Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading 3GS from 4.3.3 to 4.2.1

Default Downgrading 3GS from 4.3.3 to 4.2.1
    Due to the battery drain, real or imagined, caused by 4.3.3 I'm trying to downgrade to 4.2.1. I've got my SHSH blobs, custom firmware built with pwnage tool, TinyUmbrella and all that crap. I was able to get 4.2.1 JB installed.

However, I end up with no phone service or 3G. "Network" and "Carrier" are unknown.

Am I missing a step? Help appreciated.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnytucats View Post
    Due to the battery drain, real or imagined, caused by 4.3.3 I'm trying to downgrade to 4.2.1. I've got my SHSH blobs, custom firmware built with pwnage tool, TinyUmbrella and all that crap. I was able to get 4.2.1 JB installed.

However, I end up with no phone service or 3G. "Network" and "Carrier" are unknown.

Am I missing a step? Help appreciated.
    Is this for an official att carrier or another one?

AT&T.

I definitely want to get to 4.2.1 if I can. I've reinstalled 4.3.3, which is working fine, until I can figure out how to get 4.2.1 working properly.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

my understanding is that if you have your shsh blobs saved then you can just run tiny umbrella and restore through itunes.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725...e-restore.html

Just note that if you backup while on 4.3.3 then you will not be able to restore from that backup on 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    my understanding is that if you have your shsh blobs saved then you can just run tiny umbrella and restore through itunes.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725...e-restore.html

Just note that if you backup while on 4.3.3 then you will not be able to restore from that backup on 4.2.1
    Yes. That's exactly how I did the restore to 4.2.1. Then setup as new phone, as I have done with 4.3.3.

I suppose it's the phone "activation" that is not occurring, if it is supposed to.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What baseband are you on?

There have been problems from what I have read about mismatch basebands and firmwares after 4.2.1. But the signal bars not showing is believed to be cosmetic and is fixed through ultrasn0w. So if you're not getting anything, no carrier logo, bars, etc then that definitely sounds like something else is causing the problem.
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-06-26 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    What baseband are you on?

There have been problems from what I have read about mismatch basebands and firmwares after 4.2.1. But the signal bars not showing is believed to be cosmetic and is fixed through ultrasn0w. So if you're not getting anything, no carrier logo, bars, etc then that definitely sounds like something else is causing the problem.
    My baseband in 4.3.3 (Modem Firmware) says 05.16.02. I don't know if that was different in my 4.2.1 setup.

I get no carrier logo but the bars are there. Kinda looks like 1 tiny bar is indicated.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I would try the process again but instead of using the custom fw I would use an official apple one. It could be the fw you are using and since you are on att then there really is no reason to have a custom one. Then just run redsn0w (rc18) and see if this solves your problem.

I'll give that a shot...although I'm thinking I already tried the official 4.2.1 with the same results...not sure though.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good luck

Seems as though it's not gonna work. I can't get 4.2.1 unmodified to install properly. I got 4.0.1 installed and the phone works.

I'm wondering if it's that I never had 4.2.1 on there at all. I went from 4.1 to 4.3 when I updated the firmware. I do have 4.2.1 SHSH blobs downloaded from Cydia in my TinyUmbrella and I'm able to install the 4.2.1 custom, but I'm thinking the network is not working since I never ran that firmware. Anyone seen this before?

I've got 4.3 working and I'm JBing with Redsn0w. Hope the battery usage is a bit better than 4.3.3.

UPDATE: That doesn't work...Cydia icon is white and doesn't open. Will try 4.3.1

UPDATE 2: 4.3.1 Not working either.
    Last edited by Johnnytucats; 2011-06-28 at 07:50 PM.