Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: gps - findmyfone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default gps - findmyfone?
    my gf had her 2g stolen and now she has a 3g. this got me thinking "man i'd be pissed if my iphone was stolen!" and ppl normally return lost cell phones but not iphones! anyway, since the 3g has gps is it possible to have an app that can be activated remotely that will transmit a location of some sort so you can get your stolen/lost iphone back?

i think its a great idea and i understand that if this did happen i'd seriously injure anyone who took my iphone but hey i'd have my phone back.

thoughts? sorry if this has been discussed...

Default I would be happy to take on the idea
    Hi,
    I think this is a great idea, and one that is easy to make as well. If any other developers want to jump on this with me (not that i need any) but if you want to help contact me at aljama(nospam)@(nospam)command-interactive.com .

My thoughts on writing this application are short and simple.
    A background app that is launched on boot (very easy)
    (idea one)
    Every 5 min or so it checks with a database to see if is reported stolen, if so, start transmitting location.
    (idea two)
    Runs like the twitter app, reports location regardless of wether phone is stolen or not.

As you can see, this is very easy to do. I will try to get this done in my free time.

From,
    AlJaMa

You really think you going to beat on somebody if you do find it. Come on this is so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by AlJaMa View Post
    Hi,
    I think this is a great idea, and one that is easy to make as well. If any other developers want to jump on this with me (not that i need any) but if you want to help contact me at aljama(nospam)@(nospam)command-interactive.com .

(idea one)
    Every 5 min or so it checks with a database to see if is reported stolen, if so, start transmitting location.
    (idea two)
    Runs like the twitter app, reports location regardless of wether phone is stolen or not.

As you can see, this is very easy to do. I will try to get this done in my free time.

From,
    AlJaMa

From what I understand about 2.1 is that it doesn't allow background apps to run.....

I'm also looking for an app like this

Thanks

thanks for the interest AlJaMa, i dont know if its possible but i think its a worthwhile app to try for IMO.

whether i would beat on someone or not is up to them i suppose, i'd ask nicely (prolly not) and hopefully they give it up without a fight. all i'm really looking for is an app that can use the technology available to return the iphone to its rightful and deserved owner.

I can help with this, i just emailed AlJama

Thanks

There's a helpful program on iTunes called "Private". No theft could resist running this when they steal your phone. When they run it, it says its trying to open the picture library, but it's really emailing you the GPS coordinates of the phone.

Hi,
    (idea one)

From,
    AlJaMa
    Neither idea would be supported by Apple. Also whose going to create and maintain this database? And whose going to run the call center to take the reports of stolen phones? Simple idea, major undertaking.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-09-27 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

dtunes runs on background on my 2.1, I don't see why this won't work
    And DuRu, if i stole your iphone and you found me, what would you do? Fight me? Call the cops? You see the only thing stupid was your reply...please don't shatter someone ideas because it won't help you out....aljama, I'm good in photoshop , email me @
    My MMi user name @me.com
    Last edited by z3r01; 2008-09-27 at 05:25 PM.

Hi,
    I would just like to clear up some confusion. I am developing this on a jailbroken platform, and thus I make this application run in the background.
    Secondly, addressing who will maintain the database, i have had someone contact me will ing to help with that end of it, including a web interface.

You guys do bring up some interesting points such as a interestingly name app store app that would be manually launched by the thief. I like this idea, but I doubt this will be approved by apple.

-Aljama

Thanks

what if like the "private" app it emailed coordinates every 5 minutes, would this cut out the need for a database/call center? i like the idea of the private app but it sounds like its only useful when the app is touched so what if they access the app while on the go? sol, i think.

Thanks

You guys do bring up some interesting points such as a interestingly name app store app that would be manually launched by the thief. I like this idea, but I doubt this will be approved by apple.

-Aljama
    Its already been approved by Apple and is currently on the Appstore for 99 cents. It's called Private-I

Quote Originally Posted by unlockme View Post
    what if like the "private" app it emailed coordinates every 5 minutes, would this cut out the need for a database/call center? i like the idea of the private app but it sounds like its only useful when the app is touched so what if they access the app while on the go? sol, i think.
    Just like any other legitimate third party App, it cannot run in the background. If the App is made for jailbroken phones, Apple will not support it, and really, who's going to trust the validity of such an App. I certainly wouldn't pay a monthly fee for this service (and you would need a monthly fee to maintain the database) which may be defunct in the future with new Apple firmware.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-09-27 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

i dont like the idea of a database and i dont like the idea of the appstore either. i vote to stay away from both. all i want is gps coords sent to me directly through email... i want remote access to my own phone through my desktop in order to activate the app and also recieve gps coords on the fly to my desktop. ya know kinda like 'gps kids' since my iphone iiiiis my baby.

