Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leather LRG-Monster iPhone case

Default Leather LRG-Monster iPhone case
    Let me first say this: I am an LRG fiend. Most of my clothes are LRG. Even my belt buckles are LRG. And who can forget Monster Cables? If you have a Hi-Def TV and you aren't using monster cables, then you just have a TV. When you combine two of the greatest companies in their respective industries, all hell breaks loose. Literally.

The LRG case comes in a variety of colors and styles, including Leather and Nylon. I will be reviewing the leather version.

When I first saw the LRG-Monster case, I could not believe my eyes. It was right there, hanging on a peg at the Apple Store in Burlingame, CA. I couldn't believe it. I had to look at the box three times to convince myself that the case was real. I immediately shelled out the 49.99+Tax, no questions asked. I mean, it's a LRG-Monster collaboration for an iPhone case! WHAT QUESTIONS DO YOU NEED TO ASK??!!

I immediately took the case back to my car and opened up the magnetic sleek package. Inside was the black fine leathered case that flips open. On the flap was the infamous golden-barred LRG logo. Running down the sides of the case was the word "Monster" with the Monster Cables logo at the end.

In the package also was a keychain. This keychain had a leather strap. The keyholder itself was a gold lockable Arrow-Cricle LRG logo. On the leather straps was two snap-on buttons.

You could connect the keychain using the two snap-on buttons, by attatching it in back of the case itself. Nifty indeed to show off your car\house keys or whatever else.

The iPhone is completely protected inside the case, with holes in the case for quick acess to the ringer switch, power button and volume controls.

Inside the case is a microfiber cloth which is supposed to clean the iPhone screen everytime you take the iPhone out of the case.

This feature didn't work too well though. The microfiber cleaning cloth only cleaned the middle of the screen. The cloth does not even touch the rest of the screen.

Everything looked beautiful other than the cloth. I couldn't ask for more.

That is, until I put the case on my belt. Unlike other cases with belt clips, this LRG-Monster case uses four belt loops built-in behind the case. Two loops are set so that you could hold your case horizonatally, and two loops were set for vertical.

I love horizontal cases because of the ease of removing and holstering your phone quickly and efficiently.

The belt loops were stretched out by my belt and the iPhone. The iPhone would fit into the leather case, but once I put the case around my belt, the case would form around my waist. This forced the flap to open up every so often, especially while sitting. This also put enormous pressure on the belt loops itself.

After about one week of using the case, the belt loops had snapped off, and my case fell off my belt. Fortunately no harm was done to my phone.

Being the LRG fiend I am, I went back to the Apple Store, and exchanged my LRG case for the same case, hoping mine was just defective.

Of course, I was wrong, and after a week of using the case horizontally this time, the one belt loop snapped off. This time, the case didn't completely fall off my waist. I noticed the case dangling by a few threads, and just ripped it off my waste and stashed the phone and case in my pocket.

I had then returned that case, and guess what I bought this time? Another one! they didn't carry the nylon version so again I got the same leather case. I then knew that it was just a design flaw and nothing could be done about it. So this time I used the keychain to hang my case of my own belt loops as shown in the website. (see below) This worked fine, but every so often (usually when I sit down) The keychain would unlock. As I stand up, my case drops to the ground. Fortunately I noticed each time this had happened.

Again, I returned that case and just got an Incase Fitted Sleeve and anti-glare Crystal Film. Works much better so far. I even saved $15. What was weird was that each time I went to the apple store, the same lady had helped me out. This was appaerantly the final straw for her to as she told me not to buy the case again.

Overall conclusion, don't get it. It's an extremely nice case but you will just end up breaking the case or worse. On the plus side, I did get a load of compliments when I was using the LRG case.

And that concludes my first ever review. Here are pictures and the website of the LRG-Monster collaboration case.

www.lrgisamonster.com

EDIT:
    EDIT: The LRG-Monster Case is no longer being sold at Apple Stores due to the magnetic cover and weak straps.
    EDIT:
    Last edited by realisticmind1; 2007-11-07 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Update

2. The Following User Says Thank You to realisticmind1 For This Useful Post:

jimmytim (2007-10-23)

Thanks
    Thanks for the review realisticmind1, I started reading about four paragraphs and jumped on their website and had a look, vey nice (I thought I should get one), but then finished reading and now having second thoughts about it.

Think I'll stick to the marware ceo for now.

are you kidding me.
    And who can forget Monster Cables? If you have a Hi-Def TV and you aren't using monster cables, then you just have a TV.
    Good review, but that just made me laugh and shake my head. Monster is garbage, marked up 80% at FS and BB for a reason...

Actually they are marked up 65 - 70% ;]. But compared to other cables that's standard mark up. (I would know since i worked at Best Buy for a while ) I've tried them all from standard stock cables to NXTech Cables. Nothing has given the most vivid picture and sound like monster cables do. And believe me, I was a Monster skeptic before, until we had a high def convention in AT&T park in San Francisco. Sony, Samsung, Monster, and a few other cable\TV makers were there. Monster blew away all the other cables in terms of audio and video.

Oh and the reason for being marked up is because in retail, televisions, especially those on sale are sold either at cost or below cost. the only way to make a real profit on selling televisions is by selling accessories (cables, mounts, ect.) that have been marked up. The other way to make a profit off of T.V's is by selling services (Geek Squad\Magnolia\Fire Dog installation services)

But anyways, care to tell me what cables you are using? I am always open to new things and other perspectives. Whatever will make my HT look and sound better especially ;]
    Last edited by realisticmind1; 2007-10-23 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by realisticmind1 View Post
    EDIT: The LRG-Monster Case is no longer being sold at Apple Stores due to the magnetic cover and weak straps.
    EDIT:
    Hello, so is the magnetic cover messing with the internally?

Cool RG Monster case was a big dissapoinment
    I got my iPhone as a present for Christmas. After holding it for 5 minutes my first thought was: how can I protect it... I spend almost 4 hours reading many blogs online about iPhone cases, when suddenly I came across LRG Monster case. I liked color choices, style and different ways to carry it. With that I went to the Apple store on December 26th. Boy, there were about 15 women at iPhone cases section desperately holding to their iPhones while trying to find the Right case for their "babies". Apple store has a big selection of skins and cases, but unfortunately you can not try it unless you bought it. That is very annoying not to be able to open and to touch the product... (The only difference from buying online is the fact that you got your purchase right away.) Finally I located LRG Monster case on the wall. I grabbed box and without any thought I opened right in the store (I was sure it was the One and I will buy it). Package itself looked like a good present. Case looked even better: quality and that, oh, golden clasp. So, I opened case and shoved my iPhone inside. It went tight, but isn't what everybody is looking for, right?
    As I was admiring it, suddenly, I'd heard a voice behind me: "And how will you know who is calling? It takes time to squeeze phone out..." As I turn case around I had to agree with Lady. She was right. It was impossible to know who is calling and more - by the time you will get your phone out you sure will miss your call. With sadness I packed case and hang it back. For $50 you, obviously, want protection, style (as close as possible to your phone style) and being able to access easy and fast to phone itself. I left Apple store without case, but I bought Anti-glare screen protection. It took me 20 minutes to put it right (actually it took only 2, but other 18 minutes I'd spend trying to get a few lint hairs from under, God knows how they got there...lol). I'm not very happy with Anti-glare version (but I never had tried a Crystal Clear one to compare, though many users happy about...)

Meanwhile, I'm more and more thinking about Vaja line. It's expensive but for that money ($80-$220 + customization) you get everything: style, beauty and protection with easy access. Plus, they have a wide selection types of cases.

I really hope somebody will come up with really cool design for less soon... Before I will go ahead and place an order with Vaja.

As I went through post about problems with LRG Monster case holster I'm very happy that I didn't buy it and that "voice in the store" stopped me for throwing away money.

Banned
    Thanks

Looks like garbage to me. Besides I've had way to many problems with leather cases. I'd have a better chance not using a case than using leather. They always scratch my phones and mp3's up

Anyone know where to find one online? My Apple Store doesnt have them in stock

Quote Originally Posted by Izuara View Post
    I got my iPhone as a present for Christmas. After holding it for 5 minutes my first thought was: how can I protect it... I spend almost 4 hours reading many blogs online about iPhone cases, when suddenly I came across LRG Monster case. I liked color choices, style and different ways to carry it. With that I went to the Apple store on December 26th. Boy, there were about 15 women at iPhone cases section desperately holding to their iPhones while trying to find the Right case for their "babies". Apple store has a big selection of skins and cases, but unfortunately you can not try it unless you bought it. That is very annoying not to be able to open and to touch the product... (The only difference from buying online is the fact that you got your purchase right away.) Finally I located LRG Monster case on the wall. I grabbed box and without any thought I opened right in the store (I was sure it was the One and I will buy it). Package itself looked like a good present. Case looked even better: quality and that, oh, golden clasp. So, I opened case and shoved my iPhone inside. It went tight, but isn't what everybody is looking for, right?
    As I was admiring it, suddenly, I'd heard a voice behind me: "And how will you know who is calling? It takes time to squeeze phone out..." As I turn case around I had to agree with Lady. She was right. It was impossible to know who is calling and more - by the time you will get your phone out you sure will miss your call. With sadness I packed case and hang it back. For $50 you, obviously, want protection, style (as close as possible to your phone style) and being able to access easy and fast to phone itself. I left Apple store without case, but I bought Anti-glare screen protection. It took me 20 minutes to put it right (actually it took only 2, but other 18 minutes I'd spend trying to get a few lint hairs from under, God knows how they got there...lol). I'm not very happy with Anti-glare version (but I never had tried a Crystal Clear one to compare, though many users happy about...)

Meanwhile, I'm more and more thinking about Vaja line. It's expensive but for that money ($80-$220 + customization) you get everything: style, beauty and protection with easy access. Plus, they have a wide selection types of cases.

I really hope somebody will come up with really cool design for less soon... Before I will go ahead and place an order with Vaja.

As I went through post about problems with LRG Monster case holster I'm very happy that I didn't buy it and that "voice in the store" stopped me for throwing away money.

Really? I go to the Apple Store all the time and take the iPhone cases out the box to check it out and the employees have never minded. They once even offered to put the case back into the box after I was done checking it out. When I first bought my iPhone, I dropped it and had a minor dent on the corner. I took it back to the Apple Store the next day and they exchanged it without any questions. That's why I love Apple so much, because other retail stores will never be this friendly.

By the way if anybody is still looking for them check here. I found them online for retail price still instead of paying ridiculous eBay prices of $100+

http://store.monstercable.com/store/...y.asp?catid=27

i've had my leather LRG case for almost 2 months now and I have not had a problem with it. When I receive a call its actually really easy and fast to take my phone out of the case. This case is just perfect, i've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by aphung View Post
    i've had my leather LRG case for almost 2 months now and I have not had a problem with it. When I receive a call its actually really easy and fast to take my phone out of the case. This case is just perfect, i've had no problems with it whatsoever.
    Is your case still going strong??

Is anyone else having any good luck w/ this case?

Smile Mines Fine
    I have the black LRG/Monster case, and mine has no issues. My first complaint, was the useless magnetic clips, because they didnt stay closed while case was fitted to my belt. Now I ghetto-rigged my case by applying velcrow squares to the case. It may be tacky, but it works!! Nobody knows that its velcrow holding my phone in. Unlike previous post, my belt straps never broke *knocks on wood* I personally love the case

Thanks

so how long does the strap actually last? my friends have the lrg case and seem to love it, i personally like how it looks and hangs from the belt