Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reply to SMS without quitting application?

Default Reply to SMS without quitting application?
    Forgive me if this already exists, but can somebody create something that will allow one to reply to a text message without quitting out of the application they're using?

I made a quick mockup. Sorry about the themes.

You can use either:

iRealSMS or MySMS. They both have quickreply features.

Thanks

also the new BiteSMS which is free for a month then u gotta buy
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

i real works the best ive found

All of those are shareware, and I don't feel like paying for something that Apple should have included on their phone. I was thinking of a plugin for MobileSMS.

well i think that we all want a plugin for mobile sms for landscape too but .....no there is none and i doubt that there will be anytime soon

Yeah.....no one's gonna develop a plugin when there are far better full sms apps already developed.

I really don't see why not. I'm sure I'm not alone in not wanting to give some shady company my credit card number because I want to use just one of the many features of their product. If three differenent developers have already done this, why can't another one do it, and not make it part of a separate app?

^Because the functionality would have to be written into the stock sms app.

You cant just "add" a quickreply function the the app, without writing the app to know what to do with it.

1st off its easier just to make a whole new app 2nd u dont have to give them your credit card number and everything use paypall

I am aware of that.
    It's not like it would be telling MobileSMS to do anything crazy. It would just have to tell the phone to send a text message.
    There has to be a way to do that without launching MobileSMS, since the third party apps can send messages without being launched. Somebody would just have to replace the popup window with a popup window that has a text box, and a couple of lines of code that would send the message.

Also, I don't feel like using any of those alternate apps. MySMS was nice, but it was slow and unresponsive. iRealSMS was ok, but I refuse to pay ten euros for something that will be obsolete in a few months.

I'm sorry. I must come off as whiny, but I don't see why none of the wizards who have already made so many great things for the iPhone have done this yet.
    Last edited by imnotgoingtorememberthis; 2009-02-20 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Grammar

^ I agree dude. I don't think it could he that hardto add a text box to the oem pop up and add the code to make thereply button send the text. Maybe not but it seems like simple coding to me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Maybe you two should get together and do it then. You seem to have it all figured out.
    I mean it's just simple coding.

hey I never said it was. Just that it seemed like it. I just don't like using a third party app for my text messages. I like the original app that came with the phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Try bite SMS. It's only 6$ and has quick reply. It looks just like the stock SMS app. And i think you can even make it look like the stock SMS app with the same icon. Just download it from cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotgoingtorememberthis View Post
    I really don't see why not. I'm sure I'm not alone in not wanting to give some shady company my credit card number because I want to use just one of the many features of their product. If three differenent developers have already done this, why can't another one do it, and not make it part of a separate app?
    look you have to understand how it works

im gunna give it to you the easiest way possible

think of a plug in as a power plug with the prongs

you can make something that has prongs and needs power ... but it wont work if there is no place for you to plug it in

it works this way with a program... you can write everything perfectly for a quick reply plugin but when it comes time to actually plug it in you will notice that there is no socket in the original sms app

therefore you have to recreate the sms app... which is what the devs of bite, ireal and my sms have done

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think we're on the same page here.
    I drew a quick picture to clarify.
    Black is what it currently does, and red is what a plugin could do.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ichwohneinloche View Post
    hey I never said it was. Just that it seemed like it. I just don't like using a third party app for my text messages. I like the original app that came with the phone.
    Same. I use iRealSMS (paid) for quick reply and it (quick reply) works great. But I don't want to have to use iRealSMS as the default SMS app. When I send texts on the app itself (not quick reply), my iPhone stops responding until the message is sent. I like how you can click "Send" on the original text app and either close the app or go back to another message while it's sending.

And another thing I hate about iRealSMS is that while you're in the app, if you're texting someone and someone else sends you a text, you get a pop-up letting you know you got a text from someone. That's extremely annoying! I wish iRealSMS would just alert you with a sound like the original text app does.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

yeah i see what your saying and basically you are showing me a tree chart of iRealSMS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    it should work that way direct from apple SMS

Bump for that amazing SMS tree lol
    Last edited by iFlorida; 2009-02-20 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast