Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tweak Request: Car Audio - Speaker phone through dock connector

Default Tweak Request: Car Audio - Speaker phone through dock connector
    Please PLEASE, no one chime in with other ways to get speaker phone to work. I know them all... I'm looking for one specific way. Go away if you're going to harass this thread with useless info.

Ok here's what a lot of people want (about 30 that I know of right now).

My car has an aftermarket iPod integration system via the dock connector. With my iPhone plugged in...

I can; Listen to music through the stereo, change tracks through the stereo, hear system sounds, and incoming call ringtones.

I cannot; force the phone to speaker phone through the stereo. Ideal setup would be incoming sound over car speakers, microphone via the iphone itself.

Anybody know a way to force this solution? Myself and many others would greatly appreciate this tweak!

-Brett

Thanks

I dont have an car with ipod integration and forgive me if this is "useless information". I know speaker phone works when in the audio jack. Have You tried pluging in (the ipod dock plug from your car) to the dock that came with your phone? there is an audio out plug on that dock. Perhaps you could integrate both through the dock. Just a suggestion
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

Default Yeah!
    I have the same issue as the topicstarter. Recently intergrated my iphone 3g into my car thrugh an original apple dock connector cable (audio, video and usb charge). I have ipod audio out, but no telephone audio out. I know that apple disabled dock connector cable telephone-out function, but there MUST be a way to swich in on again...

Demien

Quote Originally Posted by danvicente View Post
    I dont have an car with ipod integration and forgive me if this is "useless information". I know speaker phone works when in the audio jack. Have You tried pluging in (the ipod dock plug from your car) to the dock that came with your phone? there is an audio out plug on that dock. Perhaps you could integrate both through the dock. Just a suggestion
    I know that method, and no, it's not what I want. I already have one cable hooked up to my iphone in my car and honestly it's one cable too many. Adding another to activate that feature is not an option.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone 3G phone audio via dock
    I want to use an iPhone 3G in my car, and :-
    i) charge the iPhone
    ii) listen to music / watch video via the car's A/V AUX input (kids have TV in the back)
    iii) listen to incoming phone calls via the car's A/V AUX input, using the iPhone's built-in microphone.

WITHOUT having to use the headset jack for audio, AS WELL AS the dock for power. One cable is already too many - 2 is insane.

I visited 2 'genius' bars in different Apple stores, looking for a way to route phone audio via the dock.
    No genius had ever tried to do this, or had any way how to do it.
    More interestingly, they couldn't offer an explanation for why on earth Apple designed the 3G without this 'obvious' feature.

I tried to get specs for the dock connector electricals, thought I might be able to customise a connector.
    No luck so far.

Has anyone worked out how to do this ?

Well then, you cant. There is nothing out.

And be a little nicer when asking for info. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Well then, you cant. There is nothing out.

And be a little nicer when asking for info. Thanks.
    I've asked this question on several forums including this one in another section. Every time the thread gets out of hand with people who stray off the topic and come up with their own crazy ideas when I've already stated precisely what it is that is needed.

My wording is precise and polite at the same time. It's to avoid issues, communication errors or snobby jerks.

There is no 'you can't' by the way, but your second statement is true; there is nothing out... yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    cpjr,
    When you say 'Well then, you cant', do you really mean 'I dont know' ?

If you want others to 'be a little bit nicer', perhaps you could lead by example - the post you are replying to was clear enough.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If we want to speak of technicalities... "you can't" can be synonymous with "there is no way right now"

Can humans fly? 500 years ago the CORRECT answer was they can't. Now we have airplanes, choppers, etc.

Back on topic....

I think it is a hardware limitation. Technically Apple doesn't even allow for any sort of docking of the iPhone other than to a PC. I think they just don;t really want to deal with technical support so it is easier to disable neat things like that than to make them work. Same thing with bluetooth... why on earth would you NOT allow sync, stereo music, etc. on a bluetooth? It is probably just not worth it to them right now.

Another thing... this is to the thread starter....
    Being that this is not YOUR thread (as in not owned by you), if I so chose I could post pics of puppy dogs and kittens if I wanted to. You are asking for help and then banning anyone from saying anything other than the answer you want to hear? Well, the thread would have exactly 1 post right now if this were true, maybe more with the word "bump" littered across the screen.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post

Another thing... this is to the thread starter....
    Being that this is not YOUR thread (as in not owned by you), if I so chose I could post pics of puppy dogs and kittens if I wanted to. You are asking for help and then banning anyone from saying anything other than the answer you want to hear? Well, the thread would have exactly 1 post right now if this were true, maybe more with the word "bump" littered across the screen.
    I'm asking for a specific solution as I already know all other options. Your post is precisely why I was so specific in the first place. I'd rather "bump" the thread then have people bicker over useless information. Saying "can't" is another way of saying "i'm too narrow minded to think outside the box"... which is precisely why the world was flat, or we couldn't fly.

Please leave the thread alone if you cannot participate. If someone who actually works with the software and can confirm it's a hardware limitation then the thread can be ended, all fine and dandy. No one has done that yet, and the iPhones work with more than just computer docking by the way.

Sooo again. If someone knows of a way to enable speaker phone through the dock connector audio-out, or knows of it in the works, please post. Danke!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Someone's too demanding.... Actually, I think he is too lazy to sift through people's attempts to help him and doesn't deserve to be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by kyevey View Post
    Someone's too demanding.... Actually, I think he is too lazy to sift through people's attempts to help him and doesn't deserve to be helped.
    incorrect. I've spent much time talking to iPhone integration solution companies and reading as much information on all forums.

I'm not being demanding, I'm being specific.

Sorry to reply in this almost 3 year old topic
    But I want the exact same thing done!

This must be possible with some kind of tweak in cydia.
    This cannot be a hardware limitation.
    The only thing that must be done is to push the audio in a call through the dock audio port.
    Someone with the right skills should be able to do this.

I have looked everywhere on internet, but to this date there really is no solution to this.

I have an iPhone 4.
    I have a cable that is connected to the dock that charges the phone and is connected to the aux port of my car.
    EVERYTHING goes through the car speakers using this aux port. EXCEPT when you are in a call.
    (I understand Braymond141 frustration here )

I am still looking for a solution for this. Is there no way that via-software we can have sound come out from through the dock connector audio (just like it does with pretty much any other audio as well as skype and others) instead of the built in speaker/headphone jack? There is now way to hi-jack the sound output from the phone and redirect it to the dock connector?

for starters i think Braymond141 touched on a very high demanding subject, i for one am getting frustrated and annoyed with searching forums that ends with no solution to this problem. it is the most pathetic limitation that i have seen apple implement. in regards to the 30 pin outs, why on earth have the same line out l/r that has the same functionality as the jack yet stop phone call audio from traveling through? its bizarre and totally unnecessary. I also don't want to read a bunch off crap in a thread on every page to eventually realize there's no solution down the bottom. Braymond141 is right, either help or dont post, the amount off time it takes to find an answer or go through threads and reading each line by line to find no solution is overkill. all posts should be relevant to the subject and not nonsense crap. We are here to learn and get things done and move on with life, not spend hours in forums and google just to see the same repetitive stuff over and over.

With that said, I in no way beleive it is a hardware limitation. the phone calls would use the same methods as any audio in the phone. if music plays through the dock then obviously it is a software / driver / daemon that's using an event function call that would be isAnswered() or something to then tell the lineout on the connector to shut off (or to put it cleanly, no longer receive signal). this is my simplified theory obviously and without the source code im digging around to find a solution too "fix" this stupidity limitation. I believe a more skilled developer out there will be able to have something for this (probably within an hour), but i feel the attention hasn't been raised too them and are unaware off such problem. I've heard over and over again about linking the jack to an aux which will work.... well that just defeats the purpose off having a usb iphone compatible stereo unit then having a cable on top off the phone and bottom is just ridiculous considering the phone is in and out off the car constantly. I have some skills in development in iphone apps etc, but to learn the jailbreak side or patching the "culprite" application seems soooo much effort for something that shouldnt had been implemented to start with :/