Thanks

I fail to see the point of this. As soon as you report the iphone stolen, it's 'unique' imei is blacklisted. Meaning that if it were to sprout up again, there would be no need for all of this gps nonsense. It would be tracked down directly to the account holder. Theoretically, this should be enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    I fail to see the point of this. As soon as you report the iphone stolen, it's 'unique' imei is blacklisted. Meaning that if it were to sprout up again, there would be no need for all of this gps nonsense. It would be tracked down directly to the account holder. Theoretically, this should be enough.
    this is true. might not work for my gf's situation since its an unlocked 1st gen not purchased on the rogers network, besides, then i'm counting on them to findmyfone for me ( see what i did there ).

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a good idea but would be difficult to get to work. The remote connection would be the difficult thing I think. Creating some sort of safe way for youo and only you to be able to connect to the phone from your desktop. Definately doable, but would need lots of time to create. If it can't make it to the appstore, it would be hard to get someone to make it.

I also see a few flaws:
    1) So you make it to where your stolen phone is. unless they guy is sitting there playing with it you can;t just have people empty their pockets to find who actually has it. It's not like it is precise to the point where you can point out a guy in a group of three people and say with certainty he has it.
    2) Reception sucks inside. There is a chance you wouldt get triangulation in time.
    3) If I stole an iphone to keep I would be on top of things. Restore - game over. If I stole it to sell, it is no longer my problem, I would unload it for a wuick 300 bucks (without a contract you KNOW thats a steal) and not worry any longer. Would be awesome to beat up some kid who got his parents to buy him a "cheap" phone thinking he was the theif...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

maybe there could be a car chase involved?!? How cool would that be! Ya think bond will have an iPhone in QoS?

Most people who are willing to steal this sort of thing, aren't exactly IT experts. They won't know to restore it, at least not the first night. Someone stole my iPod a few years ago. I had a good feeling it was this hispanic kid in my class, who was staring at my backpack when I woke up from a nap. I called the cops, they went to his house, and threatened him and his mom to give it back. I believe the surprise factor of being caught with such a thing will make most people give it up. If it's returnable without having charges pressed, there is little reason not to give it up. Police will investigate this sort of thing. Without proof they won't make an arrest, but a convincing talk is usually enough. Thats what the police are here for, not just to write speeding tickets.

I wrote about 1/4 of the app so far.

1. GPS is excellent in my DC suburb area, indoors and outdoors. Triangulation isn't necessary with 3g phones in a decent area.
    2. As for the security concerns, being stalked isn't an issue. The servers only store the location of phones reported stolen. It would kill your battery to keep reporting it's location. Worst comes to worst, some theif is stalked, which is the purpose of this.

Car chase would be awesome, but the phone won't report it's location that often. Battery life is critical if the thief didn't steal the charger.
    Last edited by dapaintballer331; 2008-09-29 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm sure it would make a good app to put on your spouse's phone to keep dibs on where she's at, or if she's lying about where she goes...???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    I'm sure it would make a good app to put on your spouse's phone to keep dibs on where she's at, or if she's lying about where she goes...???
    rofl.

thanks for the effort dapaintballer331 and i agree with what you have said. i'm in canada and the iphone is still new here therefore many ppl dont know how to use it. when ppl ask to use my phone they usually dont have a clue as to how to dial out especially since i use categories.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapaintballer331 View Post
    Most people who are willing to steal this sort of thing, aren't exactly IT experts. They won't know to restore it, at least not the first night. Someone stole my iPod a few years ago. I had a good feeling it was this hispanic kid in my class, who was staring at my backpack when I woke up from a nap. I called the cops, they went to his house, and threatened him and his mom to give it back. I believe the surprise factor of being caught with such a thing will make most people give it up.
    Kid was stupid. Most people know their rights, thieves more-so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast