Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chargin IS supported with this accessory.

iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chargin IS supported with this accessory.
    Once the 3G's been jailbroken would someone PLEASE disable this stupid charging restriction?! I'm pretty sure there is NO reason for the limit and it's probably coded in the OS somewhere. Please please?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it's been speculated that it's because of voltage restrictions....in that case, you WOULD want it disabled but yes this restriction is reeeeeeally frustrating.

Thanks

Even if that's so it's just annoying that Apple would do this. After all the hiccups with activation, the crazy vice-grip on activation, and now this I'm starting to feel really angry and upset with Apple as a company.

Besides, could the electronics have changed that much between the 2.5G and 3G? I used my old one with my car dock all the time.

The old iPhone had support for the now "legacy" circuitry which supported firewire charging. Most chargers took advantage of firewire charging for some unknown reason. Firewire has been abandoned in the new one most likely because no one actually buys the separate cord just to charge it, they most likely didn't do it to screw over accessory makers

Thanks

If it isn't dangerous though why remove it?

Cost wise its cheaper because the newer iPods also dont support firewire and thus they no longer have to manufacture a separate connector for the iPhone.

Thanks

Do you mean connector internally? Because Apple stopped making Firewire chargers for anything with the iPod Video. And if it is internal something is still there anyway since the phone is smart enough to realize what it's connected to no?

No I mean the physical connection. They now have some of the pins connected to nothing. The new connector I believe is 9V while firewire requires 12V which is what cars use for their cigarette lighter thus why most companies rather than changing the voltage just used firewire. I suppose you could attempt to create an adapter that has another 30 pin connector but instead has the firewire pins(19,20,29,30) going to the iPhones USB power pins(1,23, possibly 18)