Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rubber Incase scratching my phone?

Default Rubber Incase scratching my phone?
    I bought a 3g about two weeks ago, and learning from my 1st gen experience, immediately bought a case from the apple store upon purchase. The incase with the "topographical" style designs on the back.

The only time I've taken my phone out of the case has been to wipe, or blow away any dust particles that have accumulated under the rubber case. I do this every three days. I've never used anything abrasive to clean my phone, always a soft, lint free cloth, and each time I take my phone out of the case, I notice a new scratch on the metal siding of the phone.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm going in monday to the apple store to show them what's going on.

These cases do more damage than good, dirt gets behind them, then scratches the crap out of them. I just take extra care with my skinless 3g.

I agree. These cases, especially the new ones for the 3G, seem to be more prone to scratching. I suspect this is because manufacturers are more focused on keeping a slim form factor. Well, the thinner it is, the more flimsy it is. As a result, the sidewalls tend to move back and forth a little more, so if there is any dirt underneath, it acts more as an abrasive.

That's good to know since I have the same exact case. I just got my phone 6 days ago and the case 5 days ago. I was extra careful when putting the case on and today was actually my 1st time taking it off and luckily my phone is still mint. I plan to get a holster and I just ordered an invisible shield. Hope it comes in soon!

Roommate had this issue with his iPod, Only he didn't look at his iPod until 6 months after putting on the case - that iPod was UUUUGLY!

get some Invisible Shield, then use a case for big-time protection. That thing will stay minty-mint underneath invisible shield

Thanks
    I know its geto but I ordered the rubber incase for my 3g and i plan to use some thin painters tape on the chrome edges to protect them. No one will see it because its in the case. Must use painters tape because the glue is light and will not leave any behind if you pull it off. Ill let everyone know how it goes when the case gets to my house.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yea man dont get any rubber cases...they always scratch up the chrome bezel..better off keep it naked...plus why would u want to cover up the beautiful glossy back?! use invisible shields instead...unless u are real clumsy and drop ur phone alot...then get a case! lol

Thanks
    True. The chrome is sweet. I am just going to flip flop between cases and a leather pocket.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yea man, i got like a leather sleeve but i noticed even that is scratching up the bezel lol
    im just going to use it naked with a invisbile shield on the back and on the front a crystal shield from the apple store and maybe slide it into a hip holster or something...depending on my mood for the day lol

Thanks
    That Zag shield is sweet i just watched a review on it. If you like the bare look.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i HATE the rubber incase, scratched my bezel up. not recommended for anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mgregor View Post
    These cases do more damage than good, dirt gets behind them, then scratches the crap out of them. I just take extra care with my skinless 3g.
    I agree totally. I had the same problem years ago with my old iPaq. Once that happened, I've never used a rubber or even tight fitting leather case again.

I just carry it around naked.

Thanks
    So what case do you guys recommend then?

Quote Originally Posted by mgregor View Post
    yea the incase i had for my 1st gen scratched the hell outa my phone. it didnt even protect it from the screen cracking

Check out the new Core Case... I've had one on my 1gen since day one and its still in perfect condition... they are also bring out a new 3G very soon... check out the site here.
    Also... if you put in THEMANTLE as a coupon code you get $5 off your order (work on all the models they sell.