Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Auto Wifi app?

Default Auto Wifi app?
    I know this is probably something of old news about now but just wanted to ask...
    I used to have a decent blackberry with an app called SmartWifi and what it did was when you connected to a wifi location/hotspot (for example like home and work). It would save the general cell tower location data and whenever it is connected to that one wifi, if it found new location data (like on the other side of the house?) or just where ever it is connected to it it would update and add more cell tower location data to keep an area for that wifi and with the iphone having gps ability to use that info and save it to use, then when you leave that area it would turn the wifi back off until you came back near that area... Is there anything at all like that for iphone 3g? If not, would it be possible to make something that does something like that?

thanks in advance for any and all help
    Last edited by bayjell6543; 2011-09-03 at 03:36 AM.
    Tempus Fugit

I like to help whomever and whenever I can, always feel free to message me, or message me on my facebook, I don't mind either way. And to the big modders and devs, thanks a bunch for all yall do that makes the rest of our lives easier and/or more fun

~bayjell~

doesn't anyone know of any app similar to that??
    Last edited by bayjell6543; 2011-09-03 at 03:37 AM.
    Tempus Fugit

I like to help whomever and whenever I can, always feel free to message me, or message me on my facebook, I don't mind either way. And to the big modders and devs, thanks a bunch for all yall do that makes the rest of our lives easier and/or more fun

~bayjell~

there's an issue with what you're saying; you ask that when there's no network the wifi turns itself off and that when it gets near a wifi hotspot it would re-enable itself it would be impossibel for the wifi to search hotspots when off; there are a lot of applications that let you find wifi area's when you don't have wifi, because they are memorised in the application, the iphone itself won't connect until you say so but it might be better because of the battery usage of wifi searching

No, I must not have been clear. I am asking if there is an app that uses the built in gps. for example, you are at home, on your own wifi, and you goto that app and hit something called "save wifi location" and it will learn about the strength of the wifi signal about what the area is of that wifi, so that when you leave the area and goto the store (for example) that it automaticly turns off your wifi to save battery til you come back in range (gps coordinates) of your home wifi. Does that make better sense?

Or if you wanna know more about what sort of app I'm asking about, google "blackberry smartwifi" (no space between smart and wifi) and check out what that app does for blackberry, the only difference of what I'm asking about, is for an app that does that but uses the built in gps from iphone
    Last edited by bayjell6543; 2011-09-09 at 05:22 PM.
    Tempus Fugit

~bayjell~

There isnt an app exactly like this, but i believe MyProfiles can do what you want.
    This app lets you set up profiles your your device. You can have them automatically activate based on location, time of day, and more. You could set it up to use a profile that turns off wifi when you arent at your house.
    Here is a link to it.
    ModMyi.com | MyProfiles
    If i helped, don't be afraid to hit the thanks button. It won't bite!!!!

How may I hack you?

I have tried that on my 3GS 4.1 and it always crashes when I change any settings...but I liked the app, it was good, just need to find out what it doesn't like and doesn't get along with. lol
    Tempus Fugit

~bayjell~

Quote Originally Posted by bayjell6543 View Post
    I have tried that on my 3GS 4.1 and it always crashes when I change any settings...but I liked the app, it was good, just need to find out what it doesn't like and doesn't get along with. lol
    lol.
    It probably hasn't been updated very well by the developers. As of this point in time, I believe this is the only app that does this. There is another profiles app in cydia, but it doesnt do anything automatically. You have to actually manually change each profile when you want to turn stuff on/off. It's called Mobile Profiles. I find this app useless because i can just turn the settings off myself, just as easily.
    If i helped, don't be afraid to hit the thanks button. It won't bite!!!!

How may I hack you?