Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skullcandy Smokin' Buds are TERRIBLE

Thumbs down Skullcandy Smokin' Buds are TERRIBLE
    I was recommended the Skullycandy Smokin' Buds earphones by a few users - I also read a very good review. I got them in the mail and used the adapter I purchased for use with the iPhone. Not only do they fall out every 2 seconds, the sound absolutely terrible - people don't sound like themselves in music/vids and just overall quality is very low. How are these so highly recommended? mang they were a complete waste of $30.

$30 doesn't buy very much these days... what were you expecting?!?!

Yeah, I would have recommended the Skull Candy Full Metal Jackets at least, or the vmoda vibe duo's....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to s2kpdx For This Useful Post:

likkuid (2008-01-10)

Banned
    Thanks

Yea, the smokin buds in columbus are only 14.99. You get what you pay for!

yeh i know - but a couple people on the board said they were identical to v-moda, the sound quality was just that fantastic. they're absolute BS.

i was originally gonna go ahead with the v-modas but heard they break after 2 months - IS THIS true or more bs from uneducated forum members (directed 2 people passing ridiculous opinion as fact :P)

Quote Originally Posted by likkuid View Post
    yeh i know - but a couple people on the board said they were identical to v-moda, the sound quality was just that fantastic. they're absolute BS.

i was originally gonna go ahead with the v-modas but heard they break after 2 months - IS THIS true or more bs from uneducated forum members (directed 2 people passing ridiculous opinion as fact :P)

If they vmoda's break in 2 months you will get a new set from them... They have a 1 year warranty...

Thanks

Dunno what's up with the set you got, but my Skullcandy Smokin' Buds sound fantastic.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I read where people say they need a break in period. Some recommend playing at full volume for 24hrs b4 they start sounding good. Sounded like bs to me, but more than one person has said they sound better over time.

I paid $12 for them on amazon a long time ago and I still prefer them over my shure's.

Did you get the good sounding ugly-ish model or the sleek new cheepo nice looking buds.....there is a HUGE difference in sound.

This is what the good ones look like

If you bought the Ink'd ones then yeah....they are poop

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Emir S. For This Useful Post:

evilp8ntballer7 (2008-01-12)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I was told Skullcandy has a lifetime warranty (at least for the iPhone FMJs that I picked up at Macworld yesterday at half-off).

I'll post again in this thread if my FMJs turned to crap. The Smokin' Buds were like $10 at the end of the expo today, Skullcandy was clearing out their stock for end-of-expo. Everything was half-off today, and during the last twenty minutes everything was $25 and stuff that was $25 during the "half-off" sale was bumped down to like $10-20.

I modded a pair of the Ink'd headphones and they sound awesome!

I did the same with the G.I and they sounded like crap.

They look nice though...

Go for the shure IEM's, or sony's if you dont want to spend much. Bought a pair in Applestore for +/-75$, online maybe you can find them cheaper.

I love mine... just picked a pair of the Ink'd Smokin Buds ones at my local Best Buy a few hours ago for $9.99CAD ! Good price and good sound quality as well. Also bought a Dynex iPhone adapter... a bit expensive but it does the job well... cant complain :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

I've got them and they sound great. But one thing I noticed is there are different versions of the Smokin' Buds. Mine are MADE FOR IPHONE they don't need some crappy adapter. The tip on mine are just naturally fitted to the iPhone's deep head phone port, and they never fall out. Maybe you got the wrong ones? Especially if you're having to use an adapter for them.

What happens when a call comes in and you have your headphones on? Do you need to unplug them to use the phone? Will the mic on the phone work and port the audio to the headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by way2fst4u View Post
    What happens when a call comes in and you have your headphones on? Do you need to unplug them to use the phone? Will the mic on the phone work and port the audio to the headphones?
    When a call comes in, you hear whatever ringtone you set on your phone in the headphones and you hear whatever the caller is saying through the earphones as well. I just leave mine on in my ear and talk close to the phone... the caller can hear me perfectly either way so it doesnt matter to me.

just because they're cheap doesn't mean they aren't good. I got 2 pair of Razer Pro|Tones m100 earbuds for $15 on woot.com. They sell for $30 each which isn't expensive at all and they sound GREAT. frequency response of 20Hz-11KHz (shure SE110 has a frequency response of 22Hz – 17.5kHz for $119). Price isn't everything. As for the break-in period, they did sound better after 24 hours of blaring.

I paid $9.99 for mine at bestbuy, I'm in Canada and the sound great and they never fall out once you change the earbud to the right size.

I wouldn't expect much from Skullcandy. I one made the mistake of ordering some Skullcandy Crusher headphones, they were awful and got sent back within a week.

My impression is that they go purely for trendy styling.