Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring backup data on a iPhone 3G using 3.1.3 (7E18) fw

Default Restoring backup data on a iPhone 3G using 3.1.3 (7E18) fw
    Hey there, I'm in a bit of a problem. My brother has somehow managed to mess up my dad's 3G iPhone and now its up to me to try and fix it. I'm not an iPhone user nor have I any clue one how iOS Jailbreaking works and I'm having to read up a lot of things just to get my head around what's gone wrong, so forgive me if I'm not really with it.

My dad's phone is a 3G model and was purchased 2nd hand, Jailbroken with iOS 4.0(or something around that mark) I believe, it came with Cydia and a few other JB apps. Anyway, my younger brother decided that he knew what he was doing and tried to downgrade it since he read on the internet(!), lower OS versions run better on the 3G.

From what I can tell, he managed to install 3.1.3 (7E18) which I think is a form of Jailbroken OS, however the biggest issue, one which has my dad quite angry is all my dad's data has been wiped. Contacts, images, music, videos and apps are all gone.

Now all this was done on the downstairs computer, and I believe a backup was made there and by navigating to the mobilesync folder in the iTunes folder and I can see there is a backup folder which is about 1.04 GB in size. I am assuming this is a back of my dad's phone. I have tried going into iTunes to try and restore this back up, but each time I am given a prompt to upgrade to 4.2 firmware first.

Is there some way I can restore this backup data while keeping 3.1.3? Or is this just not possible because the backup was made when the OS was 4.0 and such can only be restored to such an OS? Would going to 4.2 forever ruin any chances of going back to 4.0 or even 3.1.3.

Another small issue I've noticed is that the network keeps on dropping randomly, this wasn't an issue before hand, could the downgraded OS have something to do with this? I'm from the UK and this phone is on the 3(Three) network, its been working fine before this incident. I've read that installing the wrong type of OS could cause this, is this the case here?

I really could do with some advice please, so if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

PS. Sorry if this is not the right place, could you please point me in the correct direction?
    Last edited by Krak_2k; 2011-07-29 at 05:06 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as I know restoring a back up of higher os on lower os does not work on iPhones . I would want someone to confirm this...

Regarding your network thing .. I don know what can be wrong but try switching of 3G and a restore might help.
    iPhone 3G was the last device that could be upgraded/downgraded as per your wish without apple signing the firmware. So u can go to 4.2 to 3.1.3 to 4.0 ..
    I would still prefer 3.1.3.. Actually your bro din do anything wrong tbh u can try updating and restore the backup .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Krak_2k (2011-07-30)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    As far as I know restoring a back up of higher os on lower os does not work on iPhones . I would want someone to confirm this... .
    Correct.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Krak_2k (2011-07-30)

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

^ ahh well m good at this
    Last edited by xtacy; 2011-07-31 at 07:28 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Krak_2k (2011-07-30)

Thanks for the replies, I have tried updating via iTunes and iTunes downloads 4.2 and attempted to update the phone, I saw the bar progress all the way to the end, then it tried to reboot the phone and iTunes throws up the 1015 error message. As a result the phone as gone into what I think is called a recovery boot loop.

I have tried using TinyUmbrella to kick the phone out of Recovery Mode at the end of the updating process, but this has not worked and its still in Recovery mode.

I have read varying different things on what could be the issue, some guides say to use Shift+Restore and select a ipsw file you've downloaded from someplace else, another says I need to download some blobs and another says I need to make a custom 4.1 build...

I am still terribly confused on this matter.

if you are needing to keep an unlock u had ur best bet is custom 4.1 , make a custom 4.1 with sn0wbreeze then get iREB4 follow the steps , then go to itunes and shift+Restore browse for the custom ipsw u just made and it will start the process without any error's if it does give u errors after it has already done the whole software installing process then u can use tiny umbrella to kick it out of Recovery , 4.1 and lower u can always kick out of recovery but anything passed 4.1 tiny umbrella cant do it !
    Make sure ur hosts are not set on cydia via tiny umbrella in Advanced unless of course u could save the SHSH with cydia which usually isnt possible til after u complete the downgrade (weird but thats how it works for now) ,

If not then just use a normal 4.1 IPSW and shift+restore , then if u get the error at least u are on 4.1 then u can kick it out of recovery with tiny umbrella !
    Last edited by tarekelmalah; 2011-07-30 at 02:33 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tarekelmalah For This Useful Post:

Krak_2k (2011-07-30)

Yes, I think I want to keep the unlock. I think O2 were the default carries of the 3G iPhones, since my Dad was using his Three/3 network sim card, I am guessing the phone was unlocked.

Man, this is driving me nuts. I used Snowbreeze, made a custom firmware, went into DFU mode, waited for it to patch, did the shift+restore with the custom FW in iTunes - after waiting for ages for it to all complete, nothing. The only thing that has now changed is the icons sport the snowflake logos instead of the apple ones, the phone is still not booting up properly.

The only thing I can tell that has changed is it seems to be forever in the loading mode and I have to force it to go into recovery mode if I want the computer to recognise it.

All I want is to go back to 4.1 or 4.2 so I can restore the backup of the data.
    Last edited by Krak_2k; 2011-07-30 at 05:48 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Krak_2k For This Useful Post:

Moose0704 (2011-08-18)

id hate too say it but by what u r telling me i think your iPhone's hard drive has a problem , thats not normal at all , whenever i get that kinda problem i just sale it as defected cos its beyond me and i believe its not a hardware error thats not letting it complete the installing of any iOS for that matter it seems , let me put it like this if u got a factory iPhone that doesnt have an iPAD baseband installed and u cant fully just do a stock or update install it doesnt look good , i wish i could say there is something else too do but im OUT on this one sorry man !
    P.S. i deal with 100's of iPhones a month , :s

dude, just download a custom iOS 4.2.1 or 4.1.

use redsnow to get into pwned dfu mode..

pwned dfu is what you need, use whatever tool you want to get there.

then go to iTunes, and select the CUSTOM iOS and you'll be good to go