works fine. You have control of your Telephone Books and can send even SMS with the large Keypad on you Radio Screen.
    Cable Connection with the Iphone works like my Dog.
    (If I call my Dog : are you coming now or not,- than he is coming or not)
    I cant find a reason that is is sometimes not reading the Phone.
    I tried everything,: plugging it in before i start the Radio, starting the Phone when the DVD (CD) is runnning, connecting and disconnecting.

    I hope that the Problem will be solved with the next software update from Apple.
    P.S. I,ve tried just now and it works. I can see all Folder and it plays wonderfull. When it works it works fine.
    PPS. the Controls in the Steering Wheel dont work.
    I had to get an additional Controller which slices in the Cable Tree. Now i,ve got all my Steering Wheel Controls back as well.
    The Iphone works fine now. I found out that having the Iphone loose on the Dashboard was not working. Installing a proper Craddle (Proclip) solved the Contactproblem.
    Video from the Iphone does not show, but i think that next updates from either Kenwood and/or Apple will adress that thing
    Last edited by McGee; 2008-05-04 at 04:16 AM. Reason: additional info

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •