Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS no longer fluid on 4.3.3

Default 3GS no longer fluid on 4.3.3
    hi, stupidly i upgraded to 4.3.3 via itunes sometime ago and my phone lost all of its fluidity. It now jerky, slow and annoying. I'd like to downgrade to 4.2 or 4.1 or anything really that works better than this but have no idea what to do and cant find any instructions that I understand. Most talk of sh blobs etc but im too noob to know what thats all about.. I installed Cydia the other day by going to a webpage and clicking install to see if that would allow me to downgrade but couldnt figure that out.

Thanks

Well, you might want to make sure u have everything backed up in some manner on ur pc. Sync apps music in iTunes. Copy down all camera roll pics and vids to pc...I sync contacts and calendar to outlook...you won't be restoring from backup. Next thing would be to download TimyUmbrella, run it, and click save shsh blobs, and see what blobs it saves..Then I would download iFaith and run that to save the blobs off the phone, and then use it to create a signed ipsw of the current firmware on the phone. This is to be able to restore to rhe 4.3.3 again. If u restore now in iTunes, it would update to 4.3.5 and u don't want that. Anyway google instructions on these tools or look around in here some more..you'll find it..so when u run TU and save blobs, see what u have..u might have 4.2.1 if ur lucky.,report back what u get.

Scratch the comment about you won't be restoring from backup...meant to erase that..
    Last edited by xboxbml; 2011-08-13 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Well, you might want to make sure u have everything backed up in some manner on ur pc. Sync apps music in iTunes. Copy down all camera roll pics and vids to pc...I sync contacts and calendar to outlook...you won't be restoring from backup. Next thing would be to download TimyUmbrella, run it, and click save shsh blobs, and see what blobs it saves..Then I would download iFaith and run that to save the blobs off the phone, and then use it to create a signed ipsw of the current firmware on the phone. This is to be able to restore to rhe 4.3.3 again. If u restore now in iTunes, it would update to 4.3.5 and u don't want that. Anyway google instructions on these tools or look around in here some more..you'll find it..so when u run TU and save blobs, see what u have..u might have 4.2.1 if ur lucky.,report back what u get.

Scratch the comment about you won't be restoring from backup...meant to erase that..
    nice one, thanks for that. TinyUmbrella gave me the following

iPhone 3GS 4.1 (8B117)-1818818667341
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.5 (8L1)-1818818667341
    iPhone 3GS 5.0b1 (9A5220p)-1818818667341
    Phone 3GS 5.0b2 (9A5248d)-1818818667341
    Phone 3GS 5.0b3 (9A5259f)-1818818667341

have saved all off phone to a safe location with iFaith and now the following file saved on my computer

000001A77A0A634D_iPhone_3GS-4.3.3_(8J2)-blobs.ifaith

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The iFaith pre-signed ipsw can be loaded w/iTunes. It's a stock load w/o any worry about a BB update. TU is not needed . Redsnow rc19 to jb.

OK, built the iFaith IPSW and let iFath download the approriate image for me but it said at the end that it was 4.3.3 which is what i already have. i want to be able to downgrade back for 4.1 or 4.2 to get the fluidity back in my phone. Have I done somethign wrong?

Thanks

No, u didn't do anything wrong..I just didn't want u to update to 4.3.5 cuz u cant untether on that. Anyway, u can now at least stay on 4.3.3 if things go bad..cuz TU didn't have blobs for u for 4.2.1. AnywAy, u do have 4.1 so u should be able to download the 4.1 FW and using TU and iTunes and downgrade back to 4.1 if u want. I've not done this myself yet, but there are instructions u can find in here on how to do that.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dimsim View Post
    OK, built the iFaith IPSW and let iFath download the approriate image for me but it said at the end that it was 4.3.3 which is what i already have. i want to be able to downgrade back for 4.1 or 4.2 to get the fluidity back in my phone. Have I done somethign wrong?
    I really don't understand what you mean by 'fluidity'. Sluggishness occurs when loading too many tweaks and crazy apps. 4.2.1 and 4.1 are fine, and so is 4.3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    I really don't understand what you mean by 'fluidity'. Sluggishness occurs when loading too many tweaks and crazy apps. 4.2.1 and 4.1 are fine, and so is 4.3.3
    I mainly mean the performance of the mail app although app responsiveness in general is sluggish. Scrolling between folders and flicking between emails got very slow after upgrade to 4.3.1, the upgrade to 4.3.3 made no difference. I only have about two pages of apps, all from the app store and havent tweaked the phone at all. Everything was working well with no issues whatsoever whilst running on 4.1.x or 4.2.x

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am surprised you can notice any difference. But that's just me.
    Only two choices: 4.1 which Apple is currently signing, and the current 4.3.3 version (saved thanks to iFaith). Between the two, I would stay at 4.3.3 --- but that's also just me

ok, thanks. What do you mean by "4.1, which Apple is currently signing" How would this affect the restore procedure mentioned in the link above provided by xboxbml? Does it mean that I dont have to trick itunes to talk to another server?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Because Apple is signing iOS 4.1 firmware, TU is not needed. Just make sure all gs.apple.com lines are deleted in your hosts file.

Put the phone in pwnd-DFU mode using iREB before restoring w/iTunes.
    Start iREB with the phone connected and powered-off
    If iTunes reports an error after it's restored, use TU and hit exit recovery.

Being on 4.3.3 now, I assume you can't or don't need an unlock.
    If my assumption is wrong, stop. A custom firmware build & restore is required.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-14 at 09:46 PM.