Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade 4.3.5 to 4.1... FAIL

Hey guys,

So I'm at the end of my rope here and can't figure out what to do next, what I'm doing wrong or if my 3Gs has a hardware issue.

Some history up front: I have a 3Gs running 4.3.5. on a tethered jailbreak from Redsnow 0.9.9b1. I was running jailbroken/unlocked 3.1.2 for about a year, until the other day when my phone crash and got stuck in a reboot/crash loop. I could never get past the apple logo screen. It would come up for a few seconds and then go black. Plugged it into iTunes and it said it was in recovery mode. Since I never backed up SHSH blobs, I couldn't restore to 3.1.2, so I restored it via iTunes using the latest firmware and am now on 4.3.5

I tried to downgrade without blobs following a these tutorials:
    http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/08/downg...hsh-blobs.html
    http://www.iphonehowtojailbreak.com/...hsh-blobs.html

Neither worked. I tried them both repeatedly and I've gotten just about every error in the book : 20, 1600, 1604, 2001, and some others I can't remember. Part of the problem is most of them are written for Windows users and I'm on a Mac. It seems like every tutorial instructs me to download and use programs I can't run. Being on a mac, I can't use IReb, IFaith, Sn0wbreeze, etc.
    Anyway, while using Tiny Umbrella, I saw that I had 4.1 SHSH blob saved, so I've been trying to downgrade to 4.1 now.

I tried this tutorial:
    http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/08/downg...78601838842469

Considering it's begins with"Run iReb..." it doesn't bode well for me. Anyway, I put the phone into DFU mode manually and go from there. But no dice. I flash 4.1 IPSW in iTunes, get an error message and the phone goes into recovery mode. That's pretty much where the process ends. Honestly, I've been working at this for days now, and I can barely remember all the myriad things I've tried. I've also searched and searched, but just get the same windows based tutorials.

Please help.

I need to downgrade my tethered jailbroken 4.3.5 3Gs on my Macbook Pro. If anyone can help me or point me to a tutorial specifically for Mac, all I can offer is my eternal gratitude. If you need any more info, please just let me know.

I'm hoping that I'm not the only person to in the world to try and downgrade 4.3.5 to 4.1 using a Mac. May we're all just suffering in silence.

Anyway, thanks in advance...

Oh yeah, another thing is that I've done so much following these tutorials that I'm afraid something I changed in the past is now causing me problems with the later attempts.

For example: I've added text to or just swapped out my "Host" file in /etc/ as instructed by the tutorial, and I 've tried to go back and undo what changes I made before going on to try a new tutorial, but I've done it soooooo many times, I'm afraid maybe i forgot once and that's part of the problem?

ARGGGGGHHH!!!!

please help...
    Last edited by farstuck; 2011-09-28 at 04:35 PM. Reason: mistake

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Restoring 4.1 should not be difficult. Apple is signing/approving it, so Tiny Umbrella is not needed. In addition, all gs.apple.com entries in /etc/hosts should be commented or deleted.

After the iTunes restore, Error 10xx if very likely. Exit recover (not fix recovery) from Tiny Umbrella is the correct fix for this error. Use Redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 for the jailbreak.

You may be having problems with dfu mode. Redsn0w is my preferred choice before starting iTunes. Just select 'just enter pwnd-dfu' mode and follow the count-down timer.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I get the the error 1015, as you said, but when I open TU and exit recovery, it exits, then pops back up in recovery mode. No matter how many times I select the device and exit recovery, after it exits, it re-starts in recovery mode. Isn't it supposed to boot up normally so I can jailbreak it?
    iTunes seemed to be restoring normally to 4.1. I got the apple logo with the progress bar underneath while it was restoring, then I got the 1015 error and it quit, like you said, but then it was stuck in recovery loop.

I put it back into DFU mode and tried to jailbreak using Redsnow 0.9.6rc18. Just checked "install Cydia" and hit next it started the jailbreak process, a whole bunch of code going by on the iphone screen, and then:
    "please wait...
    please wait...
    please wait...
    please wait...
    please wait...
    please wait...
    please wait...
    please wait..."

for about 10 minutes. Then it finished (I think?) and re-started in recovery mode. Again, exit recovery through TU just has it exit and go back into recovery mode. I'm back into the recovery loop.

I followed your directions, except I can't find a download for Redsnow 0.9.6rc8, so I'm using 0.9.6rc18. Is this the problem?
    Also, this may be a stupid question, but when I start Redsnow, and it asks to select the IPSW for your CURRENT firmware, if I'm currently on 4.3.5 but trying to restore to 4.1, what do I point to??? I've tried both, but pointing to 4.3.5 (which is my CURRENT firmware) gives me a "Unable to recoginize specified IPSW", and if I point to 4.1, I'm able to get through Redsnow, but I never get past iTunes without the error message/recovery loop?

Any ideas???

Oh, also. I deleted the additional text I added to the host file. Just to be sure, can you tell me exactly what it should read, so I know i did it correctly?
    Last edited by farstuck; 2011-09-28 at 06:48 PM. Reason: additional info

I'm facing (almost to the letter) the same situation you are, except that I'm on Windows. This guide is helping me to get past all of this. I'm still waiting for the baseband replacement to finish its process on the phone side, but it's looking pretty good. Good luck to you, however you proceed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@farstruck ... It appears your problem is before a redsnow jb and the hosts files is ok. After the 4.1 restore and TU exit recovery, the springboard screen or USB cable connect to ITunes screen was expected, not DFU or recovery mode.

There is one thing you could try. Either remove the battery for 10 minutes, or allow the battery to drain completely -- then try again. If this doesn't help ... a hardware issue is suspected.

i have a 3gs that has never been jailbroken before. its on the newest firmware. i use i reb then go to itunes and then it says iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible. the firmware im trying to use is 4.1 and its not working. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Incompatible means you have downloaded incorrect firmware , here iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

so how do i know which firmware i need ?
    its a 3gs on the newest firmware. on 5.14.04 BB....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Or corrupted, download from the link I gave you.

sorry, Im new to this stuff. so i should download the 4.1.0 for the 3gs (iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw)

hypothetically now. what else would i need to do, if this didnt work. and itunes wont let me restore it with this firmware?

ok well it's not hypothetical. i get the same message.

im using iReb and then i get it into dfu mode, then i open itunes, and then i shift restore, i then use (iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw, and then a window comes up saying,The iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible. am i missing something ?
    Last edited by hlhowns; 2011-09-29 at 04:07 AM.

thanks for your help guys i figured out the main cause my friend said it was a 3gs and its a 3g i should be able to get it thanks again