Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Old iPhone Dock Mod Save $29

Default Old iPhone Dock Mod Save $29
    A couple of days after I went and bought two new docks for the iPhone 3G, I figured that if I cut the two small wrap-around edges of the old dock I be able to use it. See attachment below.

In fact, I used it to copy these pics over to my PC.

Damn Apple for wanting to nickle and dime us!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -iphone-dock-mod.jpg  

LOL. Good idea but I think you'd want to heat a sturdy knife and just carve out the plastic so it looks more naturally [;

iPhone? More like MyPhone bomiz96's Avatar
    Thanks

what did u use to cut it

mrtonyyx,
    Well it take more that one person to come up with a great product. Thanks for the idea, I'll try it and post new pics. Although, I'll use this dock on might night table and the new one I bought at the office.

bomiz96,
    I used a pair of regular cutting pliers.

Next time, try a dremel tool

Yeah, should have used a dremel.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm about to use a dremel to do the dual dock for the phone and blutooth. Thinking about just covering the connectors with some tape and using the sanding attachment to strip away the plastic, I think it might leave it looking decent....we shall see!

Update: Went easier then I thought. About 3 seconds on each side of the dock and then back and forth on the back to shave out the groove for the 3g's rounded back and my dock is now charging the phone and blue tooth. And unless you look close it doesnt even look like it was modded.

Dremels and the sanding attachment are the way to go for these!
    Last edited by PhoneLine; 2008-07-20 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Done....

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    I'm about to use a dremel to do the dual dock for the phone and blutooth. Thinking about just covering the connectors with some tape and using the sanding attachment to strip away the plastic, I think it might leave it looking decent....we shall see!

Update: Went easier then I thought. About 3 seconds on each side of the dock and then back and forth on the back to shave out the groove for the 3g's rounded back and my dock is now charging the phone and blue tooth. And unless you look close it doesnt even look like it was modded.

Dremels and the sanding attachment are the way to go for these!
    Awsome. can we get some pictures?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice one - thanks.
    15 minutes with some side-cutters, a hot knife and then finished off with some emery paper - job done.
    Gonna spend the saven 's up the pub :-)
    I have the 16Gb - thought I was gonna have to mod the rear - but no - just the removal of the two "side wings" - fits snuggly now
    Ta

Don't know what a dremel tool is, will look it up. Anyways, like I said it's for my room.

I'm more than happy to know that I was able to help some people save some $$$ and and keep it away from Apple.

Don't we hate to love Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by wisecat74 View Post
    Don't know what a dremel tool is, will look it up. Anyways, like I said it's for my room.

I'm more than happy to know that I was able to help some people save some $$$ and and keep it away from Apple.

Don't we hate to love Apple?
    Dremel

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

no need to cut it all the way like that.

get some sandpaper .. or a dremel with the right attachment and jsut sand out the rounded corners on both sides and a little on the back side. Then use a buffing attachment on your dremel to smooth it out

Profit.

and you dont have a ugly *** cut dock... it looks exactly the same but the 3g fits now

Edit: i guess someone else had the exact same idea as me :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

nice fix !