Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skullcandy Smokin' Buds + eBay headphone adapter

Thanks

Default Skullcandy Smokin' Buds + eBay headphone adapter
    I know these aren't "official" iPhone accessories, but I bought a set of these several weeks ago (had $40 in Best Buy Bucks to spend, so basically I got them for free), and I totally love these headphones:

Skullcandy Smokin' Buds

Staples sells these for $19.99, and they are TOTALLY worth the price. They were even $9.99 on Black Friday, which is a great deal. I've owned Shure E2Cs and E3Cs, and these Skullcandy headphones sound just as good as those did, IMHO, at a fraction of the cost. The only thing I don't really like is the angled plug, which is a problem with the iPhone; actually, the plug doesn't work, and you need to get an adapter. Which brings me to my next point:

After getting my iPhone and finding that they don't fit, I went on the hunt for an adapter. Found an eBay seller (accstation) who sells the adapter, a travel charger, AND a car charger for the iPhone for $1.99 + $6.99 s/h = $8.98 total. That breaks down to basically $3 per item, totally worth it. The headphone adapter works great; the travel charger lets me use my base with it, and that leaves the detachable USB cord that came with the iPhone free for me to use to connect my iPhone to my laptop when I'm modding, and the car charger is something I was looking at getting anyway.

Link to auction for all three items (which is what I bought)

He also sells just the headphone adapter for $0.49 + $4.94 s/h = $5.43

Honestly, though, for only $3.55 more, I don't know why people wouldn't buy all three items and get JUST the 3.5mm headphone adapter. I mean, everyone can use a car charger, right?

I am in no way affiliated with that seller nor do I get anything by linking to his eBay stuff. Just passing along what I found.

Headphones: Free (after using my Best Buy Bucks; they'll cost you $19.99 + tax LOL)
    Headphone adapter: $8.98 shipped
    Listening to my iPhone with my favorite headphones: priceless

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HotStuff2 For This Useful Post:

DirtyDan (2007-12-23)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Be careful with what chargers you use on the iPhone. iPod chargers have been known to fry iPhones. Just do a search on here or hackint0sh.

Thanks

I did, prior to buying these. I'm a tech, so I know to research before buying.

The one I linked to works perfectly...no frying or anything. input/output voltage for it matches Apple specs exactly, and includes a resistor to make sure it doesn't overcharge or anything.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice review, thanks! I wish this had a mic built in though so you could take calls. If skull candy did that I'd probably buy some. Looks like I'm going to have to go with the Vibe Duos.

Thanks

Skullcandy has said on their blog that they're working on an iPhone-specific set of Smokin' Buds that will have the correct plug and the mid/hang-up button integrated. No word on when they'll be released or how much they'll cost.

Still, for the cost, a set of Skullcandy Smokin' Buds + the headphone adapter is, at the very least, a good, even perfect, backup set of headphones. They're cheap (but sound expensive), comfortable to wear, and did I mention they're cheap? For me, they're perfect for listening to music, since I don't care about the mic to answer calls (I use the Apple iPhone Bluetooth headset for that.)

edit: Hmmmm...now you have me wondering...I think I might try to splice a set of the Smokin' Buds headphones onto the stock iPhone headphones, which has the mic/hang-up button. Shouldn't be TOO hard to do, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HotStuff2 View Post
    Skullcandy has said on their blog that they're working on an iPhone-specific set of Smokin' Buds that will have the correct plug and the mid/hang-up button integrated. No word on when they'll be released or how much they'll cost.

Still, for the cost, a set of Skullcandy Smokin' Buds + the headphone adapter is, at the very least, a good, even perfect, backup set of headphones. They're cheap (but sound expensive), comfortable to wear, and did I mention they're cheap? For me, they're perfect for listening to music, since I don't care about the mic to answer calls (I use the Apple iPhone Bluetooth headset for that.)

edit: Hmmmm...now you have me wondering...I think I might try to splice a set of the Smokin' Buds headphones onto the stock iPhone headphones, which has the mic/hang-up button. Shouldn't be TOO hard to do, right?

you can cut off the buds from the apple headphone cable and then replace them with the buds from the smokin buds set. its super easy to do just takes some time. There was a link for a how-to in a topic I posted in this section.

i just bought skull candies for my iphone from target, regular price is $15.99 much cheaper then bb. quality is VERY GOOD, even as good as the oem ipod ones. comes with various eargels, i got the black skullies to match my iphone. noise cancelling, and i have really small ear canals, (even the smallest eargels on the oem ipod ones that go for $39 or $49 at bestbuy, they still pop out of my ears) but the small ones that come with the skull candy fit like a glove in my ears, SUPER comfy, get a great sense of bass and treble. LOVE them, and for $15? who can deny theM?