Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to update 3GS from 4.2.1 to 4.3.5 and preserve current BB(05.15.04)

Thanks

Default How to update 3GS from 4.2.1 to 4.3.5 and preserve current BB(05.15.04)
    Sorry all. Hate to post this, but wanted a little explanation also...I want to try and update my 3GS from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3-5 and preserve my current 4.2.1 baseband.(05.15.04), and NOT be jailbroken. From what I've seen before on forums, is that if you update to new basebands, then go back in iOS, you will have iOS-BB mismatches, and have issues with how the phone reacts to call hangups, and possibly GPS, or other issues? This would drive me nuts! and I wouldn't want to lose GPS functionality for sure...Anyway, I don't unlock. I'm on AT&T in US. I'm on windows 7 64. I have blobs for 4.1, 4.3.2-5.0b3. I also have an iFaith signed ipsw on 4.2.1. I want to possibly try this to see performance on these 4.3.x versions, and be able to go back and still have my 4.2.1 bb if I don't like it. Thoughts?

Thanks

I'd stay at 4.2.1. Not much benefit to updating. Ss it is, there isn't an untethered jailbreak for 4.3.5 at this point. You could update to 4.3.3 by creating a custom firmware with PwnageTool or sn0breeze and preserve your baseband, but the fixes are minimal. I'd stay put.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I also suggest staying on 4.2.1. The risks far far outweigh the minimal benefits.

Thanks

Oh, I know all about the un-fixes/untethered issues. I'm on my 3rd 3GS now.....I was just wanting to try this to see how 4.3.3-5 performs on my 3GS....I just got back from a visit to att store, and saw 4.3.5 on a demo 3GS with my own eyes! Every other att store i've been to only has 4.0 or 4.0.1 on it.....It looked VERY similar to 4.2.1 in response/performance. If I could build custom IPSW with sb, and preserve the current bb, i could come back to my iFaith built 4.2.1 if I didn't like it, and still have the current(05.15.04) bb and not have those call failed and other issues i've read about....

Thanks

I find that a freshly jailbroken iPhone runs faster. You also can't compare performance of an unjailbroken iPHone to a jailbroken one. If you had absolutely nothing else running on a jailbroken phone other than Apple's software, the performance should be comparable. But then again, I've always noticed a slight slow down over time. Well worth the hassle for the benefits!

Besides, iOS 5 is around the corner. Why not wait for it to be jailbroken?
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

Yeah I know...I've been looking at utube demos for 5b1...looks decently fast on 3GS...would like to see 5b7 demo on 3GS but no one has made one past b1...anyway I'm still kicking around the idea of doing the whole custom FW to 4.3.5 and preserve bb, but would that make me unjailbroken or does that force jb?..wAs trying to stAy non-jb that way for now..