Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Black Metal Rear Cover

Default Black Metal Rear Cover
    Check this out , kinda expensive ,$46.00, but its metal so it would be good protection. Me buys.

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-meta...er-p-1766.html

EDIT : Hmm after reading more , it looks like this is a replacement back cover and not a protective snap on cover.
    Last edited by r00t4rd3d; 2007-08-06 at 02:49 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

that looks great, only thing you gotta watch out for, with cnn they are infamous for crappy shipping and how they list products for example they are saying that back cover is OEM, well that cant be the case because Apple never made one like that so it cant be OEM

yea screw cnn i just ordered a "oem" battery cover for my at&t blackberry which is blue and they gave me a black one, they also specified it was blue

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Ask cash about this product. He just LOVES it.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone luistohe123's Avatar
    Thanks

hey guys.....i can't seem to find a tread of a guy that turned his rear metal cover to red with the iphone stock sticker.....anyone knows where it is?
    cause y just dropped my iphone and now it looks like if it was 5 years old

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You could try these guys. Looks cool but kinda pricey

http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-103-iphone.aspx
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes, this is a replacement cover for the iphone. it is not a clip on anything. Installation is very difficult and pretty easy to break some pieces inside the phone. All in all it takes about 4-6 hours to replace the cover.

Once you pop the back off you have to take everything inside the original OEM cover and glue it into the new one, sounds easy but all the metal pieces are very fragile.

If things dont line up correctly you could have to undo and try again.

This is not for the faint of heart, please read any guides to installing this before actually doing it. There are some guides here on mmi.

Quote Originally Posted by kcisjojo View Post
    Yes, this is a replacement cover for the iphone. it is not a clip on anything. Installation is very difficult and pretty easy to break some pieces inside the phone. All in all it takes about 4-6 hours to replace the cover.

Once you pop the back off you have to take everything inside the original OEM cover and glue it into the new one, sounds easy but all the metal pieces are very fragile.

If things dont line up correctly you could have to undo and try again.

This is not for the faint of heart, please read any guides to installing this before actually doing it. There are some guides here on mmi.
    wow way to spread wrong info, I used the tools from ifixit.com and had that rear cover off flawlessly in 5 min. It is not connected to any parts in the iphone the only thing glued to it is the metal apple logo in the back itself.

a buddy of mine anodized his rear cover alum green its amazing.

it is really not easy to change it. the first steps are the hardest ones, because you are afraid of breaking something or getting any scratches. the rest is really easy..
    looks really nice if done

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JK1234 View Post
    wow way to spread wrong info, I used the tools from ifixit.com and had that rear cover off flawlessly in 5 min. It is not connected to any parts in the iphone the only thing glued to it is the metal apple logo in the back itself.

a buddy of mine anodized his rear cover alum green its amazing.
    Taking off the cover is the easy part. If you look at the original pic there is no frame mounted on the inside, this means you have to take all of the hardware out of the inside, by either using heat gun or glue remover to get them out (remember some pieces are plastic, glue remover will eat them up, heat gun may melt them, remove them first) Then you have to glue all the pieces back into the new rear cover. If it doesnt line up correctly you have to unglue the pieces and try again.

It is quite difficult and takes about 4-6 hours to do.

Taking off and anodizing the cover you already have would be fairly easy because it would not require you to do any removal of the internal structure.
    16 GB 1.1.4 Ziphone Unlocked, Activated, Jailbroken
    If I helped you make sure to hit the thanks button

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

How To Fix A Broken Ringer/Silent Switch

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcisjojo View Post
    Taking off the cover is the easy part. If you look at the original pic there is no frame mounted on the inside, this means you have to take all of the hardware out of the inside, by either using heat gun or glue remover to get them out (remember some pieces are plastic, glue remover will eat them up, heat gun may melt them, remove them first) Then you have to glue all the pieces back into the new rear cover. If it doesnt line up correctly you have to unglue the pieces and try again.

It is quite difficult and takes about 4-6 hours to do.

Taking off and anodizing the cover you already have would be fairly easy because it would not require you to do any removal of the internal structure.
    Agreed. It is a LOT harder than it looks. When taking the pieces of the frame off that are glued on, pieces easily break. Then you have to try to glue them on to the new black back, and they have to be in the exact perfect spot, otherwise the phone wont fit back together

Attempting to put this cover on my (1st) iphone was a 600 dollar mistake. When I finally got it back together, my reception never was the same (possibly damaged the antenna?)
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lifesmymachine View Post
    Agreed. It is a LOT harder than it looks. When taking the pieces of the frame off that are glued on, pieces easily break. Then you have to try to glue them on to the new black back, and they have to be in the exact perfect spot, otherwise the phone wont fit back together

Attempting to put this cover on my (1st) iphone was a 600 dollar mistake. When I finally got it back together, my reception never was the same (possibly damaged the antenna?)
    If you feel like taking the antenna cover back off you can replace the antenna for a few bucks.
    16 GB 1.1.4 Ziphone Unlocked, Activated, Jailbroken
    If I helped you make sure to hit the thanks button

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

How To Fix A Broken Ringer/Silent Switch

It would be easier to buy all the parts that glue in with the black cover and then just swap. Cost a bit more though. At least you could switch back for warranty purposes if needed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

does anyone know where to get the black cover back with all the parts already glued on it.....ready for just the swap....by the way if anyone in the nyc area can do this switch for me and knows what they are doing please let me know...ill pay =-]
    im to faint of heart to do it myself lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Soooooo why is everyone spending $50 + shipping on a black non oem cover when you already have an OEM cover and testors aerosol model paint designed specifically for this purpose can be bought at any hobby store for $5?

Simply pop the back off, use a 3M scrub pad to prep the body, and shoot away. Once you are done, go to bestskinever.com and spend $7.99 on a skin. When you put the skin on it will protect the black permanently from scratches (which will show up a lot easier on black).

$15 ...........done

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Soooooo why is everyone spending $50 + shipping on a black non oem cover when you already have an OEM cover and testors aerosol model paint designed specifically for this purpose can be bought at any hobby store for $5?

Simply pop the back off, use a 3M scrub pad to prep the body, and shoot away. Once you are done, go to bestskinever.com and spend $7.99 on a skin. When you put the skin on it will protect the black permanently from scratches (which will show up a lot easier on black).

$15 ...........done
    --True i was thinking the same thing LoL. but maybe it is scratch prof. i could find anything saying it wasn't.... but i would be to scared to carry my iphone around with out a case just to show off the back. still looks cool though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

does anybody know where I can purchase just the internal parts of the body??? I tried to take mine of and broke some of the pieces, now i need replacements and can't find just the parts anywhere!!! please help my iphone is half naked!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey I had that same problem. I searched for a month and didn't find anything. Best bet is to find a broken phone for parts and use those parts. If you find something please share

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karevski View Post
    Hey I had that same problem. I searched for a month and didn't find anything. Best bet is to find a broken phone for parts and use those parts. If you find something please share
    When I screwed up my back, I got a new one from Mac Recycling - Low price parts for your Apple iBook and PowerBook. It was actually a lot cheaper than on most other sites I saw it. It looks like all of the backs are sold out right now, but it wouldn't be the worst idea to check the site once in a while.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks nice. Only drawback I guess I see is the voiding of the warranty for good. There are way for apple to tell you have opened the product even after you decide to put the original plastic cover on it... right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast