Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3G help needed signal problem

Default Iphone 3G help needed signal problem
    Hi
    I recently received a Iphone 3G and it was only 4.1.2 (I think)
    Anyway after some help yesterday I managed to downgrade and jailbreak to 3.1.2
    The phone needed to be downgraded as 4.1.2 was slowing the phone down and it continued to cut off when in stand by mode.

After downgrading I managed to get the phone working perfectly. It was much much faster.
    I used Redsn0w to jailbreak the phone and downgrade.

The only problem is I receive no phone signal at all. It just says "No service" all the time.

Im not a wiz with iphones so if you can help me could you please let me know with the best instructions possible as I was up till 5am last night trying to figure it out without any luck.

I did download Sn0wbreeze and managed to create a custom IPSW however after following the instructions with that and then going through itunes to upgrade to the custom IPSW it just came back with errors.

So to sum up I have managed to do exactly what I wanted to do but without getting a signal.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Are you on official carrier or do you need to unlock?

Its locked to O2 so official carrier. Im also using an O2 simcard so I would of thought it would of worked fine.

Thanks

Sounds like you used redsnow to jailbreak before iTunes had a chance to activate it. So redsnow will have Hactivated it which will cause you to get no service on official carrier. You need to restore to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 again and first activate with iTunes before you jailbreak again.

Is that restoring with Itunes? As I can't restore via Itunes as the phone was already on 4.1.2 when i received it. So the only restore points I have via itunes are from 4.2.1 I restore with redsn0w to 3.1.2.
    If I restore back to 4.1.2 how would I go about downgrading back to 3.1.2 and having signal?
    thanks

Thanks

Redsnow does not restore firmware. Only iTunes can restore firmware.

But I used redsn0w to downgrade to 3.1.2. I now have no idea what im doing? If im going to take it down to 3.1.2 and have a signal what exactly am I meant to do?
    Thanks again

Thanks

Redsnow jailbreaks. It doesn't downgrade or restore firmware. My guess is you are still at 4.2.1. You can check settings/general/about to verify.

I would suggest just restoring to 4.2.1 in iTunes. That should get you your signal back.

After I use redsnow and it does the jailbreaking stuff and all that the phone reboots perfectly fine. Settings>General>About and it comes up with 3.1.2 so it has downgraded. But Im not getting any signal.

Thanks

I don't know exactly what you are doing. But trust me when I say redsnow does not downgrade/upgrade/restore firmware. Only iTunes does. You probably screwed the phone up a bit when ran redsnow like that.

What does your modem firmware say in your about screen?

Also what version of redsnow are you using?

I have restored the Iphone back to 4.2.1 to start again.
    Redsn0w 0.9.4.
    Firmware 05.15.04

The network is working fine with this update version as its the latest. But the phone shuts down with this update which is why I need to downgrade the phone.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

To downgrade you will need a copy of the 3.1.2 firmware and tiny umbrella.

Once you have them open iTunes. Hold down shift(windows) or option(Mac) and click restore. A window will open where you can choose your 3.1.2 firmware you have.
    Near the end of the restore you will get a error 1015. At this time open tiny umbrella, click on your device in tiny umbrella and press the exit recovery button. Your phone should boot up after that. Let iTunes activate it normally so that you have a working phone with signal.
    After that, then you can use redsnow 0.9.4 to install cydia.

Thank you so much for your help. I will test all this now and see how it goes.
    Once I have completed it all after tiny umbrella etc do I need to use redsnow? Or can I just leave it at that? Aslong as the phone works and is on 3.1.2 im happy.

Thanks again

Thanks

You dont have to use redsnow if you don't want to. That is just if you want to jailbreak after. If you are happy without jailbreaking then that is fine

I have just followed all the steps you provided and the phone is working perfectly. 3.1.2 and its now on O2 thanks again this is brilliant!
    Just another quick question before I leave you to enjoy your evening. What exactly is Cydia for?

Thanks

Cydia is basically like the app store except it is stuff Apple doesnt allow in their app store (eg themes/tweaks etc).