Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.1 on 3g is very slow for me and I have been

Default 4.1 on 3g is very slow for me and I have been
    doing some reading and it seems from what I read, 3.13 would be the best to go back to. I have my phone JB and I had tried to downgrade before I JB this but I had no success, always had to restore to 4.1. what is the best way for me to downgrade to 3.13 now that my phone is JB'ed ?

thanks

maachuu

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It depends on whether your phone has the new bootrom or not and whether you have your SHSH blobs stored for a lower firmware. What does Cydia say at the top of the welcome screen?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

maachuu (2010-11-18)

4.1 works good once your dont install the multitasking part, uncheck all the spotlight searches, and dont use background wallpaper.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NuYoRicanX For This Useful Post:

maachuu (2010-11-18)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I just installed it on a 3G yesterday and it is running very nice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

maachuu (2010-11-18)

SHSH IOS 4.0 4.01 4.02 4.1 is at the top of cydia

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NuYoRicanX View Post
    4.1 works good once your dont install the multitasking part, uncheck all the spotlight searches, and dont use background wallpaper.
    can you advise how not to install the multitasking part and uncheck all the spotlight searches ?

thanks

M
    Last edited by maachuu; 2010-11-18 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

go to preferences

general

serach - disable them all

Get nospot from cydia - no search anymore

wallpaper - get yourself acces to filesystem and look for a plist

SSH into your iPhone and browse to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N82AP.plist

Look for wallpaper - if it says true - change the plist to false

Respring

done
    Last edited by tosbsas; 2010-11-18 at 07:40 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tosbsas For This Useful Post:

maachuu (2010-11-18)

Quote Originally Posted by tosbsas View Post
    go to preferences

general

serach - disable them all

Get nospot from cydia - no search anymore

wallpaper - get yourself acces to filesystem and look for a plist

SSH into your iPhone and browse to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N82AP.plist

Look for wallpaper - if it says true - change the plist to false

Respring

done
    Thanks, I am a newbie here and u just lost me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you want to go back to 3.1.3, put your iphone into DFU mode :
    DFU : Plug your iphone in > Hold both button for 10 secs > release the power button but keep holding the Home button for another 10 secs until you hear a sound, screen is black.
    You have to download 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw
    Press Shift key and hit Restore Itunes, browse to 3.1.3 ipsw
    Error 1015 pops up, use Exit recovery from the feature of tiny umbrella.
    Jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.4 but browse to 3.1.2 ipsw.
    You are now jailbroken at 3.1.3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

maachuu (2010-11-18)

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    DFU : Plug your iphone in > Hold both button for 10 secs > release the power button but keep holding the Home button for another 10 secs until you hear a sound, screen is black.
    Thank you sir, greatly appreciated

maachuu

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Thanks again, followed your instructions in this post and I now have 3.13 and it is JB

thanks
    maachuu
    Last edited by maachuu; 2010-11-19 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Okay, something must have gone wrong as I followed these steps. I was able to get it into DFU mode and run to the point where I ran redsn0w. redsnow got to the point where it was waiting for reboot and then simply stopped. My iphone 3GS screen is black and nothing is happening from here. I waited for a long long time to see if it would start up and nada....

I finally unhooked it all and tried to get the phone going and it's dead Jim.

Any suggestions on how to kick start it again? I tried to use RecBoot to exit recovery mode but no luck there. I tried holding the power button down to power cycle it and nothing again.

Okay, I was able to get back to life but I was back at stage 1. I tried the whole procedure again but got locked again at the reboot stage. I will leave my computer running and the phone in this stage but I think it is somehow locking up at the reboot stage. The battery may be low and that may be causing the error. That's all I can think of.
    Last edited by AHolland; 2010-11-26 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks

Are you trying to jailbreak your 3gs at 4.1. You do not use Redsn0w to jailbreak. You only use it to put you into dfu mode and then restore to custom firmware.

Hi, Thanks for responding to my message.

I am looking to downgrade my phone from 4.1 to 3.1.3.
    For some background, I do have the original SHSH files for 3.1.3 stored in tinyumbrella. At least I was that smart earlier on.

My plan is to downgrade the firmware from 4.1 down, then unlock it and jailbreak it. Unless there was some reason to go one way or another, I was going to jailbreak it with Limera1n which I have used before with some success. At least it works for 4.1

I just got back on my computer and I see the iphone is still locked with a black screen with redsnow 0.94 waiting for reboot. My computer is setup so it never goes to sleep outside of the harddrive spooling down. That should have given it plenty of time to finish any reboot under redsnow. Is there any other info you need to help out? I tend to always get the hard ones...

I do have my son's iphone too which is at 4.1, but I did not have it's shsh files so I will not be able to downgrade it to anything lower. The first iphone is a Telus phone that will stay on telus. The second is a telus phone that will go over to bell. both are gsm, not cdma phones, not that that matters I think.

Here is the process I used:

Put phone into DFU mode,
    Start TinyUmbrella server (has all the necessary SHSH files back to 3.1.3)
    Start Itunes,
    Shift-Restore to saved 3.1.3 IPSW file saved when the phone was back at 3.1.3
    Restore phone until I get error 1015
    Stop Tinyumbrella server
    Use RecBoot to take phone out of recovery mode (tinyumbrella exit recovery not highlighted for soem reason)
    Run Redsn0w until it gets to stage where it tells me "rebooting"
    System locks at that stage and phone is in totally black screen.

Only restoring the phone via itunes wil bring it back out of black screen.

I hope this helps point to what I may be doing wrong.
    Last edited by AHolland; 2010-11-26 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks

If you have a 3GS, you jailbreak your 3.1.3 , activate with official sim and jailbreak with Spirit jailbreak, not redsnow.

Okay, I figured out my next issue. Once I finish the reload of 3.1.3, I cannot get to the point where I activate with the SIM card. It just stays in the connect to itunes...need to restore the iphone mode. I did try to use Spirit to jailbreak it, prior to activation as Spirit will tell you which version of firmware you have, as you can see below. So the phone does think it has 3.1.3 software but does not want to go forward with the activation process.

I believe the phone was originally running with a different SIM card, although it is now on Telus up until it got upgraded to 4.1. Is there any way to get it to activate or do I have to somehow find that old SIM card to finish the process. I cannot remember who the original cellular vendor was for the phone. Here is the Spirit error I get which is probably based on the phone not being activated. You can see that it thinks it has 3.1.3

Any suggestions from this point on?

INFO: Now listening for devices...

INFO: read igor/map.plist

INFO: Connected to the AppleMobileDevice.

INFO: Version iPhone2,1_3.1.3

INFO: Connecting to mobilebackup...

INFO: Sending files via AFC.

FATAL(__LINE__): Assertion failed (dl.c:198): 0 == (AMDeviceStartService(dev, service, &it, NULL)) (but it was -402653091)

Last edited by AHolland; 2010-11-27 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks

Did you activate your iphone first before running spirit, if you have itunes 9.1 or higher, spirit will not work.

Is thia a 3g iphone ? If it is then you can use Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-27 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Okay, now I am really confused after looking back at the previous posts.

The phone I am working on is an iphone 3GS currently with ver 4.1 firmware. However I do have the earlier SHSH files from version 3.1.3 firmware. I am currently using itunes 10.x but could easily remove it and put in any version of itunes necessary.

What I wanted to do is to roll the firmware back to version 3.1.3 and then jailbreak it. The phone originally was on some other carrier but I broke it and put it on Telus. Then my friend updated the firmware, wrecking the unlock it had. I basically want to take it back to Telus and to do that I have to unlock it. I thought the easiest way would be to roll the firmware back and go that route. I know I can wait for the unlock to be released later today but they really wanted to get back to firmware vesion 3.1.3 because they beleive it to run faster.

The problem I have run into is that even though I can roll back the firmware, the device does not want to come out of the itunes restore mode. I have tried program like Recboot to bump it out of recovery mode but it still wants to go back to itunes and get restored to 4.1
    Does that give you enough information to go on?

For whatever reason when I did a reboot the phone is now okay and running 3.1.3

Very strange but I guess I don't want to screw around with it from here. Now I just unlock it and jailbreak it and I'm done.

Wow this took a lot of fuss for some reason.

Thanks for the attention to this matter. Hopefully I an help someone else myself.

My frustration continues.

I finally got firmware version 3.1.3 to load and went on to jailbreak teh phone using spirit. Everything up to that point went well.

I then fired up cydia and had all the newest updates etc to install. Everything good so far.

Then I went to Ultrasn0w and tried to intall it. It goes through the process but never seems to finish. The first time I waited for 30 mins and eventually got frustrated, thinking it had maybe installed I rebooted the phone and saw that it looked like it had installed Ultrasn0w but there was no unlock. I then uninstalled U Sn0w again with the same issues.

Is there any clear way to tell if it has fully installed and has anyone else had this issue where the phone does not seem to take Ultrasn0w 1.1-1??

Thanks guys

See if this makes any sense to you guys.

I think Ultrasn0w is getting installed. However, based on earlier comments I went ahead and used Redsn0w to try to jailbreak my phone. In doing so, I think the baseband got upgraded to 5.14.02 and when that happened, I basically killed myself. Now that I have the 5.14.02 baseband it really does not matter that I try to use ultrasn0w because ultrasno0w will not help me unlock that baseband.

I presume I now have to wait for the latest unlock to come out? I am sitting with firmware 3.1.3 and baseband 5.14.02. Any suggestions from here on out to get it unlocked or do I have to wait like everyone else for the latest unlock to drop?

Thanks guys,
    Last edited by AHolland; 2010-11-28 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost