Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: so, I tried this downgrading thing and.........

Default so, I tried this downgrading thing and.........
    So I tried this downgrading thing from this thread http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...files-use.html. It didn't work and now phone wont even restore to before . It is like its a new phone, no contacts, apps or anything. WTH have I done?

Edit: to answer some probable questions
    Win7
    stock 3GS(not jailbroken or anything)
    tried to follow that thread with TU and iFaith
    when I try to restore to my backup gives an error:" iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup session failed"
    now have 4.3.5
    Last edited by FiremanDan; 2011-07-31 at 08:09 PM.

all of your data is gone unless of course u had everything saved/backed up in itunes ?!
    what is the main question here ?! u want to downgrade , or u are stuck on recovery mode or u just want ur data back or what ?!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tarekelmalah For This Useful Post:

FiremanDan (2011-08-01)

I wanted to JB it so read that I needed to downgrade. Backed up in itunes before I started. I have managed to get some of my data back(partial contacts list, no email among others). I probably should have read more about it before I started, what I get for listening to a buddy I reckon. It still will not let me backup from previous backup.
    Last edited by FiremanDan; 2011-07-31 at 10:14 PM.

well since ur iPhone doesnt have iPAD baseband since u dont want to unlock, then i would suggest just find a 4.1 ipsw then go to itunes hit shift+restore and let it put 4.1 on there for u , (if u get any problems use iREB while ur iPhone is in DFU mode and retry the Shift+restore , so after 4.1 is on there just use redsn0w to jailbreak !

OR you can make a custom 4.1 with sn0wbreeze, just make sure to go into advanced and turn off activation, and then iREB then itunes shift+restore then browse for the custom 4.1 after it installs u will have a jailbroken iPhone with cydia on it , either way should work fine !

OR you can have a tethered jailbreak on 4.3.5 the newest version , but some people have been reporting issues with cydia since its not compatible yet with 4.3.5 , just look on this site or google for ways to jailbreak 4.3.5
    Last edited by tarekelmalah; 2011-07-31 at 10:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tarekelmalah For This Useful Post:

FiremanDan (2011-08-01)

I tried the first suggestion you made and it wouldnt show up when itunes let me browse for it. Ill try the second now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanDan View Post
    I tried the first suggestion you made and it wouldnt show up when itunes let me browse for it. Ill try the second now. Thanks!
    did you download the 4.1 ipsw ?! P.S. sometimes if u download stock ipsw's they will come in Zip files , make sure u are using a download program like within firefox or something when downloading stock ipsw's

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tarekelmalah For This Useful Post:

FiremanDan (2011-08-01)

Quote Originally Posted by tarekelmalah View Post
    did you download the 4.1 ipsw ?! P.S. sometimes if u download stock ipsw's they will come in Zip files , make sure u are using a download program like within firefox or something when downloading stock ipsw's
    I thought I did, lol. Yep, firefox.
    Last edited by FiremanDan; 2011-07-31 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarekelmalah View Post
    OR you can make a custom 4.1 with sn0wbreeze, just make sure to go into advanced and turn off activation
    I tried to do this with sb 2.1 and it doesnt give me the advanced option. Cant find a valid fw either
    Last edited by FiremanDan; 2011-08-01 at 01:23 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I tried to do this with sb 2.1 and it doesnt give me the advanced option. Cant find a valid fw either
    You have to use it in expert mode to get all the advanced options.

You should be able to get the stock 4.1 fw from Apple or from the downloads section.

http://modmyi.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6&page=5
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-08-01 at 01:29 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

FiremanDan (2011-08-01)

Im dling that link atm. Ill let you know if it works. I guess I wasnt getting far enough in SB to choose expert or not since they weren't valid ipsw
    Last edited by FiremanDan; 2011-08-01 at 04:09 AM.

OK, I downloaded that link that you put up. It still says invalid. Im using version 2.1. Does that make a difference? I tried v2.7.3 as well. Same outcome.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

OK, I downloaded that link that you put up. It still says invalid. Im using version 2.1. Does that make a difference? I tried v2.7.3 as well. Same outcome.
    The link is for a valid apple firmware.

Its funny you say it doesn't work because it works fine for me when I open it.

SB 2.7.3 is for 4.3.3 fw. SB 2.1 is for the 4.1 fw. Once SB verifies the ipsw then it gives you the option of using simple mode and expert mode. Expert mode is what you want.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

FiremanDan (2011-08-01)

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly. I open SB, browse and find the file,
    then it attempts to verify, then says it cannot verify. Idunno what to
    Do

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly. I open SB, browse and find the file,
    then it attempts to verify, then says it cannot verify. Idunno what to
    Do
    Either its the version of SB you are using which only 2.1 does the 4.1 fw or its the ipsw itself that you are using.
    I would delete the ipsw you are using and download a valid one from the link I provided to you. I just tried this on SB 2.1 and it verified the ipsw just fine.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

FiremanDan (2011-08-01)

It restored to 4.1 I guess. It is in emergency mode. Is that normal?

Got it out of emergency mode by unplug/plug back in. Do I need to sync with itunes again?

I got no errors. AM I supposed to get the error 1015? I also have no apps, Im guessing that is normal? I do have cydia tho.
    Last edited by FiremanDan; 2011-08-01 at 09:35 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Glad you got it running again

The errors are usually when restoring using a stock fw but it has been known to happen on custom fws as well. You'll have to resync all your apps and stuff back to your device through itunes. If the backup is from a higher fw then it will not work on a lower fw restore.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ihappy For This Useful Post:

FiremanDan (2011-08-02)

I synced it and got almost all apps back, some werent compatible with 4.1, makes sense. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Im gonna have to read and learn more about cydia and how it works. Thanks again!!

I synced and all but today, I plug into iTunes and it wants to treat as new phone or do from a backup which is 4.3.5. How do I fix this? I don't want to go back to 4.3.5 accidentally. Sorry for all edits, at the station today.
    Last edited by FiremanDan; 2011-08-02 at 08:02 PM.

Seems to be running god now! Thanks ihappy and tarekelmalah for all of your help! Now to figure out how to upgrade to a newer FW so my apps will work

iTunes is still wanting to "Set up as a new phone" or from 4.3.5 backup. Any idea how to keep this from happening?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast