Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Painting Your Iphone?

Default Painting Your Iphone?
    I was wondering if you guys were ever going to paint your iphone what kind of paint would you use? Car paint or is there something better out there?
    I really want to have paint that is glossy and I really dont wanna pay $150 for a new paintjob at colorwave and i use a belt clip case which you take the phone out so adding a plastic or rubbery case over that wouldnt fit on my belt clip case

Any suggestions for what type of paint is good.

If this is the wrong section please move topic as this was the closest sub topic I found

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I was intrigued by your question (well more about you mentioning colorwave, which I had never heard of before), so i decided to take a look. To me, colorwave looks like a site that doesn't PAINT the phone, but actually creates a new molded shell and puts it on the phone for you. This would be better than painting simply because scratches wouldn't remove any paint since the entire material is colored. I would be leery of painting that glossy plastic, in any case you would probably have to rough it up. If you really want the thing painted I would go the colorwave route. if they give you the old shell back you can probably get away with keeping the warranty intact if you ever need to send it back to apple (obviously you would have to put the old shell back on)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

even if they gave me the old shell back. i would rather just throw in another 50 and white 3g then keeping a 2g except im still in school w/ no money or job

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I was intrigued by your question (well more about you mentioning colorwave, which I had never heard of before), so i decided to take a look. To me, colorwave looks like a site that doesn't PAINT the phone, but actually creates a new molded shell and puts it on the phone for you. This would be better than painting simply because scratches wouldn't remove any paint since the entire material is colored. I would be leery of painting that glossy plastic, in any case you would probably have to rough it up. If you really want the thing painted I would go the colorwave route. if they give you the old shell back you can probably get away with keeping the warranty intact if you ever need to send it back to apple (obviously you would have to put the old shell back on)
    wrong they do paint it
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

I believe the best way might be powder coating, if you have access to it.
    Other then that, car paint isn't really durable as the clear coat is the main component.
    What might work better is model paint for model cars, trains, etc.
    Those paints seem to be able to take quite some beating before chipping or dulling.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you do decide to do it.

Im thinking about doing this as well, and If I do it I will go with model paint.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    wrong they do paint it
    Well in that case f--- that. Painting MAYBE 6 square inches for 150 bucks? What a rip!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

They do an amazing job though. Extremely detail oriented and the paint gets a clear coat over it for protection.

i wouldnt imagine painting this thing is so hard, i've custom painted rims b4 the ghetto way with spray paint and an oven and its come out real clean! anybody have access to a broken iphone i'll be the first to volunteer painting it

^^They actually disassemble the device and paint the parts.

Its done up right. If you REALLY want to be different. Personally I like my white 3G and white switcheasy case.

Does any1 have pics of a painted one

I painted my old one flat black i put tape over the apple on the back and over the camera lens. then used and exacto knife to cut the excess tape around the apple and the lens then tape around the screen so the overspray wouldn't get on the chrome or the screen. I did about 5 coats on it and it came out perfect. I'll see if i can dig up some photos of it and post them.
    *the only replacement for displacement is boost!*

*if its not boosted its not worth having*

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstev08 View Post
    I painted my old one flat black i put tape over the apple on the back and over the camera lens. then used and exacto knife to cut the excess tape around the apple and the lens then tape around the screen so the overspray wouldn't get on the chrome or the screen. I did about 5 coats on it and it came out perfect. I'll see if i can dig up some photos of it and post them.

that sounds awesome. what kind of paint did you use?

Powdercoating would be the way to go. Paint would chip too easy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

doesn't powder coating involve heat that could possibly melt plastic? And isn't it only for metals?

but missing out the factors it will have when u paint it with spray paint

smells like **** (depends on the quality(the best quality is Montana Spray Paint)
    Over Time spray Paint Chips(again depends on the brand)
    u need a steady hand to even out the paint on the cover.
    stays sticky, doesnt feel right feeling if not done correctly

another method is to buy Matte Paint, sand the **** out of ur cover, add transparent paint layer then 2 layers of matte black(let the 1st layer dry then re layer the 2nd)

Quote Originally Posted by motioN View Post
    that sounds awesome. what kind of paint did you use?
    I used the high heat engine enamel paint.........its flat black so it's not all sticky when it dries. Plus it hasn't chipped off at all. You have to sand the **** outta the phone though lol
    *the only replacement for displacement is boost!*

*if its not boosted its not worth having*

Gah sounds scary. Hook it up with some pics

wow i really want to see this. i would love for my orginal iphone to be black on the back and then paint the apple white so it looks more like the 3g
    iPhizzle

Thanks
    You just described my phone and the company is called colorwarepc check out my pics! and if anyone wants to buy it i am selling it on ebay here Colorware Iphone8GB Black/White **Mint** W/ Accessories - eBay (item 120307779625 end time Sep-24-08 08:39:55 PDT)

pm me if anyone is interested
    Last edited by evilp8ntballer7; 2009-08-14 at 02:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast