Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Repeating SMS and email Alerts - (LIKE PHONEALARM for WM!)

Finally, excuse my ignorance but, besides cost, what are the risks of using programs like 2.0, iLog, Kate, Intelliscreen?
    Well Kate and Intelliscreen hook pretty early in the boot process so when they have gone wrong, people have had to restore their phones, that would be the only real risk, (and the risk to your wallet) I used both Kate and Intelliscreen and though I stuck with it, I did have a couple of infinite reboot scenario's .... kinda buggy apps, and given there is no 'safe mode' on the iphone they can be deadly ... that being said if you have SSH turned on on reboot you can even get around these problems.

Apple will, themselves, update the iPhone software to include this ala interstink's comment:
    Well I definitely don't think the notification service will fix this since the server-notifier will not know about your sms/phonecalls, (though if the server was your exchange server, it MIGHT know you have an email, but definitely NOT the scope-design apple is thinking of.

I'm kinda shocked Apple didn't include this and hasn't included it in updates, but when you think about it, WM also needed apps like PA to get similar functionality, (including obvious things like phone scheduled profiles), so maybe Apple and MS are just not experienced enough in the phone market to release what people need. But given how few iLog/Kate/Intelliscreen types apps there are, maybe a lot of people just don't need this feature, (though I KNOW I do!)

Quote Originally Posted by IvanRaide View Post
    Finally, as for the Apple Notification Service (via 2.1), this is NOT for waking up the device to tell you you have a SMS. Basically this service allows a server that a developer makes to contact a specific phone to give it a message. Which means your server would have to know that you got a SMS/eMail/Phone call. (at least from the dev-info I have read)
    You are absolutly right - five minutes after my post I realized what "NOTIFICATION" meant to apple.

I think they will be using this for iChat for the iPhone and other applications that need notify during sleep.

Some questions:
    1. Do you think it's worth holding out for Apple or Apple apps to address this problem? (I've scheduled the cancellation of my pager and need to do something soon).

2. Do the fixes you have described affect the warranty on the iPhone 3G or the ability to get updates? (no kidding, what is jail break, and how does it affect the phone)?

3. Do you have the web address for any of these software solutions? What is the price range for these fixes? Is there one you recommend most?

I did have a couple of infinite reboot scenario's .... kinda buggy apps, and given there is no 'safe mode' on the iphone they can be deadly ... that being said if you have SSH turned on on reboot you can even get around these problems.
    IvanRaide, your expertise is way beyond mine. I don't have a clue what you are saying here, especially the "SSH turned on" part. Could you indulge me and answer like you are talking to a kindergardener?

5. I just can't believe there aren't LOTS of people who need (or could use) a repeat alarm feature. Without it, I realize I did make a bad purchase.

drshrinkwrap: If you have bought a 3G then I don't believe there is any solution for you except SMSNotify. At least for now, there is no firmware 2.0 compatible version of iLog, Kate, Intelliscreen. If its possible, you could get a 2G iPhone and run 1.1.4 that could run those apps, (or keep the pager?)

As for the "tricks" to SMSNotify...

1} Of course you would need to jailbreak

2} once you had SMSNotify installed, (and that is not easy since its not on Cydia at this point), you would have to try to trick it into waking up. Basically what I used to do was have my email poll interval set for 15 minutes. Since it takes some time for the device to enter low power, establish connectivity and query a exchange server for mail, smsnotify would usually get enough time to squeeze in a beep/vibrate. This did not always work but usually you would get a small reminder within 2 intervals (1/2 hour). You could decrease the poll interval but that was bad on battery so 15 was a happy medium. NOW, all of that might not work because of push, (ideally it will ONLY wake up on new email so you might not get a notification for hours/days/etc, (depends how much spam you get )

...Could you indulge me and answer like you are talking to a kindergardener? ...
    Its pretty easy, once you have SSH running, go on Cydia and install BossPrefs. In its option there is an option to have SSH run on reboot. If SSH is on and the device goes into a funk there is a file you can edit, (I think its com.apple.Springboard, but if you hit the problem you can search for the steps, (I think they might be here actually)

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...wont-boot.html

glad to have found this thread as I'm still running 1.1.2 for a few reasons...the largest being that I got kate to work, and haven't wanted to do anything since.

Now with 2.0 out, I really want to upgrade, but I absolutely refuse to do so until I can get some form of notification when I miss a call or sms. Unlike some of you its not job-critical for me (although I do use my cell constantly as a business phone when I am out of office), but I can't count the number of times I missed something on the phone BEFORE Kate...not to mention its NOT a solution to have to take a look at the phone to see if something got missed just because I went to the washroom and left the phone in my office, or walk away from the phone for 30 seconds.

Apple, if your reading any of this, release an app (I'm sure you guys can do daemons even if third parties are not allowed)...I'd be willing to pay without a second thought. Considering I don't have much faith in Apple on this one (after x number of updates)...hopefully someone in the scene can make a simple (hopefully free one) that works in 2.0 even when the phone is asleep (unlike smsnotify as I don't think most of us can rely on a task that might wake when email is checked).

SMSNotify doesnt do the trick for those of us who want an audible notification. Or does it BEEP? I dont feel my vibrating phone will wake me up at 3am. Im going to try the manual install and see...

Change the Shell a bit to play audio - not working yet...

playaudio=/usr/bin/playaudio
    audiofile=/usr/bin/smsnotify/sms-Alarm.aiff

$playaudio $audiofile &

Quote Originally Posted by interstink View Post
    SMSNotify doesnt do the trick for those of us who want an audible notification. Or does it BEEP? I dont feel my vibrating phone will wake me up at 3am. Im going to try the manual install and see...

Change the Shell a bit to play audio - not working yet...

playaudio=/usr/bin/playaudio
    audiofile=/usr/bin/smsnotify/sms-Alarm.aiff

&
    I've done everything I know how and am still unable to get SMSnotify to work at all with iPhone 3G. Yes... Made all changes to point to the new SMS.db location etc. Any ideas?

And yes... still waiting for KATE or Intelliscreen - they must be having issues dev. for 2.0 - would expect updates released already!
    Last edited by interstink; 2008-07-31 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I decided to install SMSNotify on 2.0 to see what was what, and it definately DOESN'T work out of the box, but is close.

1} PlayAudio doesn't seem to work anymore and neither does vibrate.
    2} but if you install the new Erica utilities playaudio has changed to play, and using 'play' works.
    3} scw_missedcalls doesn't seem to work in 2.0 either
    4} I think my current problem is that the bash shell is not reading the IF statement properly because the original sql query returns the properly value of 1. (here is my script)

#!/bin/sh
    smsnpath=/usr/local/smsnotify
    sql=$smsnpath/sqlite3
    playaudio=$smsnpath/play
    audiofile=$smsnpath/alarm.aiff

while test 1
    do
    n=`$sql /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db 'select count(*) from message where flags=0'`;
    if [ "$n" -gt 0 ]
    then
    $playaudio $audiofile &
    fi
    sleep 30
    done

Question: smsnpath=/usr/local/smsnotify

Seems the install shows it in smsnpath=/usr/bin/smsnotify

Is this a symbolic link or do I have to create a LOCAL directory? I dont have a usr/local on my iphone that I can see...

BTW... On a iPhone 3G
    Last edited by interstink; 2008-07-31 at 04:31 PM.

the original SMSNotify had it in usr/local/smsnotify, but I believe the new one is in /usr/bin/smsnotify ...

I moved it to /usr/local just because there is a bunch of files in /usr/bin, but if you have the stuff in the bin location that is fine. (You don't need a symbolic link).

If you want to change the daemon location convert (plutil) the plist and change the path (pretty straight-noforward)

I STILL can't get the condition to run though, I feel like I'm retarded or something. I believe the bash statement is right, does Cydia run some type of 'different' bash shell. I looked at the firmware.sh as an example and the condition statements seem similar. Has anyone gotten this to work in 2.0?

I haven't been able to get this to work at all. And I have double checked everything.

If I get it work I would love to do the following:
    Hardcoded "SENDER" checking in the shell script to play different sounds based on sms sender.

Example:

If
    SMS_Sender = 5551212
    Play_Audio1
    Else
    Play_DefaultAudio

etc....

I don't know what the scheme for the db is, but I'm sure it probably has a column for number/sender etc, so that should be do-able.

Have you been able to play the sound? You can remove the condition around the playaudio command to make sure that is working?

Also you should run a ps -ax to make sure that smsnotify is being auto-launched by the daemon? Once you make any changes to the file you have to kill that pid and then the daemon will relaunch the new one

Have you been able to play the sound? ....
    Also you should run a ps -ax to make sure that smsnotify is being auto-launched by the daemon? ...
    NO... NO SOUND AT ALL. Maybe its my audio file. It's an .aiff file, but will try one of the default files the iPhone has.

And YES, verified its running and being auto-launched.

My 'play' command is working. You might want to try alarm.aiff (from the iphone) (thats the one I'm using) as a test.

Also, ssh into that dir and run the command locally (like './play alarm.aiff) and see if play works, that SHOULD work. (remember to use the new PLAY not the old playaudio)

I have my sound working, just NOT the condition.

I got it to WORK, FINALLY!

Just like playaudio, sqlite3 doesn't work either. You need to use Erica's NEW sqlite3. I thought I had already tested that, but that was it!!

So, does anyone know if they have build a new 'vibrate' function?
    Last edited by IvanRaide; 2008-07-31 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hmmm.. Play is not working.

iPhone:/usr/bin/smsnotify root# ./play alarm.aiff
    Killed

Play and the alarm.aiff files are in this directory.
    Last edited by interstink; 2008-07-31 at 07:55 PM.

'killed' is what I would get when I was running playaudio? You have the new Erica Utilities? If you run the 'play' in bin does it give you a 'killed'?

You have the permissions on 'play' set (755 and root:wheel, etc)? Not sure if its needed, but I set execute permission on alarm.aiff as well?

'killed' is what I would get when I was running playaudio? You have the new Erica Utilities? If you run the 'play' in bin does it give you a 'killed'?

You have the permissions on 'play' set (755 and root:wheel, etc)? Not sure if its needed, but I set execute permission on alarm.aiff as well?
    I did install the latest Erica's Util. With the PLAY. I think I have Beta 11 now.

Yes permissions are set on ALL files.

UPDATE: GOT IT WORKING!!! Decided to REinstall sqlite and Erica's using Cydia.

Now... I found the sms.db database structure. Can you point me in the right direction for the select to get the number then see if its equal to 5551515

TABLE message
    ROWID (INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT)
    Auto-incrementing field/counter

address (TEXT)
    International-formatted foreign address
    (18005551212)

date (INTEGER)
    OSX-epoch based datetime, convertable via date -r
    (1187200801)

text (TEXT)
    Content of text message
    (This is the text message)

flags (INTEGER)
    Flags controlling the type of record
    2 - Message sent from address to iPhone
    3 - Message sent from iPhone to address
    129 - Message log erased from iPhone but addressee still in SMS index

replace (INTEGER)
    Unknown, always 0 in my case

svc_center (TEXT)
    service center, seems null in my case
    Last edited by interstink; 2008-07-31 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default How to do alerts by number.
    Hi all, I'm fighting this problem with OS 2.0 too.

It's easy to get the number out of the sms table so that you can selectively alert for particular senders. Change the command to:

sqlite3 /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db 'select count(*) from message where flags=0 and address="xyz"'

where xyz is your number. For me, it's formatted as +447(...). You can find the number like so:

sqlite3 /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db 'select address from message where text like "%TEST PHRASE%";'

Replace 'TEST PHRASE' with a word that you've put into a test SMS message. You'll get a list of numbers with that word. Select the one you'll be getting your important messages from and plug it in as xyz above.

Further, while there doesn't appear to be a vibrate utility yet, the Erica Utilities 'play' command works fine for sounds. It's installable through Cydia, just like sqlite3. This is what I'm using:

play /private/var/stash/Ringtones.4JvOkg/Alarm.m4r &
    sleep 3
    kill $!

This will play the 'alarm' sound for 3 seconds.

All of this works fine. The problem that I haven't solved yet is that I can't find a way to make the phone either not sleep or wake up at a given time. Even with launchd running the daemon properly, the phone will still sleep and that's that. I've tried it with launchd running a script that loops, simply running that looping script, and by having launchd run a script that checks once and exits. Nothing will keep the phone awake.

I've done a lot of searching and have not found a way to make the phone stay awake--even people doing apps at the UI level are having trouble. You can, if you're diligent about turning the phone off, turn off auto-locking any any number of previously mentioned methods will work, using the stuff I've just posted. But that's no fun!

I did it like this:

noc=`$sql /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db 'select address from message where address=5551515'`;
    if [ "$noc" = 5551515 ]
    then
    $playaudio $NOCaudiofile &

Seems to work! But then you have to delete the message to get the audio to stop, so I need to add the count in there too.

OK... DONE for now... With CUSTOM Alerts!

This script will check to see if you get a match (51511212 is the number im matching in sample) and then repeat every 10 seconds. Nice for people monitoring servers. If you get a NEW text message thats NOT a match then it will simple play your default SMS sound in settings | sounds on the iPhone.

I left the "Count" so it will stop alerting when you view the Text Message, otherwise it continues to alert until you delete the message. Looks like I may expand this a bit more, but for now I have repeating NOC (Network Operations Center alerts).

#!/bin/sh
    smsnpath=/usr/bin/smsnotify
    sql=$smsnpath/sqlite3
    playaudio=$smsnpath/play
    nocaudiofile=$smsnpath/NOCalarm.m4a

while test 1
    do
    n=`$sql /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db 'select count(*) from message where flags=0'`;
    noc=`$sql /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db 'select address from message where address=5151212'`;
    if [ "$n" -gt 0 ] && [ "$noc" = 51511212 ]
    then
    $playaudio $nocaudiofile &
    fi
    sleep 10
    done

Better ways of doing this? Please share...

Quote Originally Posted by bhuga View Post

...The problem that I haven't solved yet is that I can't find a way to make the phone either not sleep or wake up at a given time. Even with launchd running the daemon properly, the phone will still sleep and that's that. I've tried it with launchd running a script that loops, simply running that looping script, and by having launchd run a script that checks once and exits. Nothing will keep the phone awake.

I've done a lot of searching and have not found a way to make the phone stay awake--even people doing apps at the UI level are having trouble. You can, if you're diligent about turning the phone off, turn off auto-locking any any number of previously mentioned methods will work, using the stuff I've just posted. But that's no fun!
    Seems the receipt of an SMS trigers the phone out of "deep" sleep and my repeat alarms are working. Had my phone sleeping over ten minutes and send a test, seemed to work fine.
    Last edited by interstink; 2008-08-01 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I had an SMS that I left unread and let the phone enter deep sleep. Even though i have push email on, the phone would periodically enter a lighter sleep, enough for SMSNofity to ping once or twice. The interval was around 1/2 hour but sometimes like 10 minutes, so something wakes it up a bit. I think it might be the iMAP idle timeout/heartbeat that wakes the device, but basically, this will eventually wake up a little to give some type of continuing notification system, (though NOT a great one)

Erica's new tools include something called 'notificationWatcher', which watches for standard or Core telephone notifications, but I'm not entirely clear on how you would use it?

I would also like some documentation for the watcher app.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast