Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrade 4.2 to 3.1.3

Default Downgrade 4.2 to 3.1.3
    I have an iPhone 3G. I downloaded the 3.1.3 firmware from the download section. I held shift and clicked restore. Found my ipsw. Everything was going good until an error popped up. My phone was basically in lockdown till it somehow updated itself back to 4.2 using backup. Where did I go wrong?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel rx For This Useful Post:

RobbieIscool (2011-05-12)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Do you have SHSH backed up so you can go to 3.1.3?

Naw. I just learned how earlier. I'm downloading tiny umbrella as we speak.

But I do have a question. At the top of cydia. It has my shsh up top. It goes from 4.0 through 4.2.1. Can I still restore back to 3.1.3?
    Last edited by Rebel rx; 2011-05-12 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You have an iPhone 3G? It only needs SHSH backups for 4.0 and onwards, that's why you don't have the backups for 3.1.3.

The critical part in downgrading your 3G is to put your device in DFU mode before you hit restore. You can put your device in DFU mode by holding down your Power and Home buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds and then letting go of the Power button. Continue holding Home for awhile, until iTunes says that it has detected your device in recovery mode.

The difference between recovery mode and DFU is that in DFU there's nothing but an entirely black screen. If you see a "Connect to iTunes" -logo with a cable in the screen, you are in recovery mode, NOT DFU mode.

You will, however, encounter an error. That's error 1015. The error occurs everytime you downgrade, because the baseband version of your previous firmware is higher than the firmware's you are restoring to. There is an easy way out though. After the error, open the TinyUmbrella you downloaded earlier and select your iPhone from the device list. Press 'Exit Recovery' and you should now see the Apple logo in your iPhone screen.

That should do it.
    Last edited by vaillage; 2011-05-12 at 11:02 AM.