Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade 3GS OS4 to OS3 with Original iTunes 9.2 back up?

Default Downgrade 3GS OS4 to OS3 with Original iTunes 9.2 back up?
    Hi
    I was originally synching my 3GS with iTunes 9.2 on my Mac Mini (Tiger), then I upgraded to OS4 on my husband's Windows laptop.
    That was a big mistake; I can see no practical benefits in having done so, plus it is really difficult to add or delete content as he and his laptop is so often away on business. Basically, I want to go back to OS3 that I can sync and mess around with on OSX 10.4.3.

Obviously, I can no longer sync on my Mac but the original back ups are still there. I'm not at all technically-minded, but I wonder...
    If I put my phone into DFU (?) mode, can I then re-install my previous back up from my Mac Mini?

My concern is that if I try it, iTunes 9.2 will still not accept my phone and I'll be left with a dead device until my husband (and his bloody laptop) return.

Then again, if I went to Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings, would that also erase the OS?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by NinaA; 2011-05-17 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Erase all contents will put your iPhone into a freezing mode. You can downgrade back to 3.xx if you have the required shsh blob. You can also do a backup restore on the computer which was not used to sync on the IOS 4.xx

Thanks... I think...

shsh blob?

Can you be a bit more specific as to how I should proceed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you downgrade back to IOS 3.xx, after the jailbreak , you can do a backup restore from one of the old backups that was not used on backup restore on the IOS 4.xx ( if you have any in there )

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Check for SHSHs for 3.x with TinyUmbrella. Click Save SHSHs and see what the log says. If you don't have SHSHs for 3.x then you cant downgrade to access your backup.