Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Until there's GPS this would be great

Default Until there's GPS this would be great
    I was thinking today how much better google maps could be if it had a "where am I" feature that would put a pin in the map where you are, or at least close enough that you could find the intersection your at. Navizon doesn't get very close at all.

I admitadly don't know how all this stuff would work, but everyone talks of battery drain, a "where am I" app would only refresh cooridinants when you opened it up or refreshed it.

Is it possible?

locate me in 1.1.3 !

Take a look at http://www.tapandgo.com. This web app allows you to add your current location to Google Maps. It's manual, but works well. Easy to use.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a feature that is already available in google maps applications that are not on the iphone exclusively. This is because apple has not allowed third party apps. 1.1.3 (as stated above) will introduce this feature you speak of, but I am sure that with third party apps being opened to the iphone there will be more features and apps coming onto the phone for free that were once only available on other smart phones like the blackberry. At the moment I find blackberry to be superior (due to these apps) but once they are available on the iphone, iphone will win my heart hands down.

WAIT FOR 1.1.3!! or wait till next month there is gonna be a full GPS function!!!
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be great if somebody could modify the Navizon app and also the Google Maps app so that you could get an "HAWK EYE" view after you input your destination to get a route from one place to another and then the Navizon app should track your progress always looking towards the rest of your route.

I dont know if this has already been suggested but it would be great if both apps were modified to work together rather than using a single app which is obviously too difficult at the moment because its still not been made.

Hope this prompts somebody to get cracking on it.

Cheers.

Thanks

No, what would be cool if someone could get a 15 bluetooth GPS reciever to work with the iphone (if they dont connect together already??) and someone to program a "TomTom" app. My friend has a sony ericsson phone with it on, nokias can get it to. It must be possible?? Surely better than google maps as it also talks to you (huge perk of sat nav) or someone could mod google maps to work with a bluetooth GPS reciever and verbally give you directions.

This must be available already surely? This is so friggin obvious ......

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    No, what would be cool if someone could get a 15 bluetooth GPS reciever to work with the iphone (if they dont connect together already??) and someone to program a "TomTom" app. My friend has a sony ericsson phone with it on, nokias can get it to. It must be possible?? Surely better than google maps as it also talks to you (huge perk of sat nav) or someone could mod google maps to work with a bluetooth GPS reciever and verbally give you directions.

This must be available already surely? This is so friggin obvious ......
    Someone did start to develop a iPhone GPS solution but Apple closed them down - I pre-ordered one and recently they returned my deposit (full device costs) with an explaination that they were now working directly with Apple - as we see nothing from Apple one can only assume Apple brought them out

i read that we cant use bluetooth gps units as apple didnt finish the bluetooth stack.
    Whatever that means.

Thanks

It seems that there are so many apps that are so simple to create or at least seem to be be simple applications that Apple have not already created for the iPhone which they could exploit highly.

one is the Listen app which was discontinued by Erica Sadun and if Apple were to create this they could charge a nominal fee for iPhone users to use the app and also they have music distribution licenses and the music database already so it makes sense.

another is obviously the GPS app using a toned down interface maybe designed by Tom Tom themselves so if they put a small charge on it then they would make revenue without even producing actual hardware and a fully functional GPS route application for the iPhone would be something that I think any iPhone owner who also drives a car would want.

Hopefully they will start producing some useful apps soon that are free to use.

Thanks

Indeed, it seems that a gps reciever cannot be picked up by bluetooth and must instead be plugged into the bottom (serial? you know the connection i mean)

However, i also believe that this is because it is wirtten in the firmware that the bluetooth chip will ignore any GPS device that uses 'SPP' (whatever that is)

Surely, if this is only a firmware issue then this can be overcome?

And also, it is hard to defend statements such as "the iphone is the best phone out right now" or "my iphone is so much better than your new w960i" when all the rivalling phones have TomTom available to them?!?!?!?!

As far as im aware, (please correct me if im wrong), a bluetooth chip is a bluetooth chip. It must be possible to re-write the firmware so the bluetooth chip can connect to a gps reciever.

IF NOT

It must be possible to use a gps reciever that plugs into the serial plug in the base of the iphone and create / re-write a TomTom package which actively works with the iphone.
    OR
    Mod google maps so that it activley works with the gps reciever to give your location on the map and give voice commands.

This seems like such an obvious app to me that would be so useful seeing as google maps is, lets be honest, rubbish for navigation, especially when your driving. Who wants to constantly press next and back to make sure your on the right route etc!

If someone can put the effort in for 'iFartz', can they please please please take a serious look at this app???

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    OR
    Mod google maps so that it activley works with the gps reciever to give your location on the map and give voice commands.
    someone has started doing just that. (This might be old news to people..)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8OxHeNKfY"]YouTube - GPS on the Iphone[/ame]

Thanks

Ok guys check this one out, the future is looking very nice indeed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6bC1MIhn44"]YouTube - CeBIT 2008: iGO 8 iPhone edition[/ame]

cant wait when that happens..

thats awesome
    iPhone 8G
    1.1.4 Unlocked on Rogers (ZiPhone)
    Jailbroken
    Windows XP + Mac OS X Leopard

Thanks

i have seen the iGo on the iphone before, and i believe it is a fake?? i remember looking it up a couple weeks back the whole sat nav thing and that one turned out to be a fake, however cool it looks. i hope im wrong though.
    the first one seems to have the foundations laid out, just provides a basic locate me for now by the looks of it.

any programmers out there that wanna make this app for the iphone as it is much needed and would be much used. my friend has just downloaded and installed TomTom on his sony ericsson and i have friends with TomTom on their nokias, yet my quadruple the price state of the art iphone has "locate me". lol