Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Old iphones as baby monitors/surveillance

Default Old iphones as baby monitors/surveillance
    Hello,
    I remember years ago using an app that would stream the iphone's camera to http. It may have been cycorder from cydia, but does not currently work. I have not come across any other app for this:

I would like to use my old iphones as wifi baby monitors. Video would be nice (why not?) Audio would definitely be a plus. One good advantage for this is they are battery powered and useful for moving the baby to another room temporarily where no power source would be convenient. I have sorted through a lot of apps, but search terms like, "iphone camera +stream +web +video" bring up nothing too related. Viewing the stream in a web browser, working with any platform (laptop, ipad, other iphone, even apple tv) would be best.
    I have seen other ideas like the ability to talk back to the baby or queue up a lullaby remotely. That would be nice. Viewing multiple phones or at least ability to have a list of remote phones to log onto also a plus.
    Recording and 3G viewing might be a plus to some, but primarily wifi live viewing using old, deactivated iphones is objective. I wouldn't mind using a computer as a server or re-encoder if it boiled down to it.
    For the main crib and bassinet I plan on mounting the old iphone docks for power. I've considered putting veency on the remote phones for configuring and manipulation. I could even load the phones up with baby lullabies to queue up remotely as an iPod.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas? Is something like this here already?

Stumbled on an app called "Best Baby Monitor"
    Will report results
    If anyone finds similar concepts please share.
    Thanks

Update: App doesn't seem to work with iphone 3g.
    Last edited by Interloper; 2011-09-07 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Update

I'm interested in your opinion on this app.
    I've seen a few on the app store, but the reviews were not to great. Keep us posted.

Appears no iphone 3g support for Best Baby Monitor app. Email quoted from

Hi Steven,

thanx for contacting me, you will need to purchase only one copy of the app and it can be installed on all devices linked to the same itunes account. The current version 1.1 supports ipod touch 3rd gen and newer, iphone 3gs and newer, and both ipads. I'm currently working on bringing in support for 2nd generation of iPod touch and iPhone 3G. 1st gen iPod touch and original iPhone are too slow for realtime audio/video streaming so they will not be supported.

I'm also working on supporting Mac client and other platforms in the future..., how it will be done is open at the moment, but I want to keep the video/audio very close to realtime with latency under 1 second.

please let me know if you have more questions,
    Martin

P.S. if you decide to buy the app and find it interesting, please consider leaving a positive rating on the AppStore, it helps the app as well as the other potential customers.