Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 5-icon dock for 1.1.3/1.1.4

Default 5-icon dock for 1.1.3/1.1.4
    A 5-icon dock would be awesome. Caterpillar currently does it, however it is overly expensive. Can't this be reproduced?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dh96 View Post
    A 5-icon dock would be awesome. Caterpillar currently does it, however it is overly expensive. Can't this be reproduced?
    Pretty sure it will be.... but Caterpillar is truly a nice piece of software, its worth the dollar. I can see them getting with other developers and a lot of the apps we use now being merged into the app. This app seems to have a bright future IMO.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

Default Reflective/5 Icon Dock Without Caterpillar...FREE
    Quote Originally Posted by dh96 View Post

yea, this is a 'simple' (if you are on a mac) task all done by property list changes.

Here is more info, oh yea, and if you are on 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, there is no more reflective dock background in the iPhone's file system, so you will just have to use Summerboard for that one and create your own reflective dock such as in Photoshop. The reason I say it is simple for mac is because you have to use "plutil" in terminal to convert the plist files you need to edit into XML format, otherwise it is super easy.

Here are some guides that will help out. Oh and the converter that is mentioned on the first linked page does not work.

Reflective Dock

My gallery of very close to Apple reflective docks. (Unless mentioned, everything here is mine, meaning you can use it, but don't claim it as yours, I am not sure who made the first 2 docks, but they are pretty nice.

5 Icon Dock

Plutil (Binary to XML) Guide

Progress of doing this only on the iPhone
    ----------------------------------------------
    Everything could be done on the iPhone itself as far as the Binary to XML conversion, except for the fact that there is no "xml1" file included with Erica's Utilities. I will try to find this file on my Hackintosh when I get back home, but otherwise I am out of Bin to XML conversion for another day or so. Oh yea, and you may need to move the files from Erica's Utilities into your regular "bin" folder at the root of your iPhones filesystem if you are getting some error by terminal saying that it can not even find plutil.

But, this may just be do to me making a mistake, if anyone can help please do let me know by replying.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave the 5-icon dock a go despite my apprehensions about it actually working. As I thought, the method of editing plists no longer works on 1.1.3 and higher because apple changed how the springboard works. Springboard is now a 4x4 grid and I believe the dock is now 4x1. In order to get the dock to work there needs to be some editing to the grid so that the dock is 5x1.

Thanks for trying tho!

so anyone found a way to use 5 icon dock on a 1.1.4 iphone?

How the hell does caterpillar do it? If they can, we can FOR FREE... unless caterpillar uses an overlay dock sorta of thing and doesn't actually add a 5th icon to the grid.

^^ highly doubtful of that last bit. They are modifying something obviously, but what? Someone will def find out.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

they are modding the string plist no?

Any progress on this? I would really love 5 icons on my dock

Just get a crack for catarpillar

Quote Originally Posted by resillion View Post
    Just get a crack for catarpillar
    Wrong