Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MySQL & SMS tracker?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default MySQL & SMS tracker?
    Does anyone know if there is a way to install MySQL on the iPhone? I would like to create some database's and use PHP to interface with it.

Also does anyone know if there is an app that will count your SMS messages as they come in and out to let you know when you are getting close to your messages limit? A billing service date would be great to so the app could auto reset to 0 at the beginning of each bill.

Kurt

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibmkillr View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way to install MySQL on the iPhone?
    Why would you want mySQL on it? iPhone already has SQLite, since all its internal databases are SQLite databases, so you could just use that.

PHP on iPhone? Sounds like you're desiging web applications and not iPhone native apps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrfin View Post
    Why would you want mySQL on it? iPhone already has SQLite, since all its internal databases are SQLite databases, so you could just use that.

PHP on iPhone? Sounds like you're desiging web applications and not iPhone native apps.
    Since iPhone also uses Apache developing web apps is not a problem. I use it myself to download websites and run them natively on the phone.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, so I have Apache installed and PHP, in theory I should be able to install really any PHP script on my iphone now and run it from localhost right? Would PHPAdmin be able to interact with SQLite to create my own databases?

a mysql server would be really, really nice. You could install Apache PHP and mediawiki and download the wikipedia database to your ipod. You would have your very own offline wikipedia on your iphone/itouch.

For iPhone users this might seem not very interesting, but I bet iTouch users want this badly
    In fact, I do.

Thanks

That's something I miss. There is a 1GB wikipedia for the Palm which is read by a program called Tomeraider. I wish it could be reformatted, maybe put in a weDict format.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    That's something I miss. There is a 1GB wikipedia for the Palm which is read by a program called Tomeraider. I wish it could be reformatted, maybe put in a weDict format.
    I'm really interested on this topic too. I've developed php apps using mysql for the db. I'm curious to start getting things like this on the iphone. Just for fun I'm trying to get galler2 running of the phone. Or even a forum would be fun.

I know, theres no real practical reason atm to do this, but this is something I'm curious. For example, how would you create a new sqllite db on the phone. How would you make gallery talk to that DB?

Any helps appriciated

Default Here's how you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkillr View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way to install MySQL on the iPhone? I would like to create some database's and use PHP to interface with it.

Kurt
    Yep sure do. I set it up on my iPhone last week. Have been hacking up some WebApps to see what you can do with php on the iPhone. I don't have an intel mac so cant use the SDK, and know php alot better than objective C.

I just put up a blog explaining how I did it. The info was already on the net. I just had to do some intense googling to find it, so I compiled it all together in a how-to.

iAMPS

Basically you have to use a php-cgi that has been compiled with mysql for the iPhone, and mysql that has also been compiled for the iPhone, which I found at wickedpsyched. I also moved some stuff around so your don't use up the 300mb root partition. Stuck most of it in /var instead.

I wrote a little web app that runs on the iPhone so I can now stream mp3s from the iPhone to my PC, which is pretty cool