View Poll Results: Whould you like to see the 'Listen' app working?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definately

334 88.59%
  • Nice, but can do without

25 6.63%
  • No, no use for it.

9 2.39%
  • What app?

9 2.39%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Erica Sudan's Listen app

When you say 6 figures are we talking 100,000, or an unreasonable amount of 6 figures? Haha. 6 figures has a VERY big rational difference...

Reako

Thanks

Honestly, I really need to email her back. I was extremely busy today at work and with a little one on the way, I had to deal with someone who was a little moody too. I will try and talk to Erica today and see what the actual cost is.

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Marley View Post
    She said she was looking at 6 figures for licensing. I'm planning on xontributing myself, and continuing this on other sites as well. I'm not asking us to do this on our own. I know its a lot, but I'm going to try. I just need to know if there are enough people willing to support the effort.
    Six figures? not gonna happen, nor is it worth it (in my opinion) to pay some company such a ridiculous amount of money to have this feature on the phone. Try and get the cash together if you can, good luck to you. If I were to spend my time raising that much money I would do it for a cause such as cancer awareness or something (and I regularly do )

Or at LEAST get something more useful developed like a palm OS or something like so running on the phone!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2008-01-24 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Does anyone else sense scam?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tondog View Post
    Does anyone else sense scam?
    No, this is completely legit, which is why I haven't taken in anything yet. I want the site admins to monitor the account and they haven't gotten back to me. I have the account set up, but I'm not taking any donations for it yet because I want this to be regulated. If there arent enough supporters i will not continue this. I also plan on contacting Gracenote to see if there is any other way to do this.

If any one knows how gracenote works, maybe we could start our own database. I really have no idea how complicated this would be butthat might be an option too.

do you really think you could get 100000 for a freaking phone app... dude honestly .... for 100000 ill buy the cd.........

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Tell you what - call me up, play 5 seconds of your song, and if I can tell you the name, then just send me the six figures! Hey, I will even do it for 5 figures!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Something just occurred to me...
    Let's say this costs $100,000 (just so we can get 6 figured on the board)
    Also, 5,000 people total contributed (picked a nice round number)
    And let's say we collect only $12,000 in total
    Who is the lucky one getting rich? Surely each of the 5,000 people will not be tracked down and given their money back?

Just a thought, not that it matters to me too much. But if we did get $100,000 together I think the person holding the cash would think twice before pumping it into this app. I am not accusing anyone. Hell, I'll put myself in this situation real quick.... yeah I would definitely use the money to pay for my college loans and vet school!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

yes, to be honest if i collected the $100,000 i would be a bit hesitant in letting in out of my site, only real solution is to donate it directly to the developer, even the developer might not be too willing to continue with the app (please dont take this the wrong way, its a generalisation)

of course then we wouldnt be able to keep track of how far we're getting etc..

i thinks it would be more effective for us to put in the time looking for somewhere cheaper/free? to base the lyric/song database on

I get this service per charge on rogers as is.....if i remember when the bad news was posted that if users really wanted it, it could be arranged at $1 per usage as licensing was riduculous cost.

I'm sure if was $1 per use and erica could convince company that XXX # people would use it if cost was put to < $0.20 it coudl be negotiated.

As for licensing and future development possibilities...it stops at what there server does now, no future just a server that takes sound and analysis them and reports results.

i wish a kid of some rich parent comes here thats willing to give out 100,000 for this small app

Thanks

alright, seriously...
    Last edited by J_Marley; 2008-01-28 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks

I read that too about the $1 per usage. Erica sent me the link. Look, if you guys want to keep bashing me for this, go complain to someone else. And the people probably getting rich would be the people at Gracenotes. If this were actually able to be sold once the SDK came out, we would have records of everyone that contributed because I was planning on using paypal. The fact that an admin hasn't posted here yet or responded to my request for monitoring the account means that I will not go forward with this unless there is some sort of accountability. I do not want distrust among the forums. I thought that if enough people were interested this might be a great thing to have for all of us. On the other side, I agree, this is an insane amount of money. I myself I love to be able to just create a database instead of do this, but quite frankly I know next to nothing about programming, just modding and even that I tend to screw up frequently . For now, if anyone could program something that would work similar to gracenotes, I wouldn't mind freeing up a few terabytes of space to host the server for everyone. I am open to IDEAS, not sarcasm and criticism. So if you have an honest opinion that isn't about how stupid you think this is, please post. And thanks to everyone that is being mature about this.
    Last edited by J_Marley; 2008-01-28 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Double post, php edit error

i think the way is via suscription and pay about .20~.30 per request.
    1 dollar is just too much.

I'd donate about $25 bucks for the cause, but i don't think we reach the final amount of money.

How are they blocking us? can we not fool their servers into thinking we are a legitimate ericsson or something?

and actually if u wanted to go thru paypal... it takes off like 30% of all money transferrd over... ya i did the math $140,000

17. The Following User Says Thank You to justarry21 For This Useful Post:

J_Marley (2008-01-29)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justarry21 View Post
    and actually if u wanted to go thru paypal... it takes off like 30% of all money transferrd over... ya i did the math $140,000
    I don't believe paypal uses the same thing for non-profit donations tho.

Thanks

Utterly ridiculous. I know your hearts in the right place J_Marley but this amount would never be achieved. A more logical approach would be to petition Apple to include this as a feature of the iPhone. This type of licensing would be a drop in the bucket for them.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

sinister (2008-02-02)

yea...i'd really like to see a working LISTEN app, it's pretty cool and useful at the same time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

On her site it says R.I.P. "Listen". I don't think she can afford it. I agree with Eurisko on this one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast