Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: anti theft application

Red face anti theft application
    hello all...

i own an iphone 2g fw 3.1.2 and a nokia n95 8gb.. i stumbled across an anti-theft app for the nokia phone.. it was called .. i'm looking for a similar app for iphone but so far have come across none like it.. i'm specifically looking for the following features in such an app..

- ability to run at startup.. i dont really care if its an apple approved app (they dont allow apps that run in background)

- dependance on sms to report theft rather than wifi, or gprs.. every app that i searched for requires an active data connection so that tracing info be uploaded online to their servers.. the problem is that here in pakistan where mobile snatching is very common, there isnt any public wifi hotspot to connect to. and to avoid data charges, i almost always keep my apn settings cleared.. so if my phone gets snatched, there isnt any way to get its location data from the net.. further more, the thief may replace my sim with his which may or may not have gprs settings activated and my phone may not even have the settings required to access his data connection to upload the required data..

on the other hand, the most reliable thing here is sms.. the app should have a few pre-defined slots where i could feed numbers of my close friends or relatives and when the app detects theft, it could sms on these numbers with the relevant info.. this gives me the thief's imsi and phone number too.. the app could also include the cell tower ids in its stack.. using a site like opencell.com, i can trace the approxiamate location of the phone..

in one line.. it should rely on sms instead of online data connection (gprs or wifi)..

- the ability to execute commands via specially-formatted texts.. for example, if you realize your cell has been stolen, you can send a command via text to the phone.. the app can read this text, execute the command and delete the text.. for example
    - delete contacts
    - delete sms conversations
    - delete photos
    - lock phone
    - unlock phone
    - emit audible siren
    - send imsi and cell tower ids to predefined numbers

i hope you get what im trying to talk about over here.. the manual for
    ---------------------------------

now my question.. does anyone know of an app for iphone that has similar (hopefully identical) functionality??? please please please do reply if you are aware of such an app..

asim
    Last edited by cpjr; 2010-03-21 at 02:58 AM.

hi igarza.. i did quite a search on the internet after which i came to know that booyah is a company and not an application.. the problem is that i cant locate their website at all.. and none of their apps featured across google search results appear to be a security app at all.. lest like the one im looking for.. if you can spare some time to write a couple of sentences rather than a single word.. i think it wont hurt.. and it certainly would help me a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by awesim View Post
    hi igarza.. i did quite a search on the internet after which i came to know that booyah is a company and not an application.. the problem is that i cant locate their website at all.. and none of their apps featured across google search results appear to be a security app at all.. lest like the one im looking for.. if you can spare some time to write a couple of sentences rather than a single word.. i think it wont hurt.. and it certainly would help me a lot..
    Ummm seriously dude, "BOOYAH" is not a company or application, its kinda like saying "HaHa"

He has a link to the app he's talking about in his post there.

all of a sudden i feel like a jerk.. .. hehe.. thanks.. looking at it right now.. .. thanks..

UPDATE..

i've seen this one.. and used it too.. but like i said.. it relies on a working data connection.. plus since im using iphone 2g which doesnt have gps.. the locations are way off..

id like an app that could JUST SEND A PRESTORED NUMBER A TEXT.. about the cell tower ids in its phone stack.. id have the would-be theif's number as well.. and id be able to roughly triangulate once i know the location of the cell towers from an open source cell id site..

i know it's not supposed to be that hard to code at all.. i would love to code such an app but alas i dont own a mac and vmware is beyond my grasp right now..

thread not closed still.. if anyone does know of such an app.. i would love to know that..
    Last edited by awesim; 2010-03-21 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost