Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: control iphone SMS from desktop?

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

Default control iphone SMS from desktop?
    im looking to be able to control my SMS from my desktop
    im on a mac, i know of veency, but its painfully slow.
    anyone know of anything that i could use to sms via my iphone, but on my mac?
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

Good question

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

lol thanks?
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

I've been looking for exactly the same solution myself for a year now and the best work around I've figured out is to use Skype SMS in conjunction with Phoneview. It's slightly more complicated than an all in one desktop app but I just don't think one exists.
    Using both Skype and Phoneview will allow you to read and reply to SMS/MMS without even touching your iPhone as long as it's docked. Of course you'll need Skype credit too (12 cents per SMS I think) but for the convenience of being able to bash out a message on a desktop keyboard I'm willing to part with it.
    Download Phoneview from here; PhoneView for iPhone and iPad - iPhone Disk Mode, SMS, Voicemail, Call History, Music, Photos, Notes Access - Ecamm Network
    To read new messages that arrive while your phone is docked just refresh the Phoneview window [command G]
    On the Skype side of things you'll need to have your contacts imported into the application and also have your mobile number set up against your account which is done in the preferences pane. Once that's done it's just a matter of right clicking on a contact's mobile number in Skype and then select Send SMS.. The recipient will see that it's come from your mobile.
    Again I know this isn't the ideal (bring back address book sms please Apple) but it's a happy workaround for me at least.
    Best of luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dtown For This Useful Post:

yesmaybe (2010-07-05)

Hi dtown,

Thanks for that info. It looks like Phoneview is a good product on it's own. If it was developed to integrate calling/messaging within the software, rather than just viewing / storing it would be a real seller and work like the Nokia OVI suite.

However, do you know if there is a Phoneview equivalent for the pc?

Thanks,
    Andy

From they ecamm site I found a link to the TouchCopy software from Wide Angle Software which does similar to the PhoneView for Windows.
    Last edited by yesmaybe; 2010-07-05 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost