Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: User Agent Switching for Mobile Safari?

Default User Agent Switching for Mobile Safari?
    There are a handful of sites which, for some mysterious reason, refuse to be viewed if you aren't using the "right" browser. I've seen a lot of them that refuse Firefox, for example, but render just fine in this "incompatible" browser when I switch my user agent to IE. A site that I personally need for work refuses non-IE browser agents for "security" reasons.

Feel free to mull that over for a second, then keep reading when you're done laughing.

Putting aside the philosophical arguments here (HTML was written to degrade gracefully, etc.), we can and should try to get these sites to allow other browsers, but in the meantime anyone who can't spoof their User Agent is SOL.

My question is, is this possible? Has it been done on 1.1.4 or earlier? (I started with 2.0, so I know nothing about pre-2.0 firmwares except that lots of cool apps exist for them.) Is user agent stored in an editable plist?

Intuitively it doesn't seem like it would be that hard, but I know nothing about programming anything for iphone, let alone modding functionality in stock apple software.

Hi,

I agree...Is there yet any way to change the Iphone's user agent string? Sites like applicationmanager.gov refuse access to Safari users and Iphone refuses installation of other browsers. Could I change the Iphone user agent string to imitate IE, Firefox, or Opera, like a regular desktop user? If so, how?
    Thanks.

-Darcness

Hi,

I agree...Is there yet any way to change the Iphone's user agent string? Sites like applicationmanager.gov refuse access to Safari users and Iphone refuses installation of other browsers. Could I change the Iphone user agent string to imitate IE, Firefox, or Opera, like a regular desktop user? If so, how?
    Thanks.

-Darcness
    Last edited by darcness; 2008-08-30 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Another requester for a way to change the user-agent for Safari on the iPhone.

Ok I figured out how to spoof on 1.1.4 but it may require a
    bit more hacking on 2.x, though it should still be possible using the same
    method.

[MobileSafari] How to change User Agent ? - Hackint0sh

Green Apple
    Thanks

UAFaker in SBSettings works for me.