Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Request: Wep Cracker for Iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canadaFone View Post
    its not a question of if its doable or not, its a question of how hard it would be. All wifi chipsets are capable of monitoring traffic, its just a matter of whether or not the current driver supports it. If someone wanted this badly enough there's nothing stopping them from grabbing an opensource driver for whatever the wifi chipset is and replacing the existing apple driver. Then it suddenly becomes much easier to get airodump working properly.

Not every chipset maker releases opensource drivers. Matter fact, I can't even find a way to put an Intel integrated wifi chipset into monitor mode on a laptop, and i've tried EVERYTHING and concluded it was impossible. I really wish this were possible for the iphone now, but I highly doubt this will ever come to fruition.

Green Apple
    Thanks

First things first.

The ipod and iphones driver for the wifi DOES NOT SUPPORT PERMICIOUSE/MONITOR MODE. the driver was wrote to receive packets destined for itself and itself ONLY.

this means that there is no possible way of collecting other peoples encrypted packets out of the air.

to make this possible one would have to write a new driver for the ipods wifi (this had to be done for the airport extream) which is an immensely difficult task which would most likely require reverse engineering.

asides from that, if you could collect packets then it would be smart to dump/save the packets (or just the IVs) then to crack the dump on a computer at home.

I am encountering a permissions problem. I have everything set to 755 (and I even tried 777) but I still get a return that permissions were denied by SH

Thanks

kismac for the iphone would rock lol

What app are you referring to? Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

if all else fails then use 777, 777 means anyone can do anything with the file.

ha its funny how stuff people think cant happen actually do happen =P

so no reports still if it can be done or not? I live in south africa and unfortunatly for us we pay huge amounts of cash for Internet with a 1gig cap... For us to crack wifi and to be online and to download will make our lives better so any news if thus can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by HexusOdy View Post
    While it may be technically possible from a software point of view I can't see it being possible with the iPhones Hardware. It may be slick with simple apps but doing the number crunching required to crack any WEP password would likely deplete a full battery before it could complete.
    Not sure where people are coming from on this, but for anyone else stumbling across this thread, let me set the record straight.

WEP can be cracked with 40,000 captured packets, not one million as a previous poster stated (this used to be the case several years ago, but times have changed). With packet injection these can be obtained in under five minutes. Subsequently cracking these packets to obtain the wep using the PTW algorithm published October 07 takes under 60 seconds on a dual core 1.83 ghz intel. Whatever the processing speed of the ipod touch/iphone, I'm sure it can handel this before it's battery dies.

The only limitation comes from what some people have already pointed out, the driver. There's no way Apple built in monitor mode support into their drivers. They had no reason to put in that extra effort and pay their devs for it. What's going to be required is likely something similar to what was done with the broadcom 43xx series cards, where specifications for the hardware were not available, but because the cards were pretty common (it's the standard dell wireless) people decided to reverse engineer them for linux, then patches were made available to patch in monitor mode support. That's what we need for the ipod touch and iphone. Short of that wep cracking will never be a possibility. If these drivers can be created though, then all that remains is to port the aircrack suit over to the ipod OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Trist06 View Post
    First things first.

The ipod and iphones driver for the wifi DOES NOT SUPPORT PERMICIOUSE/MONITOR MODE. the driver was wrote to receive packets destined for itself and itself ONLY.

this means that there is no possible way of collecting other peoples encrypted packets out of the air.

to make this possible one would have to write a new driver for the ipods wifi (this had to be done for the airport extream) which is an immensely difficult task which would most likely require reverse engineering.

asides from that, if you could collect packets then it would be smart to dump/save the packets (or just the IVs) then to crack the dump on a computer at home.
    I want to touch on the "there is no possible way of collecting other peoples encrypted packets out of the air."I have successfully been able to use the tcpdump method to capture packets on SECURED networks and then convert that txt file into a .cap file manually on my PC. With that I could see browsing history and some non secure website acct/pass. It sure as hell isn't WEP cracking, but I was still able to capture the packets.

Before I address deldrice's post let me say a few more things about the what Trist06 says:

Boldface: nice.

As for the reverse engineering that wouldn't be necessary either, at least not in the sense most people imagine. Nobody-DMZ from ipodtouchfans has a post on open source drivers for the ipod hardware. (WEP Cracking AND Monitor Mode update. - iPod touch Fans forum)

What's required is possibly to patch the drivers (the patch is probably available on the net for linux already), and to figure out a way to trick the iphone/ipod touch into accepting non-native wireless card drivers since I imagine Apple will have found some way to make this a pain in the *** for us like everything else (this is where some reverse engineering may be necessary or possibly just some hacking). Either way, it's feasible and practical. All we need is the time to implement it.

Now deldrice: Could you post some more detailed instructions of what exactly you did to get tcdump to 'capture packets on secured networks'? In my experience tcpdump in non monitor mode will only capture packets directed to your wireless card, in other words, your own data. If you want to capture other people's data (read: data directed to other MAC addresses/ips) you need to set your card in monitor mode which is a driver level manipulation, something beyond what tcpdump can do on it's own.

My experience on the ipod touch has confirmed this. I can collect packets just fine when I'm connected to a network, but the number of packets I collect is very low, and appear to be solely packet's directed to my ipod. When I disconnect from the network and run tcpdump I get nothing. Normally, a tcpdump correctly implemented to capture random packets out of the air will capture packets even when your computer isn't associated with an accesspoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    LOL. I love how you make the distinction. If you're taking someone's bandwidth, you're stealing, whether its "open" or not.
    Stealing? That's what the security is for. If it wasn't meant to be shared then secure it, if it's open then it's fair game.

My fault that you didn't protect your wifi? Nope. Thank you kindly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wi-Fi Joker. icrazy.us
    If i helped hit Thanks!

Anything new on the subject?

if you live in the uk i've developed 2 apps that will crack into WLAN, BTHomeHub (not BTHomeHub2), speedtouched, Thomsom and INFINITUM networks in under 2-3minutes on my 1G ipod.

i'm ALMOST done on a 3rd brute force wordfile.TXT password cracker, which you can use to crack straight into the router letting you log onto the network or EVEN (but BAD) take control of and change the password of the network.

Thanks

I'm ashamed that so many cheap people have iPhones. I remember the days when I could use Apple products to distance myself from the great unwashed. Now it seems theses people are somehow able to save a few hundred dollars to buy the phone, then spend the following 2 years working out how not to spend another dime. Some way to live.
    Last edited by redcard; 2009-11-01 at 12:43 PM.

this forum is for the technically minded hacker type (the sort of people that jailbreak they're idevices) not the posh people that bought one to show off if you don't like a topic don't post in it!

Ok, whether or not an idevice can get into monitor mode is not the problem here. To speed up the process of cracking WEP people use a technique called injection, which means you have the AP (network) resend certain packets you want over and over which helps you get the packets you need (IVs) for cracking the actual password in a short amount of time. The hardware put in idevices do not support injection which was stated way back on page 3 by taxbax I think. A lot of cards for computers don't support injection.

Now yes, someone could sit there forever and collect packets, but seriously it's not a plausible idea.

The standard for security now is WPA and WPA2, requires you to only get 1 certain packet: a 4-way handshake. I won't go into detail on this, but injection also speeds up the process of getting one. But to crack a handshake you need a dictionary attack which would take forever on an idevice.

Conclusion: use a computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freerunnering View Post
    this forum is for the technically minded hacker type (the sort of people that jailbreak they're idevices) not the posh people that bought one to show off if you don't like a topic don't post in it!
    I'm gonna puke, man.

WTFTF is an idevice?

"jailbreak they're idevices"? they're idevices??? they are idevices???! WTF
    To live, you have to lie

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast