Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: cant upgrade past 4.1

Default cant upgrade past 4.1
    hi long story short, restored a jb 3gs and i cant upgrade past 4.1. i have all the diff restores, 4.3 4.2 and so on. keep getting error 3194 on itunes. how do i change that host file in xp?

Thanks

Do you have the shsh blobs saved for that phone? If not you will always get that error when restoring to firmware apple is no longer signing. You may have to go with 4.3.3 if no blobs saved.

tiny umbrella says i have 4.1 and 4.3.3 saved, how easy is it to go to 4.3? my phone is not jb also.

Thanks

The location of the hosts file on xp is

Csystem32\drivers\etc\hosts

Open with notepad and put a # (number sign) infront of any line in the file that has gs.apple.com save reboot and restore/update to 4.3.3. You should be go to go from there. Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 will jailbreak it for you after the restore.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

rbouza (2011-05-17)

i have 4.3 firmware, the phones on 4.1. i read the how to on this, but just dont wanna lose everything again. i assume to run tinys shsh server then open itunes and restore to 4.3? how can i restore if im at 4.1 ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbouza View Post
    i have 4.3 firmware, the phones on 4.1. i read the how to on this, but just dont wanna lose everything again. i assume to run tinys shsh server then open itunes and restore to 4.3? how can i restore if im at 4.1 ?
    No need to run TU since your going to 4.3.3. Your going to lose setting etc from jailbreak apps unless you use pkgbackup or something similar in cydia. Then just run redsnow and install cydia.

ok it doesnt save the original file, does it?

i got the file saved, but itunes still wont restore or update to 4.3, should i put it in dfu ?
    Last edited by rbouza; 2011-05-17 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If your file is downloaded as a .zip file, just rename the ext from .zip to .ipsw