Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UPGRADED TO 4.3.4, DFU LOOP, im stuck :(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question UPGRADED TO 4.3.4, DFU LOOP, im stuck :(
    Hi guys! I hope this had not been previously asked/posted but i gather since its because of the new firmware im guessing, it most likely has not.

I have a 3GS 32gb iphone, and i wanted to update to 4.3.3 and have it untethered jailbroken and unlocked with ultrasn0w with the 6.15.00 baseband. The phone was put into pwned dfu mode and i tried updating (At this stage the baseband was at 5.13.04 or something) and the update failed. I then tried to jailbreak and install 6.15 bb and that worked, but i cannot get a restore to work. I updated to 4.3.4 before updating the bb and it worked fine and booted up.

Now however, whenever i restore (BY THE WAY I HAVE ALL SHSH BLOBS SAVED) to 4.1, 4.3.3 the restore will complete (The same goes for custom firmwares & stock restores) but then instantly go into a dfu screen loop. ?? I have no idea why, ive never had this before. If i restore to the stock 4.1 or something, i naturally get the 1015 restore error (which means that im trying to install an older bb update onto the newer) and ive tried kicking it out with TinyUmbrella. Im really stuck at the moment, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you have the iPad bb installed you can only use custom firmwares for 4.2.1 and up. If you'd like to restore to 4.3.3 or 4.2.1, create a custom firmware WITHOUT the iPad bb packaged in it. Set your phone into pwned dfu mode with redsn0w, open TinyUmbrella and run the TSS Server, then open iTunes and shift+restore to the custom fw.

im having the same exact problem on my 3gs , this sucks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi thanks for your reply, and n8te455 im glad im not the only one. I have followed your instructions i.Annie, and i am still restoring into a dfu loop. no matter what i do it seems like 4.3.4 is the only ios that will work, if i restore to that firmware, it throws an error because of the 6.15 baseband and then goes into a recovery loop. At least i know that if i restored to 4.3.4 without the 6.15 it would have worked fine, and its still going into restore mode instead of dfu loop on 4.3.4 but im still stuck Like i said, i followed your instructions, i cooked a custom firmware of ios 4.2.1 in BASEBAND PREVENTION MODE in sn0wbreeze, then prepared my iphone for custom firmware in redsn0w, then started tss server, then restored. I am able to successfully restore each time; however it immeadiantly restarts in a DFU loop.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I dont think you should be doing it in bb preservation mode, you also need to ensure you're not including the iPad bb when you build the cfw.

The DFU loop is a result of the iPad bb and attempting to restore to a custom fw that isn't built without the above mentioned.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-07-23 at 02:12 AM.

they need to make a custom firmware loader/generator for iOS 4.3.4. thats the answer to out solution

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's called Sn0wbreeze or Pwnagetool 4.3.4/4.2.9 are pretty new and pretty useless so the jb community isn't in a rush to release the update versions of those tools.

Users should learn to be responsible and save SHSHs so that in cases of emergency, there is a backup plan.

It's unclear whether 4.3.4/4.2.9 is even worth releasing an untethered jb tool since this update provided nothing but the security patch.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have my SHSH's saved - yet im still not able to get my iphone working So i.Annie you are saying that i should restore to 4.2.1 cooked in sn0wbreeze with no baseband bundled in? Thats what i did, i restored to 4.2.1 in bb preservation mode, i DID NOT have the 6.15 bundled in to be installed, and yet i still recieved the DFU loop. ? Im really stuck now. I have no idea why this should be happerning, its never happened with any 3gs ive ever had before.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Like I said don't put it in baseband preservation mode. You need a custom fw, bb preservation mode isn't jailbreaking your device it's preserving the baseband only. You're essentially preserving the 6.15.00 bb unnecessarily. Put it in expert mode, go to general and select activate if you don't have an official sim to activate with, create the cfw, and try again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just tried that, made a custom firmware in expert mode of 4.2.1 firmware in sn0wbreeze, prepared for cfw in redsn0w, tss server, restore was successful but as soon as it goes to bootup after the restore its straight into dfu loop again.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Maybe you should try 4.1. I really don't know what the problem is if you have SHSHs saved and you're using a custom firmware. It should only be in a dfu loop if you have the iPad bb and you're not using a cfw, it shouldn't be doing it after all that you've done so far.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have tried 4.1, and i agree with you ive restored hundreds of iphones and never had this issue, and this phone was working 100% before i had to restore it. :/

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah that's weird. Sometimes when I have to restore and rejailbreak iPhones, it doesn't always go right. I've had to spend hours on some phones while I spend 15 minutes on others to do the same process. Sometimes repetition and persistence is what gets things to happen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

The good news is that you don't have to worry about preserving your baseband. iOS 4.3.4 uses the same baseband as iOS 4.3.3.

