Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: (App request) Fitness - Gym - Workout tracking

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb (App request) Fitness - Gym - Workout tracking
    hi there

just joint the forum here. great place with a lot of information and apps.
    I have a iPod Touch w/1.1.2 jailbroken.

I tried the search and did not find anything...

Is anybody planning to develop a fitness/workout application? I've seen some webapps, but I am looking for a 3rd party application, where I can enter my workout (maybe also nutrition, body stats, etc) into my Touch at anytime.

Would just be great. Let me know if anybody is planning that or would be interested... I am just not a programer, so I leave that to the pro's out there.

thx

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nevenCH For This Useful Post:

kadinh (2008-05-20), Poseidon79 (2008-06-12)

I certainly second this.

Would be a great addition to have a Fitness native application for iphone/touch

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

I definitely agree with this totally would love to have an app like that!

I third this.

I think this would be awesome. Maybe even a diet/fitness thing too. Where you enter your info, and your goal or something, then it calculates a work out for you.. like jog 30 mins and do 200 situps or something. That'd be sweet.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This would be sweet.

Currently I use my calendar to track, but it sucks.

I work out on a 5-day split, so it would be nice to have something where you could track your gains (and losses) as well as working weights, etc.

For instance.

My workouts are:

Monday - cardio & chest
    Tuesday - cardio & back
    Wednesday - cardio & shoulders
    Thursday - cardio & legs
    Friday - cardio & arms

Saturday & Sunday - typically off or some short cardio or a carry over day if I miss a day during the week.

The ability to list your particular exercise and resistance (weight used) would be great.

this has got my vote,,,,

My wife is making me start working out, so, lucky for you guys, this may very well be on my list as I was kind of wanting something like this. The way I envision it working is something like you can create workout titles and assign them to days. Each workout will consist of a number of exercises and sets. In configuration, you will set this all up.

When you go to perform the workout, you will select the workout you're starting, or maybe it knows based on the day, not sure yet (have to think it through). After this, it konws what your next exercise is based on what you previously entered. You enter the weight and reps for each set. You can see the last 1 or 2 workouts at a glance (based on screen realestate). Perhaps you can tap the title and see some tracking.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of time at the moment and I suspect this app will be time consuming.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

magic_d (2008-05-15)

Thumbs up I 4th this!!
    Yes! I wanted this for a long time. Its not that I can't remember we just, simple put, gym type of people need this!! Maybe you can make one for example if you do cardio on Monday, or the first part of your gym, the app connects to your music and u can set the songs that you want to play with a timer and then when its done, u know its time for the second part!

Later,
    RaMod
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

lol..

well, try not to get overwhelmed BigBoss.

We just want the basics to start.. and an app that works and has no bugs. Then, if you have your own time, you can add more features and all of that.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

If you guys cant wait, there is a web site I use that has a web browser version for the iphone. its pretty cool, even has videos of exercises you can view on the iphone! its called gyminee

www.gyminee.com/iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    that's cool to see that the idea is supported.

I thought to share my thoughts on what I would see in a Fitness application and also tried to put some "priority" around it. But it's just my view...

I used so far www.fitsync.com. They have applications for JAVA-mobiles and PDAs (Palm, MS, etc). It's quite a nice tool, but the JAVA app only offers to synch programs and add your training data. No changes to exercise, routines are possible, neither you can add any of the other information such as vitals or so.

Exercises (must have)
    Name, Weight, Reps, Notes, nice would be a Muscle Group field as well

Routine (1)
    Name

I think this would give you the basic to schedule and track a workout. You define your exercises and then group them into one or more routines, depending on your needs (e.g. split trainings, etc).
    Each exercise in routine can have 1 or more sets and it would be nice to see what weight, reps you did last time

Cardio (1)
    Name, Time, Distance, Notes

I believe cardio belongs to an exercise so this should also part of the program. Maybe it could just be an exercise like any other weight lifting one....

Then the nice to haves:

Vitals: height, weight, measurements of arms, legs, etc

Vitals to enable you to track how your body develops

Journal: date, notes

Just to write down how you feel, and so, but this could be just somewhere in the program or so. I would use it, as even doing the same weight and reps it still does not feel always the same and making a note for the next time would sometimes be nice.

Nutrition: What you eat and when...

I just had this idea and this is a "very nice to have", as I am following a diet to get a little of that fat of my body... Here I track what, when (they say 5 meals a day) and how many calories, carbs, proteins and fat. Beside of that, for me personally I would still want to have kind of a track, as I react to some food and sometimes I just don't remember what I ate.
    But this is - I guess - a very nice to have :-)

and synching would be cool too... no that's then too much

... those my thoughts ...

I am happy to read that you will start working on a fitness app, BigBoss, but fully agree with Trent J. - a basic exercise/routine tracker to start off is way cool already.

Off for a week now to vacation... looking forward to check here what went on in that time :-)

Hey Neven-
    I’m not currently a developer but in my former life I was a middle market SE for RS6000/AS400 gear. I thought I’d check in because I too have been a long time FitSync user and can’t live without it. Best part is that it isn’t one of those cheap browser based apps that require a net connection which as I’m sure you know can be hard to come by in a gym. FitSync lets you sync and then can do everything offline – nice. Until the world is covered with Wi-Fi I really prefer being able to work offline plus it saves my battery and my airtime charges. I’m a certified trainer (ACE, NASM, FISAF) and use their Win Mobile version for my own workouts as well as for tracking all of my clients (that’s right, I took the big blue buy out package when Gerstner was making changes and made some of my own).

The FitSync Win Mobile version has been doing everything on your wish list for a few years now so I’m not sure if you’ve tried it but maybe you have. Plus it does a few more things like a multi-filter option to search exercise libraries and some vids and tracking biodata stats and a few more things like setting exercise targets for each set. One thing I would like to see is some more options on the cardio side but hey that’s minor. You are right that the Java version is for tracking only and you can’t create workouts and exercises etc. like on their Win Mobile version.

Actually I think I was one of their first customers when they launched back in 2001 and I met their founder Paul Wittrock at an IHRSA show and also some of their other people. As I recall he apparently got a patent for tracking detailed exercise data on handhelds so maybe that’s why so many apps out there don’t track to the level of FitSync. With their patent I was expecting someone to buy them out but I think the original people are still involved but don’t quote me on that.

I have seen some other apps out there that make a reference to copyright FitSync or powered by FitSync so maybe they’re licensing their patent out but that’s just a guess. I also know of a lot of big club chains that are doing a private label or OEM deal with FitSync so I wouldn’t be surprised if other developers/companies looking to get into mobile workout tracking are doing the same already.

IBM was (still is) big on licensing patents both ways so I have some background. Short answer is developers can either license a patent and build their own app from scratch or just OEM the whole thing and maybe add some of their own tweaks.

For me as a trainer FitSync is perfect and I think for any serious athlete or fitness folks it is hard to beat because they have very elaborate reports on the Web. From a business standpoint I know they do a lot of clubs and trainers so I don’t know how targeted they are for the regular market but they do have the most comprehensive workout and exercise library I have ever seen – very easily searchable – and it is entirely free.

Well that’s all I have to share so I hope this is helpful. The one thing I forgot is that I believe FitSync has already released their iPhone (and iPod Touch) version in Asia and Europe for a select group of their enterprise clients but I don’t know if it is being pushed here in the US. Anyone know? Actually, that is probably my only complaint with FitSync is that they launch all their really cool features and apps for their corporate clients in Asia first before they release to the general US and worldwide population.

Since I am a long time customer I’ll email them and get the lowdown on new releases. If I have any big news I’ll check back in.

Prescott

Default FitSync for iPhone
    Hi Neven
    Just found out that FitSync has a beta version of their iPhone app that everyone's welcome to try. Just go to Community announcements at www.fitsync.com. It works with your existing FitSYnc account or anyone can sign up for a free trial. On your iPhone, goto http://fitsync.com/iphone and login with your FitSync username and password. You can also register for a free account at their regular website, fitsync.com or rgister through the iphone. I tried it on my iPod touch and it looks great, pretty slick.

Prescott

heya neven etc.
    In case you haven't noticed FitSync is a Featured Web app and Staff pick on Apple iphone app site. You can use it offline and online so that's super sweet if network coverage in your gym is anything like mine.

Thanks

I can see this hasn't been discussed for a while. This would be an amazing app, and as far as i see, not that hard to put together.

I am after more or less what bigboss has stated above.

this would be a true godsend, so much easier than writing everything in my stupid gym book after every set.

any more progress bigboss?

would be cool if you could add pics of the muscle groups an exercise is working on... learn some anatomy at the same time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by med007 View Post
    would be cool if you could add pics of the muscle groups an exercise is working on... learn some anatomy at the same time.
    all exercises and this ish, thats another app altogether.

im after a logbook type app that you can store daily programmes/weight etc in.

Default FitSync for iPhone
    reeko,
    FitSync has the features you're lookin for. You can schedule your workouts and each exercise shows the data for the last time you did it.
    med007 - you can create your own exericses and workouts and upload your own videos/images. There's plenty in the libraries that members (looks like many are trainers) have uploaded.
    I think there's a free trial at their website www.fitsync.com

Pres

Hi I'm new here, The first thing I was planning to do was post this idea but someone beat me to it. I think this app request is worth programming and making.

This is my idea.: Basic structure for now.

You somehow config the days of the week with the iphone and this is saved in memory. Then depending on the day it autocamtically shows you what exercises you need to do and how many reps. Then the other part of the screen is the diet,eating section so it will have times of the day and it tells you what kind of food you need to eat throughout the day. Take protein shake etc. Technically anyone who is in the bodybuilding scene will know lot info on this. I know log bout exercise but not so good a programming so I can provide info on fitness.

I think the app should start simple and then can really develop there is a lot of things that can be added to it. But if you go for the lot at once it will get confusing and fail.

Boss you seem to be a good programmer and Im sure this would not be hard for you to make...

+1

Quote Originally Posted by magic_d View Post
    Hi I'm new here, The first thing I was planning to do was post this idea but someone beat me to it. I think this app request is worth programming and making.

This is my idea.: Basic structure for now.

You somehow config the days of the week with the iphone and this is saved in memory. Then depending on the day it autocamtically shows you what exercises you need to do and how many reps. Then the other part of the screen is the diet,eating section so it will have times of the day and it tells you what kind of food you need to eat throughout the day. Take protein shake etc. Technically anyone who is in the bodybuilding scene will know lot info on this. I know log bout exercise but not so good a programming so I can provide info on fitness.

I think the app should start simple and then can really develop there is a lot of things that can be added to it. But if you go for the lot at once it will get confusing and fail.

Boss you seem to be a good programmer and Im sure this would not be hard for you to make...

+1
    that's rite. someone beat you to it. By about 8 years I reckon. And that's why they got a patent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast