Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading 4.3.3 to 4.0

Default Downgrading 4.3.3 to 4.0
    Have a 3gs w/saved 4.0 blobs at cydia. Upgraded directly from 4.0 to 4.3.3. The iphone is one month to end of warranty and cracks are appearing in rear housing, near headphone jack and cable input. My local Apple store said they will repair/replace the phone. I have tried to downgrade to 4.0 using TinyUmbrella, having altered the hosts file with no luck. I did alter the hosts file with notepad as administrator. I keep getting the phone in recovery mode asking for an unlocked sim card after downgrade, with multiple languages for the unlock slider being displayed.

I am using stock version of 4.0 as this is the only way to get it to warranty repair. Tried recboot and fix recovery in TU but no luck, it stays in recovery mode. It does not appear that Cydia is signing the downgrade? Interestingly enough Cydia seems to think it has blobs for 4.1 to 4.3 on file for me even though I never ran those versions of the ios? Can I downgrade to those even though I did not run them? Whats going wrong?

Should I just replace the case housing myself as I may get back a refurb with updated baseband as mine is 5.14?

Thank you for any help you may offer,

WOTS

Quote Originally Posted by WOTS View Post
    Have a 3gs w/saved 4.0 blobs at cydia. Upgraded directly from 4.0 to 4.3.3. The iphone is one month to end of warranty and cracks are appearing in rear housing, near headphone jack and cable input. My local Apple store said they will repair/replace the phone. I have tried to downgrade to 4.0 using TinyUmbrella, having altered the hosts file with no luck. I did alter the hosts file with notepad as administrator. I keep getting the phone in recovery mode asking for an unlocked sim card after downgrade, with multiple languages for the unlock slider being displayed.

I am using stock version of 4.0 as this is the only way to get it to warranty repair. Tried recboot and fix recovery in TU but no luck, it stays in recovery mode. It does not appear that Cydia is signing the downgrade? Interestingly enough Cydia seems to think it has blobs for 4.1 to 4.3 on file for me even though I never ran those versions of the ios? Can I downgrade to those even though I did not run them? Whats going wrong?

Should I just replace the case housing myself as I may get back a refurb with updated baseband as mine is 5.14?

Thank you for any help you may offer,

WOTS
    Why does the 3Gs needs to be on 4.0 for you to get the warranty repair? If this is not needed and you do not need the unlock, then I suggest you restoring the phone to stock 4.3.3

If you do need 4.0 and you know that you have 4.0 SHSH saved in Cydia (but as you say doesn't seem to work), then get the SHSH from Cydia saved locally to your desktop and then used TU to act as the signing server.

So what you need is

1. The SHSH file saved locally (run TU and it should save it locally)
    2. Edit your hosts file by typing this line 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    3. Run TSS server in TU
    4. Press Shift + restore in iTunes and point it to the 4.0 firmware file for the 3Gs

You should be good to go. If anything happens (error 1015 etc etc), use TU to kick it out of recovery.

Hope that helps.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You didn't mention you tried exit recovery with TU after restoring to 4.0. Fix recovery is for 4.2.1 and up. Exit recovery is what you need for 4.1 and below.