Here are the steps for downgrading safely:

Put your device into DFU mode first before restoring to iOS 4.3.3.

To put your iPod into DFU mode, hold down the power and home buttons for 10 seconds, letting go of the lock button but continuing to hold menu until iTunes recognizes the device with the message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes". Your screen should be pitch black at this point and should not show the connect to iTunes screen. If it does you messed up.

The DFU restore is different than the general restore. A general restore will set all settings back to defaults while a DFU restore completely expunges the device then re-injects the iOS operating system into it.

Before starting the DFU restore, make sure your hosts file is correctly configured. AND that you have 4.3.3 SHSH blobs saved in Cydia.

In Windows Vista+7, go to the start menu, find notepad, right click it and click 'run as administrator'. From there click File > open. Navigate to Computer>Local Disk C>Windows>System32>drivers>etc. You may need to use the drop down menu to switch your view from .txt files to 'All files'. Open the hosts file and confirm that the last line of the hosts file says, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". If it does not, then add the line and save the file. If there is a "#" sign before it, remove that sign and then save.

In Mac OS X, go to spotlight, find terminal and open it. Enter, "sudo nano /private/etc/hosts". Hit enter, then enter your password. Confirm that the last line of the hosts file says, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". If it does not, then add the line and save the file. If there is a "#" sign before it, remove that sign and then save by pressing Ctrl + O and hitting enter. Then hit Cmd + Q and hit enter.

Once your hosts file is configured and you have SHSH blobs saved in Cydia, you are good to go to perform the restore. Editing the hosts file makes iTunes communicate with Cydia instead of Apple. This means Cydia will sign the outdated software for you as Apple will not.

Get the iOS 4.3.3 firmware here and Shift + Click restore (windows), Option + Click restore (mac os x) in iTunes to perform the restore, point to the firmware you downloaded, hit enter, and you are good to go. Just rejailbreak using Jailbreakme 3.0.

After restoring you will be presented with a 10xx error. This is normal. Close out of iTunes after the error.

Download Tinyumbrella for Windows/OS X and Fix Recovery for Windows/OS X. Install and open Tinyumbrella and go to the folder that you downloaded the Fix Recovery to. Run the Fix recovery command from that folder not from Tinyumbrella, and be sure to select the right one, 43 is for iOS 4.3-4.3.3, 421 is for iOS 4.2.1.

It may be necessary to go to Tinyumbrella and run the exit recovery afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    ChSchuldiner

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

A custom firmware is required for 4.2.1+ on a device with the iPad baseband installed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    A custom firmware is required for 4.2.1+ on a device with the iPad baseband installed.
    This is an iPhone 3GS, an iPad baseband would be incompatible. They don't run on the same hardware.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

An iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G are capable of upgrading to use the iPad baseband to unlock. This is the case for the OP.

Here is a link for you to review to understand the concept of using the iPad baseband on an iPhone.

Dev-Team Blog - Ultra-recycle

Thanks

An iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G are capable of upgrading to use the iPad baseband to unlock. This is the case for the OP.

Here is a link for you to review to understand the concept of using the iPad baseband on an iPhone.

Dev-Team Blog - Ultra-recycle
    Thanks, this is something I've not heard of before. At least I won't make that mistake again; I also don't own a 3GS, I have a 4, so things are different.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes the iPhone 4 is not capable of doing this. 3GS/3G have the capability, this is why people must decide on whether to use the iPad bb on an iPhone or not due to the risk of GPS loss. But in return they gain unlockability.

Thanks

Yes the iPhone 4 is not capable of doing this. 3GS/3G have the capability, this is why people must decide on whether to use the iPad bb on an iPhone or not due to the risk of GPS loss. But in return they gain unlockability.
    I have very little experience with unlocks, my main goal was to give the asker the key to restoring.

In that I add that the custom firmware is necessary instead of the link I provided. In this case more software may be necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast