Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Would appreciate some help

Default Would appreciate some help
    Hi all

I am an absolute newb to this malarkey and am simply trying to fix my iphone 3gs arg!

Background - Never, jail broken or downgraded before. Have always let apple dictate my life and have update as normal through iTunes. Phone is out of warranty but I have never had any problems. I am on 02 in the UK.

I installed firmware 4.3.5 and ever since the signal started playing up. At first it was intermittent, then I could only use 2g (if 3g was on I would have no signal whatís so ever), then it completely died.

I have installed and activated a new sim which works fine in another phone. So my next port of call was the firmware.

I have tried to download and install 4.3.3/4.3.2/4.3 and I am sure I have followed the method to the tee. My host file is edited with 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com, I have pinged gs.apple.com and its connecting to that IP. I am in DFU mode and not recovery.

However, whenever I try to restore the firmware file I get the same (3194) error in Itunes. Where am I going wrong here? Everything else on the phone works fine I just canít get any signal from this handset.

Any advice on how I move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by morat121 View Post
    Hi all

I am an absolute newb to this malarkey and am simply trying to fix my iphone 3gs arg!
    arg!
    and welcome to the malarkey!

Background - Never, jail broken or downgraded before. Have always let apple dictate my life and have update as normal through iTunes. Phone is out of warranty but I have never had any problems. I am on 02 in the UK.

I installed firmware 4.3.5 and ever since the signal started playing up. At first it was intermittent, then I could only use 2g (if 3g was on I would have no signal what’s so ever), then it completely died.
    It's possible that your signal problems may not be resolvable- there could be a physical or electronic problem with the phone that's only repairable by Apple. We can give you some assistance with trying other firmware versions, but they may not help.

Regardless, if you've never jailbroken before or saved SHSH blobs, you won't be able to downgrade to 4.3, 4.3.2 or 4.3.3. You'll get the error 3194 every time, it will never work.

The only options for you are restoring the CURRENT firmware (4.3.5) ,
    or restoring an old firmware (4.1) that Apple still signs.

Not sure if this will help with the signal problem, but it should reset everything to a "clean slate".
    4.1 may also run a bit faster.

Edit:

oops.
    I said 4.2.1 when I'd meant 4.1 sorry
    4.1 and 4.3.5 are still being signed for the 3gs. Nothing else.
    Last edited by raduga; 2011-10-03 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks

To my knowledge 4.2.1 is NOT being signed by apple...only current version for ip4...unless u have blobs for earlier FW, ur stuck..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xboxbml For This Useful Post:

raduga (2011-10-03)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

4.1 was the last firmware that apple signed, I had the same issue (on o2 as well) and downgraded to 4.1 from 4.3.5 and since doing this I've never had a problem with signal, I have a 3GS with the newer firmware & jailbreaked mine & found that it wouldn't get signal, however as soon as I put the iPad baseband on, no problem at all & I've not had any issues with gps either since doing this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

raduga (2011-10-03)

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    To my knowledge 4.2.1 is NOT being signed by apple...only current version for ip4...unless u have blobs for earlier FW, ur stuck..
    For morat's 3gs, 4.1 is still available (unless Apple changed very recently). Apple still signs 4.1 for 3g and 3gs. But not for any other models.

It remains to be seen what they'll do iOS5, since a whole lot of older machines that can "sort of" run v5 will not have a great user experience under it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    4.1 was the last firmware that apple signed, I had the same issue (on o2 as well) and downgraded to 4.1 from 4.3.5 and since doing this I've never had a problem with signal, I have a 3GS with the newer firmware & jailbreaked mine & found that it wouldn't get signal, however as soon as I put the iPad baseband on, no problem at all & I've not had any issues with gps either since doing this.
    That is good, your GPS is still functioning.