Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone--> wireless Internet card

Lightbulb iPhone--> wireless Internet card
    Someone needs to make an application that, when tethered with your computer gives you 3G Internet connection from your phone to your computer. That would be so cool and if the developer sold it for $10 they could make a fortune.
    Just an idea.

There already is one. It's called netshare. It was in the appstore for $10 for less than a day - apple had to pull it causebit violates AT&T tos. Lucky for me, I bought it during that one day window.

Default I think they do!
    I think there is such a thing. It's a $10 app from a company called Nullriver. Here is the link: Ernie The Attorney: Use the iPhone as a broadband wireless card
    It's almost like they read your mind, with the $10 thing and all...Good Luck!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monica123 View Post
    I think there is such a thing. It's a $10 app from a company called Nullriver. Here is the link: Ernie The Attorney: Use the iPhone as a broadband wireless card
    It's almost like they read your mind, with the $10 thing and all...Good Luck!
    PdaNet is free from Cydia. Not really sure what the trial and full version is for because I heard you can still use it after the trial ends???
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Pdanet is a free 2 week trial then it's $19 i think.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

When you use these apps do you have to pay extra per month on your ATT bill? Will it use up a ton of your 'unlimited' data? Do they have a cap on your 'unlimited' data? I know it can't be UNLIMITED... lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Poseidon79...

Quote Originally Posted by June Fabrics website
    What is the difference between the free version and the full version? How do I purchase and register?

The free version will limit you to only http web traffics, otherwise it is the same as the full version which supports all connections.

PdaNet installation comes with a 14 days trial in full mode (some older versions may have a longer trial period), then becomes the free version if not registered. Installing a newer version normally resets the trial period.

The cost of PdaNet is $29 per license. To register the full version, make sure PdaNet is connected and go to http://my.iPhone on your computer. You can also go directly to PdaNet for iPhone Purchase Agreement to purchase PdaNet and enter the license code on the phone end.
    It says the free version will limit you to only http web traffics...not sure what that really means. I have an idea, but not entirely sure.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

I used this one most days and it works great every time

iModem for iPhone iSoft

John (don't forget the thanks button)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Prioryman For This Useful Post:

killermike (2009-02-02)

thanks prioryman it helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    It says the free version will limit you to only http web traffics...not sure what that really means. I have an idea, but not entirely sure.
    In PDAnet's case, it means it only allows you to connect to port 80 (http) of any IP.
    Last edited by marcolz; 2009-02-04 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling

I recommend PdaNet, it's $29 to buy, but it works just like a wireless card, it installs a device driver in windows if you install the desktop client. It works for everything unlike iPhone modem which only let's certain traffic through, but you can use other programs to forward programs through the available ports, it's just alot of hastle.

At&t does have a limit to the iPhones data usage, but they say it's unlimited. They have what's called a "Fair usage agreement" which if you exceed they can stop your service. I can't remember the limit though. But I use about 1GB a month of download bandwidth.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

PDANet cost $30 bucks via Cydia.

I love it because the new update you can tether via USB cable. I didn't mind the ad-hoc tethering but when my PC went to sleep it would disconnect. I'm good with computers but not no expert. With the new PDANet I just plug in and go to my desktop application (the one you download from PDAnets website) and hit connect. 2 seconds and I'm connected.

It's a small price to pay. $30 bucks.

By the way. AT&T data limit for aircards or mobile devices are 5GB data a month.
    They call it a soft limit, sucks right?
    Last edited by gQstatus05; 2009-02-06 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

iPhone? More like MyPhone aussiebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Im with 3 in Australia and I have a wireless card now in a 3g router also from 3.
    Cost was about $100 for the router but I can use my data allowance on my laptop,pc and as soon as I am in range my iPhone.
    No need to keep configuring anything just put in the password on the bottom of the router.
    Im sure you can pick up a 3 g router on ebay somewhere?
    My signiture? Whats that...............

I found an extremely easy way to actually turn your iPhone into a portable access point using PdaNet, Insomnia, and Backgrounder. I'll speak in Mac terms.

Start Insomnia on your phone. Click the AirPort icon in the menu bar. Click Create a Network. Name it and OK it. Once the network is made, connect to it on your iPhone. After the phone has connected to the network, click the AirPort icon again and disconnect from the network. You can turn off AirPort or connect to another network or anything on your computer. You'll notice that no matter what you do on your computer, the network will stay connected to the phone. The phone isn't actually connected to anything; rather, it has now become the host of the network you started on the computer. In other words, your phone will now appear as an access point on any wireless devices. Start PdaNet, background it, and now all of your iPod touch-owning friends can share off your Internet as long as they are around you.

V1.33 of PDAnet is completely free, no charge after 14 days or anything.

Search for PDAnet in MMI and there is a thread about how to downgrade to it...