Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Repeating SMS and email Alerts - (LIKE PHONEALARM for WM!)

Default Repeating SMS and email Alerts - (LIKE PHONEALARM for WM!)
    We NEED ability to repeat alarms for SMS (Text Messages) and other phone services.

Custom notification sounds depending on subject or number would be nice as well. Without this feature the iPhone cannot be used for my business (We receive SMS notifications of network outages.)

Take a look at PhoneAlarm for Windows Mobile (pocketMax Software - Pocket PC Software & development).

If you have 1.1.4 JB you can install Intelliscreen which gives you vibrate and audible alerts every 5 minutes after a missed text, call or e-mail and you can choose whether any of these are active or not.

2.0 and there is nothing I have found that does this in app store, and it seem Apple didn't think it was useful enough to build into the firmware (or just couldn't be bothered)
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks

I don't really see the need for repeat alarms for sms and emails. I mean, if you're that far away from your phone that you can't open sms when they arrrive, or at least check it occasionally then an alarm isn't gonna make much difference
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    I don't really see the need for repeat alarms for sms and emails. I mean, if you're that far away from your phone that you can't open sms when they arrrive, or at least check it occasionally then an alarm isn't gonna make much difference
    Its not about getting the message "can you pick up more milk"... It's about being sure you get the message that the office network or service is down at 3am, and someone needs to be dispatched immediately. One little chip in the middle of the night just doesn't do it for me. Also having to continually look at the phone all day to be sure I didn't miss an important SMS is not acceptable. I bet you would think this is VERY important if you were one of our customers and you showed up to work without your Internet access. I guess I would tell you, sorry the iphone doesn't repeat alerts and we missed that one last night.

The problem with the iPhone is there is no other indication that you missed a call, voicemail waiting, or text message unless you here the ONE reminder or you constantly look. I leave the living room for 10 seconds to grab a drink, and I just missed that SMS telling me the DS3 is down. Oh well, maybe our customers will start calling and remind me there is a problem.

Once the iPhone 3G is jailbroken, I guess we can try Caterpiller/Kate, but would rather this be a "real" application available by Apple or the App store.

I agree with Interstink - it is extremely important to have alerts on missed SMS and phone calls - that is a vital part of any phone and depending on the type of use you require it is a necessity. I really cannot under how a company can make a phone without this feature. If this was a paid application I would definitely even purchase it as it is vital and not appropriate to keep checking the iphone.

Thanks

then why bother posting in this thread?...

there is already a program called SMSnotify http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...brates-10.html

or use intelliscreen's alert option (but it's not a free program after the 10 day trial) http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...-steriods.html

This is an absolutely necessary feature. We use SMS messages as pager alerts at my job as well. We must not miss these messages. They need to wake us up at night, or catch our attention if we walked away from the phone for 30 seconds and it came in during that time.

Even just the ability to use custom ring-tones would have been useful, but I guess Apple didn't see the need. They made such a beautiful device and skimped on the sound-effect options!!

I bought my iPhone without realizing just how broken this feature was. We need an app that will trap SMS events and have a repeating customizable alarm!

Quote Originally Posted by NecroBones View Post
    This is an absolutely necessary feature. We use SMS messages as pager alerts at my job as well. We must not miss these messages. They need to wake us up at night, or catch our attention if we walked away from the phone for 30 seconds and it came in during that time.
    That's what Im saying... I would sugest using Apple's FeedBack link to submit this as well. Maybe if enough end users report this as being a real "deal-breaker" we would see an OEM solution rather then a 3rd party "hack" for jailbroken iPhones ONLY.

I went ahead and sent feedback. Here's what I wrote:

I work in the IT industry, and like many professionals, at my job we use SMS messaging as a pager service to receive notifications when there are network outages, servers down, etc. We need to be able to receive these messages and know that they will wake us up at night or get our attention if we have been out of earshot of the phone when the message came in.

This is a necessary feature-- to have repeating and customizable alerts, other than the short quiet chirps that the phone comes equipped with. For many, this is a deal breaker. I bought my iPhone without realizing just how crippled the SMS alert options were, and may have severe difficulty at my job as a result. My colleagues may avoid it altogether and get contracts with other providers because of this one feature.

I used to use a pocket-PC with Windows Mobile, and while it was only mildly more customizable, a 3rd-party application called PhoneAlarm was available from PocketMax that gave us this flexibility. It would allow you to choose a customized sound effect, set how many times to repeat it (endlessly if you wanted), and at what intervals. So you could have it chirp 3 times every 5 minutes, for example. Or just continuously repeat endlessly (my favorite) until you check the messages.

Now that the phone has Exchange support, this is really the only remaining feature that is missing that would allow the iPhone to be a world-class phone for business.

Please help out those of us in the IT industry (not to mention medical or any other field requiring timely responses to important messages). Give us a much more robust alert system!

Did the same... But I dont think they are working on anything yet. I posted feedback when the first iPhone came out as well.

Still waiting for intelliscreen to update for v2.0 - Need this ASAP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by interstink View Post
    Its not about getting the message "can you pick up more milk"... It's about being sure you get the message that the office network or service is down at 3am, and someone needs to be dispatched immediately. One little chip in the middle of the night just doesn't do it for me. Also having to continually look at the phone all day to be sure I didn't miss an important SMS is not acceptable. I bet you would think this is VERY important if you were one of our customers and you showed up to work without your Internet access. I guess I would tell you, sorry the iphone doesn't repeat alerts and we missed that one last night.

The problem with the iPhone is there is no other indication that you missed a call, voicemail waiting, or text message unless you here the ONE reminder or you constantly look. I leave the living room for 10 seconds to grab a drink, and I just missed that SMS telling me the DS3 is down. Oh well, maybe our customers will start calling and remind me there is a problem.

Once the iPhone 3G is jailbroken, I guess we can try Caterpiller/Kate, but would rather this be a "real" application available by Apple or the App store.
    I would tell them "Sorry, I am using a phone that is not suitable for the job i want it do to, but this one looks a bit fancier than all the others so that's why i'm using it!"

What's more important? Having a nice phone, or having a phone that's suitable for your work?

If it's 'not acceptable' then use something else
    To live, you have to lie

I would tell them "Sorry, I am using a phone that is not suitable for the job i want it do to, but this one looks a bit fancier than all the others so that's why i'm using it!"

What's more important? Having a nice phone, or having a phone that's suitable for your work?

If it's 'not acceptable' then use something else
    That's obvious... I understand there are options and I am forced to use them for now.

Those of us who require this feature were well aware the iPhone had this limitation since day one - last year. We are just surprised it has yet been addressed by Apple. At least there is 3rd party Dev for JAILBROKEN iPhones, but it would be nice if this was a feature and not a hack.

The more we request a feature, the better chance it will appear. Its all about demand.

Thumbs up YES! REPEAT ALARMS needed NOW!
    Finally, a forum that speaks to my heart! I still carry a clunky PAGER along with my beautiful iPhone 3G just so I don't miss an emergency message like interstink.

I thought the Apple Application Store would have this covered. But no....
    I too wrote Apple with a recommendation and agree that with the earlier comment there is strength in numbers: first responders, medical professionals, etc. put your two cents in so someone will hear our pain!

Even the most basic repeat alarm for an unanswered call would be enough. Better yet would be a program that let you selectively choose ahead of time WHICH phone numbers, email addresses, or whatever would elicit a "beep" or repeat alarm.

Hmmm... Seems Apple may be listening! Do you think this means repeating alerts?

"According to numerous tipsters this .1 release includes the beginnings of the iPhone notification services as well as some improvements in the location awareness area."
    iPhone OS 2.1 and SDK 2.1 - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

I hope you are right. Let's all keep an eye out for Apple or 3rd parties developing an application to meet the need for repeating alerts. If we use this forum to keep up to date, we can all be "early adopters."

Can IntelliScreen be installed on firmware v2.0 that has been jailbroke? I can't find it in App Store or Cydia?

Any ideas?
    Mark

BTW - I downloaded SMSNotify a while back and it does not not vibrate to let you know that you have an SMS that you have not seen - all I get is a little balloon on the taskbar on the top so I see that there is a SMS message without unlocking my phone each time but no vibrating notification.

Kally: SMSNotify does vibrate and play sound, you are thinking of TaskBar Notifier, BUT the problem with SMSNotify is it can NOT wake up the device so if an SMS is missed for more then the typical 5 minute deep suspend period, it will NOT wake up again to tell you. (if you read the forum article there are some tricks but its NOT great)

For others NOT on firmware 2.0, iLog, Kate, Intelliscreen all have wakeup SMS/email/phone call notification systems but they all want money.

AppStore will NOT have this in the near future because it requires a background daemon running which AppStore does NOT allow.

Finally, as for the Apple Notification Service (via 2.1), this is NOT for waking up the device to tell you you have a SMS. Basically this service allows a server that a developer makes to contact a specific phone to give it a message. Which means your server would have to know that you got a SMS/eMail/Phone call. (at least from the dev-info I have read)

IvanRaide thanks for the info. You mention "AppStore will NOT have this in the near future because it requires a background daemon running which AppStore does NOT allow."

If that is the case, do you think there is any hope that Apple will, themselves, update the iPhone software to include this, ala interstink's comment:

"According to numerous tipsters this .1 release includes the beginnings of the iPhone notification services as well as some improvements in the location awareness area."

Finally, excuse my ignorance but, besides cost, what are the risks of using programs like 2.0, iLog, Kate, Intelliscreen?

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast