Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help trying to upgrade to custom 4.1 from DFU mode, and stopped halfway

Default Help trying to upgrade to custom 4.1 from DFU mode, and stopped halfway
    Need some help. I recently bought an iphone 3gs with an unlockable baseband but it was running on 3.1.2. When I bought it, it was jailbroken by blackra1n. Since cydia wasnt working properly I thought I would go ahead and reset everything and just rejailbreak it. Well when I did, it got stuck on dfu mode. I tried to make a custom firmware with Pwnage Tool and when I tried to load it into Itunes, it gets halfway into it and says unable to do restore with unknown error. Anything I can do to preserve baseband or just bite the bullet and upgrade to 4.1 with the locked baseband. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you are using a PC, you must use Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to put you into DFU mode and when itunes pops up saying you are in restore mode, do the shift + Restore to the custom firmware of 4.1. Make sure you have Itunes 10.

You need the 3gs 4.1 ipsw when running redsn0w, remember don't use redsn0w to jailbreak.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-06 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm on a mac. My phone is always in dfu mode (connect to itunes picture) So when I plug my iphone in the restore window always pops up. Its just that when I restore to the custom firmware, it stops it when an unknown error halfway thru. Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Since you have a Mac, use Pwnage tools to put you into DFU mode, you cannot do it manually.

You can read this for more info :
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-06 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by im2nice View Post
    I'm on a mac. My phone is always in dfu mode (connect to itunes picture) So when I plug my iphone in the restore window always pops up. Its just that when I restore to the custom firmware, it stops it when an unknown error halfway thru. Thanks for the help!
    If there's any picture at all on your phone's screen, even a "Connect to iTunes" logo, your phone is NOT in DFU mode. Your device's screen should be blank, looking like it's turned off while plugged into the computer (and iTunes will give you the same "iTunes detected a phone in recovery mode" pop-up).

DFU mode is essential for limera1n's family of exploits to work properly, or to get a custom-made IPSW from PwnageTool to restore correctly.

Either PwnageTool OR redsn0w 0.9.6b2 should work for entering the exploitable DFU mode on OS X.
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-11-07 at 09:48 PM.

Yea I thought it was in dfu and turned out it wasnt. Thanks for the help guys, its back and running now with baseband preserved.