View Poll Results: Whould you like to see the 'Listen' app working?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definately

334 88.59%
  • Nice, but can do without

25 6.63%
  • No, no use for it.

9 2.39%
  • What app?

9 2.39%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Erica Sudan's Listen app

Thanks

Talking Erica Sudan's Listen app
    Hey everyone, if you guys have been in the installer and have noticed the app 'Listen' isn't working then I'll let you in on why if you don't know.

The app is supposed to pull a five second clip of music that you have playing on the radio or where ever and then search the gracenotes database for the Song, Artist and Album info and display it for you. Well Erica ran into a road block with Gracenote and stopped working on the project. It's an issue of licensing and cost.

Personally I would like to see this app finished. She told me that it is a little more than she can afford to put into a project, which is where I thought we could help.

I'd like to set up a contribution to finish the project, but first I'd like to know who would even use the app. If you want to see it finished let me know. If enough people want this program, I purpose that we start a fund for the licensing. I will set up a paypal account, with the account info in the care of the folks here at modmyi.com and we'll see if we can't get this up and running. If it doesn't work, everything that redistributed back.

Let me know, thanks!

__________________________________________________ _______________________

For all those interested, the account is here, but please do not add anything until i get full approval from the admins before doing this.
    Last edited by J_Marley; 2008-01-23 at 07:00 PM.

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J_Marley For This Useful Post:

know_stress (2008-06-04)

happy to be the 1st

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I used it when it came out and I would still use it if I could.

Thanks

Well, I need to know people would be willing to contribute. I know there is a long way to go, but if there is no support from anyone, there is not much I can do about it.

Happy to help this is one of the best APPS on the Iphone, lets get it done and all give something so she can finish it for sure!!

It would be great if the iphone community would come together for some of these programs that people work hard for.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

What is the total cost for licensing?

Thanks

idk, she didn't tell me. She said a lot tho. I need to get back to her and see exactly what we are talking about here. I know that licensing this kind of stuff isn't cheap tho.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Marley View Post
    Hey everyone, if you guys have been in the installer and have noticed the app 'Listen' isn't working then I'll let you in on why if you don't know.

The app is supposed to pull a five second clip of music that you have playing on the radio or where ever and then search the gracenotes database for the Song, Artist and Album info and display it for you. Well Erica ran into a road block with Gracenote and stopped working on the project. It's an issue of licensing and cost.

Personally I would like to see this app finished. She told me that it is a little more than she can afford to put into a project, which is where I thought we could help.

I'd like to set up a contribution to finish the project, but first I'd like to know who would even use the app. If you want to see it finished let me know. If enough people want this program, I purpose that we start a fund for the licensing. I will set up a paypal account, with the account info in the care of the folks here at modmyi.com and we'll see if we can't get this up and running. If it doesn't work, everything that redistributed back.

Let me know, thanks!

__________________________________________________ _______________________

For all those interested, the account is here, but please do not add anything until i get full approval from the admins before doing this.
    How much money are we talking about raising here? $100? $1,000? 100,000? I would be willing to donate, but only if the end goal was a reasonable amount of money. being that this probably isn't a must have application for the average user, I doubt we could collect thousands of dollars.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Its a graeat app and i want to help

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Love the app and I would be willing to help to an extent.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

other phones have this feature built in to them. why is it not working or a problem to make it work with the iphone? just curious. i tried using the app before and it didn't do anything. so i uninstalled it

It didn't do anything because Gracenote blocked us from using their server database to search for songs. We need to purchase a License to use the Server. Find out the total cost, if it's a reachable amount, then I will surely donate...

Reako

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    How much money are we talking about raising here? $100? $1,000? 100,000? I would be willing to donate, but only if the end goal was a reasonable amount of money. being that this probably isn't a must have application for the average user, I doubt we could collect thousands of dollars.
    She said she was looking at 6 figures for licensing. I'm planning on xontributing myself, and continuing this on other sites as well. I'm not asking us to do this on our own. I know its a lot, but I'm going to try. I just need to know if there are enough people willing to support the effort.

I would be happy to contribute as well...
    When the App was up-and-running it worked great!

Thanks

Ok guys. Think about this too. Not only will this licensing allow this program to work, but will let Erica use it for whatever else comes up in the future. Plus, this can be sold once the offical SDK software is released and the profits could go into future projects. Any ideas guys?

I don't think 6 figures is reasonable, but I could donate a small amount... $10 or so... I don't have much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBito View Post
    I don't think 6 figures is reasonable, but I could donate a small amount... $10 or so... I don't have much
    I agree. I think 6 figures is pretty outrageous, but I figure this: you said you could possibly contribute $10. I could contribute $25ish to start. 30 people said they would like to use this. Now if each person of those 30 put in $10-$15 that would be $300-$450. This is just the first day, plus only on one website. Not to mention of course, I'm sure that I could convice a few programmers and companies to help sponsor/fund some of the project. If we get enough, I'm sure we could convice gracenotes to take a little bit of a cut on it for the community. Suddenly, it starts to seem a little more reasonable.

Also, once the SDK is implemented, the license can be used for other projects, some that can be sold and put back into use, perhaps even paying for the licensing. Idk, I'm trying to think long term tho, not just for this project, but more to come.

If someone thinks this is too ambitious, just let me know. I'm glad to hear everyone's opinion.

in my opinion this amount of $$ is unreachabl... idk if u guys hav herd of the rom repos that were set up a lil while back but anyway they only needed 250 for a new server and it took them nearly a week... sure this was partially the result of poor advertising but still... if u attempt to raise that money u will need apprx 10000 ppl to donate with the avg person donatin $10..... seems unrealistic that this could even be reachd over a yrs time... :: pf edit :: no warez links, thanks :: edit ::

Thanks

Yikes! That's alot of mula! but, yep! I wanna help for sure! Geesh! if it wasn't for people like her and others, our iphones would no doubt be BORING!! So thanks, and yeah, lets all donate and help!!
    Stay Sexy, Sweet, and Wonderful!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast