Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Request: Unit Converter

So let me example it for you lets say you want to convert distances:

Inches to Centemeters
    Inches to Meters
    Inches to Yards
    Inches to Feet

Feet to inches
    Feet to yards
    Feet to Meters
    Feet to Centimeters

Centimeters to Inches
    Centimeters to Feet
    Centimeters to meters
    Centimeters to Yards

This is just an example of one set. Imagine How long this list would get if you wanted to convert distance, weight, computer terms etc.... the combinations of the various unit conversions would be huge. This needs to be broken down into easy to access groups.

I think you misunderstood. If I want to convert inches to something else. I would enter two things:

1. the number and
    2. inches

The app would then calculate all values for the other units. But it would only provide the metric unit of meter. If you then selected the value for meter, it would provide all fractions and multiples (i.e. Angstroms, micrometers, centi, deci, etc.)
    Come visit AlohaSoft

I would love to see a celcius <> fahrenheit converter as a native app -- it could be as simple as this :

http://www.stabb.com/tools/convert.html

JM, thanks for your time!

I currently use an application on my laptop for converting units (Convert it! Pro 3.0b). It is an .exe file @ 240kB.
    It currently has 35 different types of measurements for conversion, then in ea. one there is a lot of units to convert from/to.
    The measurements that I normally use are:
    1. temperature
    2. distance
    3. volume
    4. mass
    5. power
    6. pressure
    7. force
    8. density
    9. velocity
    10. torque

There are a few more, but they can wait for the second release (at least for me).
    Let me know if you will need screenshots or the application itself to get more ideas. I also can provide the formulas if required.
    I use this tool almost every day, I really will like to have it in my iPhone.
    Thanks!

I've started to develop a Unit Conversion application for myself. Take a look at http://iphone-converter.googlecode.com and let me know what you think
    I hope to add more measures/features (only if I would get a spare time...)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vladimirk For This Useful Post:

grado33 (2008-01-02)

Thanks

I find http://meatarian.co.uk/iphone/iconvert/ to be the most helpful. For for you Jiggy people out there, it's all javascript. Should be easy enough to make it native.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Vladimirk,

Thanks for your converter, I have test and it is brilliant
    I wait for more units.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Hey guys administrators, how about adding this to MMI source?

I've just added Installer.app repository:
    http://iphone.vladimirkofman.com (Add it to your Installer.app sources; you'll find Converter under "Vladimir Kofman's Applications" or smth like that)
    Please let me know if it works for you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vladimirk For This Useful Post:

Katronix (2008-01-04)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have written a unit converter that covers most of these conversions this for the PSP, in C of course, it has never been released into the public domain and I use it for my university course and give it to some of my "colleagues". As I have no experience in programming with Objective C or for the iPhone at all I have no plans to port it because I simply don't know how.

However, I will have a look at the standard of any that do get released and if I think I can do better I might port this (Learning Objective C first)or find a competent developer to give me a hand. This is assuming that I am able to find the time, which I have very little of these days.

It's possible though I may be able to work it through as a coursework submission for Uni, if so I can dedicate some of my academic time to it.

Don't hold your breath though because it may not happen.

I look forward to seeing what pops up in the meantime and I for one would find it extremely useful to have this on my iPhone, I'd rather they thought I was on my phone in lectures than Playing PSP games. (Because I normally am playing games, and I only get caught when I'm not, at which point I find it hard to explain I'm running "Homebrew)

EDIT: I didn't see the one by vladimir. It looks pretty decent so I guess I need not bother. Nice work vladimir.
    Last edited by alias_neo; 2008-01-04 at 07:03 PM. Reason: EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I find http://meatarian.co.uk/iphone/iconvert/ to be the most helpful. For for you Jiggy people out there, it's all javascript. Should be easy enough to make it native.
    I'd like to second that. I really would love to see this implemented as a native app. Not to criticize the Converter app by vladimirk, but this one beats it in its simplicity and efficacy. Just consider the simple conversion of Fahrenheit into Celsius:

Converter:

1. Tap "Measurement"
    2. Tap "Temperature"
    3. Tap "From"
    4. Tap "Fahrenheit"
    5. Tap "To"
    6. Tap "Celsius"
    7. Enter value

Result: Temperature in Celsius

iConvert:

1. Tap "Temperature"
    2. Tap "Fahrenheit"
    3. Enter value

Result: Temperature in Celsius and all other units as well

Someone please use this concept and make a better convert app.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

This is like a dream application for me -- it is exactly what i have always wanted. Thank you so much !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    I'd like to second that. I really would love to see this implemented as a native app. Not to criticize the Converter app by vladimirk, but this one beats it in its simplicity and efficacy. Just consider the simple conversion of Fahrenheit into Celsius:

Converter:

1. Tap "Measurement"
    2. Tap "Temperature"
    3. Tap "From"
    4. Tap "Fahrenheit"
    5. Tap "To"
    6. Tap "Celsius"
    7. Enter value

iConvert:

1. Tap "Temperature"
    2. Tap "Fahrenheit"
    3. Enter value

Don't you watch films? Pressing loads of things really, really fast, makes you look really, really cool!

Thanks

Iconvert is the best. I made an app so that an icon appears on the springboard and links to it through safari.

I'd like to see it made into a native app and the developer even says on the page that you can download it and do as you with with it.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    Iconvert is the best. I made an app so that an icon appears on the springboard and links to it through safari.

I'd like to see it made into a native app and the developer even says on the page that you can download it and do as you with with it.....
    I went a bit further and put it on my iPhone. I access it through Apache.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

vladimirk, thanks for your time!
    I just installed and tested your application (rev 0.14). It looks really good. I will suggest to change the fisrt page (when you open the program) it should go to the measurements page every time you open the application.
    keep the good work!

edit: rev update (sorry about it)!
    Last edited by Billy30; 2008-01-06 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post

Converter:

1. Tap "Measurement"
    2. Tap "Temperature"
    3. Tap "From"
    4. Tap "Fahrenheit"
    5. Tap "To"
    6. Tap "Celsius"
    7. Enter value

iConvert:

1. Tap "Temperature"
    2. Tap "Fahrenheit"
    3. Enter value

I agree that iConvert is simple and efficient (and currently more functional than Converter.app). In fact, I guess I wouldn't even try to write Converter.app if I would know that iConvert exists...
    But, I don't agree that it is always better to see all the results in one table (iConvert case)... I don't always care about all the units: usually I just want to convert between two of them (inch to cm or liter to gallon), and it is more user friendly to show only relevant units...
    I've made some changes to reduce the number of redundant clicks:
    1. Tap "Measurement" - last measurement is preserved, so you don't have to choose it again...
    2. Tap "Temperature" - look above...
    3. Tap "From" - No need to click, the screen opens automatically when new measurement is chosen
    4. Tap "Fahrenheit" - the last chosen unit is preserved
    5. Tap "To" No need to click, the screen opens automatically when new measurement is chosen
    6. Tap "Celsius" - the last chosen unit is preserved
    7. Enter value

I hope those changes will ease your pain...

As for showing all the units - if I'll have more spare time (and motivation) I'll create it as a second option for using Converter.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy30 View Post
    vladimirk, thanks for your time!
    I just installed and tested your application (rev 0.15). It looks really good. I will suggest to change the fisrt page (when you open the program) it should go to the measurements page every time you open the application.
    keep the good work!
    Hmm I hope we're talking about the same application, cuz the latest release of mine was 0.14c...

Thanks for your comment, I will probably make it optional (through settings) in the future releases.
    Last edited by vladimirk; 2008-01-06 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vladimirk For This Useful Post:

Billy30 (2008-01-06)

Quote Originally Posted by vladimirk View Post

Hmm I hope we're talking about the same application, cuz the latest release of mine was 0.14c...

Thanks for your comment, I will probably make it optional (through settings) in the future releases.
    you were right, my mistake! I already edited the post.
    Also, what if by mistake I select the pressure option instead of the power? right now i will need to enter from & to units before been able to select the power option. (power & pressure just an example)
    could there be an option of going back (or something similar)?
    thanks!

Thank you very much for this app Vladimir!

It looks really nice, and is very user friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy30 View Post
    you were right, my mistake! I already edited the post.
    Also, what if by mistake I select the pressure option instead of the power? right now i will need to enter from & to units before been able to select the power option. (power & pressure just an example)
    could there be an option of going back (or something similar)?
    thanks!
    Yes, I've already received complaints about that... Will fix (add back button) in the next release

24. The Following User Says Thank You to vladimirk For This Useful Post:

Billy30 (2008-01-11)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast