Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Last.fm MobileScrobbler modification or new app?

Thanks

Default Last.fm MobileScrobbler modification or new app?
    I have installed MobileScrobbler via installer and have created a last.fm account. Using this i can set playlists online on my account and then access them via edge from anywhere.

This effectively gives the iphone an unlimited source of music, a gazillionbytes of music to work with.

I have a few issues (although they could be me just being a noob?!)

Firstly, you dont seem to be able to upload music to their database, which means you are stuck listening to songs which they add to the database. this is a great app and a great idea, but is very limited trackwise (many tracks are only 30 seconds long aswell)

Secondly, on the search option when you search for an artist it comes up with "similar artists" (slightly annoying?!)

It would be ultimately sick if someone could create an app on the same basis as mobilescrobbler where the iphone streams music from an online database which is accessable via the app and easily browsable, and the music on the database is uploaded from peoples itunes.

This would turn any ipod touch / iphone into an unlimited music source.

I think i can honestly speak for all iphone / ipod touch users by saying that this would be worth paying money for!

I dont know where to start with making apps so if anybody has any input or would like to take this project on it would be great and i would support as much as i could.

This app could truly immortalise the iphone.

have found webot.com , which streams files from your pc but still isnt quite what i mean.

how hard would this be to put together and is it possible?

any input would be good.
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-03-04 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This would be too difficult considering all of the legal boundries. What you don't realize (it sounds like you're new to last.fm) is that last.fm isn't a website to stream your favorite music from. It is primarily a social network and music discovery tool. The reason a lot of the artist's tracks are only 30 seconds long is due to copyright laws and the RIAA. last.fm is the only website in its class to have the amount of music available to stream in the way that it does. For your idea to work, someone would basically have to create the biggest illegal online music database in the world, and stay unknown so that the riaa didn't come across it. This will never happen. No one has the money and time to invest in something that will be shut down before it even gets off its feet.

Thanks

ye fair play, the legal boundaries would be quite the obstacle!

i have set up "WeBot" and this works for my personal music, however, it is not very friendly with interacting with the iphone (no skip of tracks and albums show up in alphabetical not album order etc.)

would be cool if someone could design something like 'WeBot' but make it fully iphone specific so the interaction between the iphone and the app would be like using the ipod function (or as near as).

this would mean you could have a 4gb iphone set up with edge/wifi, log on and access all of the music on your main computer(s) hard drives (amount only limited by the size of your computers harddrive) from anywhere and play your music (possibly videos, pictures etc aswell)

imagine being on the train home from work and streaming the latest episode of lost/ the latest blockbuster movie / the latest album you have uploaded to your pc.

this would at least eliminate most peoples needs for an expanded harddrive anytime soon.

if WeBot can do it surely it is legal, and i can imagine many people would use this??

Anyone interested in taking this on or any feedback would be great again.

Thanks.

Reeko

WeBot does look pretty good for this, and I imagine that since they already have an iphone web interface, that once the SDK comes out on thursday, they should be coming out with a native app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SeeqPod
    Personally, i use www.SeeqPod.com

It is completely online and it features TONS of songs, i have yet to look for a song and not find it. It has a great interface and if you run 1.1.3/4 you can create a webclip to make it look like an application. The songs buffer fairly fast even on EDGE

I have not tried yet but if you install the new safari download plugin you should be able to save all the songs you want off of SeeqPod

PS it also works on computers if you want to listen to a song but not download.